CPJ laying the wood to the media

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
PJ's got a way of simplifying things.
As do fans. And as does the media. As does everyone.

Everyone can spin numbers to justify their own argument whether that argument is objectively correct or not.

Specifically, I think those that just looks at our record in the last three years is oversimplifying it as well.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow

Everyone can spin numbers to justify their own argument whether that argument is objectively correct or not.

Specifically, I think those that just looks at our record in the last three years is oversimplifying it as well.
Are you referring to this article? Because it references back to 08.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
In the audio of the signing day presser, is that Schultz asking if PJ blames him for Bobby Petrino? Because that's priceless. FWIW, I think Schultz and PJ actually get along pretty well, as evidenced by the fact they can throw barbs at each other. With PJ, you've got to be able to take his shot and he doesn't mind getting one back, as long as you do it in good humor.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

Putting on my no spin zone hat - I don't see how the W-L record for 08 and 09 are relevant to the discussion of CPJs recruiting classes. C'mon man.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Putting on my no spin zone hat - I don't see how the W-L record for 08 and 09 are relevant to the discussion of CPJs recruiting classes. C'mon man.
I wasn't referring to the article regarding recruiting "rankings". I was talking about the general behavior of oversimplifying _anything_ to fit one's own agenda.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't referring to the article regarding recruiting "rankings". I was talking about the general behavior of oversimplifying _anything_ to fit one's own agenda.
Gotcha. I was referring to the article. I support our coach but I'm not buying his logic on this one.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
smh, a lot of what he said was about conference games. Our conference record has been at the top with the other three. We have no losing conference records in the CPJ tenure. We have had only one 4-4 conference record. IIRC, that's true only of FSU, otherwise

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Just one question though: Why? Why would he decide to do the interview and make that statement?

BEST case: you look defensive.
WORST case: well, it looks like you're trying to make a member of the media look bad. And guess what happens when other members of the media think you're taking on one of their own? They pile on, too.

I posted it on another board, but the old saying holds true: You never pick a fight with a guy who buys his ink by the barrel.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just one question though: Why? Why would he decide to do the interview and make that statement?

WORST case: well, it looks like you're trying to make a member of the media look bad. And guess what happens when other members of the media think you're taking on one of their own? They pile on, too.

I posted it on another board, but the old saying holds true: You never pick a fight with a guy who buys his ink by the barrel.
He was asked a specific question and he gave a specific answer. Anything else your trying to glean from it is just fishing to fit your agenda. He didn't sound defensive one bit to me. He said it matter of factly, he didn't have an aggressive tone or anything. How many times does he have to tell the media he doesn't put any stock in the rankings before they quit asking him about it? It's they're own damn fault if they get a snarky reply, but this was far from snarky.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow

Maybe a pride thing. Maybe it's called being a man and standing up for yourself. Maybe he is tired of the slander. Maybe he knew they weren't going to change their mind about him and this was his chance to strike back. I think he showed a lot of control actually because I would have said a lot more and a lot worse.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Don't care, in the final analysis, about stars / rankings crap.

Care about results on the field.

ACC has not been that great. And CPJ needs to beat the other 3 of those top 4 ACC teams (as defined by him) a lot more than he has. Simple fact, and throw UGa in there as well.