1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

CPJ laying the wood to the media

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by GTRanj, Feb 5, 2014.

1. GTRanj

GTRanj Helluva Engineer

DTGT likes this.
  2. GT Man

GT Man Helluva Engineer

PJ's got a way of simplifying things.

Brian Johnson likes this.
  3. John

John Peacekeeper Staff Member

As do fans. And as does the media. As does everyone.

Everyone can spin numbers to justify their own argument whether that argument is objectively correct or not.

Specifically, I think those that just looks at our record in the last three years is oversimplifying it as well.

4. GTRanj

GTRanj Helluva Engineer

Are you referring to this article? Because it references back to 08.

5. John

No ;)

6. Fatmike91

Fatmike91 Helluva Engineer

Love that photo of CPJ.

(Does anyone have the context? Any idea who he was signaling or why?)

/

7. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

Bravo!

8. swampsting

swampsting Helluva Engineer

In the audio of the signing day presser, is that Schultz asking if PJ blames him for Bobby Petrino? Because that's priceless. FWIW, I think Schultz and PJ actually get along pretty well, as evidenced by the fact they can throw barbs at each other. With PJ, you've got to be able to take his shot and he doesn't mind getting one back, as long as you do it in good humor.

9. Dustman

Dustman Helluva Engineer

Putting on my no spin zone hat - I don't see how the W-L record for 08 and 09 are relevant to the discussion of CPJs recruiting classes. C'mon man.

10. John

I wasn't referring to the article regarding recruiting "rankings". I was talking about the general behavior of oversimplifying _anything_ to fit one's own agenda.

11. Dustman

Dustman Helluva Engineer

Gotcha. I was referring to the article. I support our coach but I'm not buying his logic on this one.

12. MacDaddy2

MacDaddy2 Ramblin' Wreck

It makes him look defensive to the media

13. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

smh, a lot of what he said was about conference games. Our conference record has been at the top with the other three. We have no losing conference records in the CPJ tenure. We have had only one 4-4 conference record. IIRC, that's true only of FSU, otherwise

14. bravejason

bravejason Ramblin' Wreck

It's from one of the first few games last season, probably Elon. I have no idea about who he was looking at or what he was trying to say.

15. gtdrew

gtdrew Banned

He makes some good points.

16. daBuzz

daBuzz Helluva Engineer

Just one question though: Why? Why would he decide to do the interview and make that statement?

BEST case: you look defensive.
    WORST case: well, it looks like you're trying to make a member of the media look bad. And guess what happens when other members of the media think you're taking on one of their own? They pile on, too.

I posted it on another board, but the old saying holds true: You never pick a fight with a guy who buys his ink by the barrel.

17. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

He was asked a specific question and he gave a specific answer. Anything else your trying to glean from it is just fishing to fit your agenda. He didn't sound defensive one bit to me. He said it matter of factly, he didn't have an aggressive tone or anything. How many times does he have to tell the media he doesn't put any stock in the rankings before they quit asking him about it? It's they're own damn fault if they get a snarky reply, but this was far from snarky.

augustabuzz, DTGT and poodleface like this.
  18. UgaBlows

UgaBlows Helluva Engineer

He's got some good points

19. GTRanj

GTRanj Helluva Engineer

Maybe a pride thing. Maybe it's called being a man and standing up for yourself. Maybe he is tired of the slander. Maybe he knew they weren't going to change their mind about him and this was his chance to strike back. I think he showed a lot of control actually because I would have said a lot more and a lot worse.

20. TheSilasSonRising

TheSilasSonRising Helluva Engineer

Don't care, in the final analysis, about stars / rankings crap.

Care about results on the field.

ACC has not been that great. And CPJ needs to beat the other 3 of those top 4 ACC teams (as defined by him) a lot more than he has. Simple fact, and throw UGa in there as well.