CPJ interview - Nov 11

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
There were 5 DL in the 2018 class: Dingle, Chimedza, Griffin, Domineck, Johns

There were 4 OL in the 2018 class: Austin Smith, Maye, Jump, McKeehan

To my knowledge, only McKeehan has left the team.
Yes I was talking about ATL DL and OL. Jump and Maye ATL OL, Dingle and Chimedza ATL DL, Griffin and Domineck have improved this year but don’t think they were ATL for Clemson.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes I was talking about ATL DL and OL. Jump and Maye ATL OL, Dingle and Chimedza ATL DL, Griffin and Domineck have improved this year but don’t think they were ATL for Clemson.

So you are judging a recruiting class on how many redshirt freshmen & true sophomores were ATL on the OL and DL for the first game of their second season?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You’re the one that brought up one specific recruiting class. So idk how you can spin this.

Below is your post where you specifically said 2018

How stupid does comparing something Paul actually did, lose fan support and fail to recruit in 2018, to something that happened to MSU when Collins wasn’t there? Must of really struck a nerve there for you to ignore facts and bring up hypotheticals.

I asked for clarification on what you meant by this and you answered he only recruited 2 OL and 2 DL, which is patently false. You then moved the goalposts and stated only 2 OL and 2 DL were ATL for the first game of their second year. I was neither spinning nor accusing you of anything, but rather trying to get clarification on a definition of what you meant by "failing to recruit" in 2018. I think we both agree CGC was, is, and will be a better recruiter than CPJ, but you don't have to resort to hyperbole and falsehoods to sell me on that point.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We didn't recruit ol and dl last year for class balance reasons. You are forgetting the tragedy we suffered Steam. When johnson was recruiting he was rightfully expecting to have big B as the nose tackle in a 3-4. That would have opened up Owens and Glanton at ends You'd have had Curry and Swilling at middle backers and Thomas and Dingle or Dominick or Carpenter at outside backer. Walton and Swilling would have been yoru corners and your safeties would have been Oliver and Thomas. Carpenter would have been the flex (stinger) that kind of played both nickle and backer. That line up with TK Griffen Camp and everyone would have made a pretty solid lineup for what woody was reportedly trying to do.

We shifted back to running a 4-2-5 which meant we had undersize rush LB playing end. We lost Big B. And then we lost Lee to injury first the injury to someone on on the line forcing him to go back to offense, then his own injury.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Below is your post where you specifically said 2018

I asked for clarification on what you meant by this and you answered he only recruited 2 OL and 2 DL, which is patently false. You then moved the goalposts and stated only 2 OL and 2 DL were ATL for the first game of their second year. I was neither spinning nor accusing you of anything, but rather trying to get clarification on a definition of what you meant by "failing to recruit" in 2018. I think we both agree CGC was, is, and will be a better recruiter than CPJ, but you don't have to resort to hyperbole and falsehoods to sell me on that point.
With all the back tracking and fact checking it’s seems like you are the one “moving goal post” I don’t see how talking about ATL OL is moving them and I follow recruiting harder then anyone on this site and have 1,000 followers that’s trust my opinion on it and you think I really thought we only took 2 DL and OL? Come on.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
With all the back tracking and fact checking it’s seems like you are the one “moving goal post” I don’t see how talking about ATL OL is moving them and I follow recruiting harder then anyone on this site and have 1,000 followers that’s trust my opinion on it and you think I really thought we only took 2 DL and OL? Come on.

What goal post did I move? I can only work with what you say. I was curious what you meant by failure to recruit and you stated this.

But the failures in 2018 were getting 2 OL and 2 DL leaving us with what we have now.

The appeal to authority fallacy is a nice touch.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I would also like to state emphatically that I know you follow recruiting closely and I appreciate a lot of your insight on the subject. My quibble is when you resort to hyperbole to bash a former coach. I am a CGC supporter as well as I was a CPJ supporter because first and foremost I am a Georgia Tech supporter.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for this, I needed it on this crappy Monday.
FA174F54-7E8A-4D5D-872F-0935E15965F0.jpeg

Happy Monday to you.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I would also like to state emphatically that I know you follow recruiting closely and I appreciate a lot of your insight on the subject. My quibble is when you resort to hyperbole to bash a former coach. I am a CGC supporter as well as I was a CPJ supporter because first and foremost I am a Georgia Tech supporter.
Yea could’ve worded it better but like I said earlier the failure to recruit wasn’t just a mention of 2018 but a support to the fact of my original post that Tech was worse off this year then when Paul got here.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We didn't recruit ol and dl last year for class balance reasons.
We had two OL commits, but CGC didn't sign them. Their future is most likely brighter at other schools (one is a DL at Louisville) due to scheme fit, but it's not like CPJ was going to sign zero OL. That was a CGC decision and probably the correct one.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You're only highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the two coaches. It's undeniable that Collins is a better recruiter than CPJ. That's not what we're talking about. The accusation is CPJ left the program in a worse position than when he arrived. For that to be true, CGC wouldn't be able to point to any those very real, special, and uncommon accomplishments cited during his recruiting pitches, which I highly doubt he intentionally ignores or downplays like seemingly some of our own fans.

Here is where I have to get into perception. I just saw a twitter exchange where a college football fan said "Tech hasn't been good since Calvin". Now, to you and I, that is an absurd statement, but that sentiment is soooo common you wouldn't believe it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The scheme had no affect on defensive recruiting. The offense didn’t really need any better recruiting. We were constantly in the top 30 in scoring every year. And if we were able to build a better defense we could have easily averaged around 10 wins a season without changing our offensive players. If we were winning like that then we’d probably have gotten more talent on offense eventually too because people like to play for a winner.

Our Points per game:

2018: 33
2017: 27.2
2016: 27.7
2015: 25.6
2014: 37.8
2013: 29.1
2012: 31.6
2011: 31.9
2010: 24.8
2009: 33.5
2008: 24.2

Now look at points per game for the 50th best Defense every year:
2018: 25.9
2017: 26.1
2016: 26.7
2015: 26.5
2014: 26.2(It was us!)
2013: 25.8
2012: 26.6
2011: 25.3
2010: 24.7
2009: 24.8
2008: 23.6

A 50th ranked defense is not asking for much. That would have been enough for us to win a lot of games with the exact same offense. Now, was poor defensive recruiting/development primarily a money thing or primarily a flaw of CPJ? That’s up for debate, but I would guess the chances of succeeding on that side would be better with more money than without it.
See post below...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It is way harder to scheme away lesser talent on defense that offense. Some say Tenuta did it, but he had some darn good players to work with.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is where I have to get into perception. I just saw a twitter exchange where a college football fan said "Tech hasn't been good since Calvin". Now, to you and I, that is an absurd statement, but that sentiment is soooo common you wouldn't believe it.

I don't doubt you. More reason our own fans shouldn't be repeating such nonsense. CPJ speaks to this mistake, too, when he admits he (and the GTAA) completely dropped the ball capitalizing on '09 and '14.

When Collins gets us back there, I'm giddy thinking about what sort of marketing and fund raising ideas he'll be able to cook up to take things into the stratosphere. I mean - the man was able to turn a dozen or so of those catapult system things into outfitting for the entire team based on having a pulse on the fanbase over how dope his 404 hats were for crying out loud. Didnt we raise like 200K for that in a month or something? We bought like $200 hats, basically.

What he would do, in that area, after a couple of OBs and ACC title game appearances and wins would be for the ages around here.

Last edited: