CPJ interview - Nov 11

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you for take. Always great to see facts brought the board. 2 points stuck out:

1) Wow... 12-15/games is disrespectful? Unless you’re Wisconsin/ Jonathan Taylor, most 1000yd backs like Swift & Etienne are only getting those numbers. How many carries would’ve been adequate?

4) So the record is the record and will be that no matter the years, but you deem your son would give the team an extra 4-5 wins. Would you elaborate what about your son skill set that would’ve changed GTFB season?
You didn't ask me, but to clarify, the OP said "plays," not "carries." That may be an important difference.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
He said 15-20 RB plays per game with 7-10 guaranteed to a 1000 yard back ... I took that to mean that overall the RB's would get 15-20 carries per game and that Kirvonte was told he would only be getting about 7-10 of those.

kirkbenson71

Georgia Tech Fan
Thank you for take. Always great to see facts brought the board. 2 points stuck out:

1) Wow... 12-15/games is disrespectful? Unless you’re Wisconsin/ Jonathan Taylor, most 1000yd backs like Swift & Etienne are only getting those numbers. How many carries would’ve been adequate?

4) So the record is the record and will be that no matter the years, but you deem your son would give the team an extra 4-5 wins. Would you elaborate what about your son skill set that would’ve changed GTFB season?

1st it was 7-10 for him and that's if the QB doesn't keep it (as week 10 QB account for 45% of the carries) (fyi Taquon was 53%) which is a coaching prerogative but informing us in July 2019 is my issue. 2nd I don't concern myself about other players but just so you our aware Clemson came after Kirvonte hard... over 45 contacts but we stayed loyal to GA Tech (Thank Andy McCollum) . There is no Etienne if we go there instead to tech. Etienne is just in a better system not necessarily the better back. 2017 was both their 1st year playing (Etienne had 766 yards to Kirvonte's 1053) and even if you add in the extra 12 touches he ends the season at 868.40 yards . 3rd Kirvonte in the half back stance- able to see the defense ahead of time with no ball hog or option to wear him down with hits every play... +1600 yards this season easily. ... that's murder on the ACC.

FYI 2017 1053 yards total with 993.58 yards after first/second contact. That means he is able to perform without a front line. He was averaging 8 (7.76) yards a carry before getting hurt at USF in the option with no real help. This system at least offered him a 4-5 yard running head start, standing, before 1st contact... which with his style would have made him a walking 1st down in this system. Plus he had Mason to help him. Tech would have been trouble for the ACC with him and we know what it is without him. Right now they have little more than 1500 total passing yards to keep the box unloaded... come on! Kirvonte would have been up against a Linebacker to beat every game 6-8 yards before the made contact with each other. That equates to a 7-2 record right now in my book if not 8-1 (keeping it honest with Temple). Simply he would have wore opposing teams defense down trying to stop him instead of them wearing tech's defense down; Again no option to tire him out.

Lastly put him in replace of any of the backs you mentioned, with their front line assistance... he'd be the top back in the country... Facts! 1000 yards is 1000 yards. Why do you say they should be respected with touches and not Kirvonte? Did you forget he was the only back in the country to have 100 yards against Clemson... switch them (him and Etienne) does Etienne do the same? No knock on the kid... but yo know he doesn't. Like I said no respect from Tech. If I would have allow him to go to the camps, paid the money for the useless stat rating, he'd be a 5 star back and everyone on here would be raving for him.. he performed like a 5 star with a selfish QB and a non committed & undeveloped line, gave 1000 yards, and sacrificed a knee for the program. Now the new coach comes in and still no respect. Its crazy!

Last edited:

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
I loved watching Benson play he was just as effective with the football as he was blocking without. 7-10 touches a game isn't awful considering the depth we have in the backfield. Also helps to keep him fresh throughout the season and hopefully healthy for a shot at the pros if that's his goal. That said unless he could've grown into a linemen over the off season there wasn't much he could do to help the woes we've had this year.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
1st it was 7-10 for him and that's if the QB doesn't keep it (as week 10 QB account for 45% of the carries) (fyi Taquon was 53%) which is a coaching prerogative but informing us in July 2019 is my issue. 2nd I don't concern myself about other players but just so you our aware Clemson came after Kirvonte hard... over 45 contacts but we stayed loyal to GA Tech (Thank Andy McCollum) . There is no Etienne if we go there instead to tech. Etienne is just in a better system not necessarily the better back. 2017 was both their 1st year playing (Etienne had 766 yards to Kirvonte's 1053) and even if you add in the extra 12 touches he ends the season at 868.40 yards . 3rd Kirvonte in the half back stance- able to see the defense ahead of time with no ball hog or option to wear him down with hits every play... +1600 yards this season easily. ... that's murder on the ACC.

FYI 2017 1053 yards total with 993.58 yards after first/second contact. That means he is able to perform without a front line. He was averaging 8 (7.76) yards a carry before getting hurt at USF in the option with no real help. This system at least offered him a 4-5 yard running head start, standing, before 1st contact... which with his style would have made him a walking 1st down in this system. Plus he had Mason to help him. Tech would have been trouble for the ACC with him and we know what it is without him. Right now they have little more than 1500 total passing yards to keep the box unloaded... come on! Kirvonte would have been up against a Linebacker to beat every game 6-8 yards befpr the made contact with each other. That equates to a 7-2 record right now in my book if not 8-1 (keeping it honest with Temple). Simply he would have wore opposing teams defense down trying to stop him instead of them wearing tech's defense down; Again no option to tire him out.

Lastly put him in replace of any of the backs you mentioned, with their front line assistance... he'd be the top back in the country... Facts! 1000 yards is 1000 yards. Why do you say they should be respected with touches and not Kirvonte? Did you forget he was the only back in the country to have 100 yards against Clemson... switch them (him and Etienne) does Etienne do the same? No knock on the kid... but yo know he doesn't. Like I said no respect from Tech. If I would have allow him to go to the camps, paid the money for the useless stat rating, he'd be a 5 star back and everyone on here would be raving for him.. he performed like a 5 star with a selfish QB and a non committed & undeveloped line, gave 1000 yards, and sacrificed a knee for the program. Now the new coach comes in and still no respect. Its crazy!

Thank you for your response.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

FYI 2017 1053 yards total with 993.58 yards after first/second contact. That means he is able to perform without a front line. He was averaging 8 (7.76) yards a carry before getting hurt at USF in the option with no real help. This system at least offered him a 4-5 yard running head start, standing, before 1st contact... which with his style would have made him a walking 1st down in this system. Plus he had Mason to help him. Tech would have been trouble for the ACC with him and we know what it is without him. Right now they have little more than 1500 total passing yards to keep the box unloaded... come on! Kirvonte would have been up against a Linebacker to beat every game 6-8 yards befpr the made contact with each other. That equates to a 7-2 record right now in my book if not 8-1 (keeping it honest with Temple). Simply he would have wore opposing teams defense down trying to stop him instead of them wearing tech's defense down; Again no option to tire him out.

I won't speculate on what would have been this season, but losing Benson last year was an incredible set back.

If I would have allow him to go to the camps, paid the money for the useless stat rating, he'd be a 5 star back and everyone on here would be raving for him
This is one of the things I hate about how recruiting works. Kirvonte was an absolute monster for us, and I'm sure he'd have been a monster anywhere he suited up.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

5) How would KB have stopped the UNC offense from repeatedly scoring on our defense?

KirVonte is nowhere near done playing football... Ill keep the particulars to myself. But out of respect for my son I won't go all the way in... but an average of 15-20 running (back) plays a game with 7-10 guaranteed to a 1000 yard back is disrespectful and letting us now that in July 2019 is a spit in our face. Fact 2 Mls severe tear is not a 2nd acl tear... 18 months without surgery and it heals on ts own, 6-12 months with surgery; the acl talk is valid but just a re-repair of the first repair that Dr X deemed was not efficient for a running back (and he still gave y'all 1000 yrds on it). Fact 3 KirVonte is squatting 495 on that leg 25 times with ease (2nd Acl tear my a$$) Finally Fact 4 a 2-10 records speaks for itself... more like 1-10, Miami was a flook win and I do not see that changing no matter how many years you give ole boy in this system. With KirVonte you probable beat everyone except Clemson, Va Tech and Georgia, and those games would have been / would be close based on his pride alone. Again out of respect for my son... no disrespect to the program... but as I stated before GT has not showed him much love over his time there and it remains the same... and that's disrespectful. There is a lot of chatter on this forum... but numbers speak for themselves. Lets let time give us the numbers that speak for themselves for Geoff.

Thank you sir and thank you for your son and his playing at Tech. I agree with much of what you said and I hope for the best for Kirvonte.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer

FYI 2017 1053 yards total with 993.58 yards after first/second contact. That means he is able to perform without a front line. He was averaging 8 (7.76) yards a carry before getting hurt at USF in the option with no real help. This system at least offered him a 4-5 yard running head start, standing, before 1st contact... which with his style would have made him a walking 1st down in this system. Plus he had Mason to help him. Tech would have been trouble for the ACC with him and we know what it is without him. Right now they have little more than 1500 total passing yards to keep the box unloaded... come on! Kirvonte would have been up against a Linebacker to beat every game 6-8 yards before the made contact with each other. That equates to a 7-2 record right now in my book if not 8-1 (keeping it honest with Temple). Simply he would have wore opposing teams defense down trying to stop him instead of them wearing tech's defense down; Again no option to tire him out.

Thank you for the update and I agree with you. Can’t wait too see Kivonte back toting the rock.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I often see Duke used as the great example of increased spending re:recruiting. However, when you look at the recruiting results, they are almost identical to ours. Yet, the on-field results of the last half of PJ's tenure here were extremely lop-sided.

I really don't know how you can't understand this.

For the following I picked 2014 as the cutoff as that, I felt, marked the beginning of Duke turning the tide against GT.

2008-2013: Duke's average recruiting ranking was 63 (GT=50) and they won 31 games in 6 years.
2014-2018: Duke's average recruiting ranking is 51 (GT =50) and they won 36 games in 5 years.

This matches the point I made in another post a long time ago which folks seem to constantly ignore.

DUKE WAS THE CELLAR DWELLER OF THE ACC. THEIR INCREASED SPENDING BROUGHT THEM TO OUR LEVEL.

So are you correct in saying "they are almost identical to ours", but that's because they RAISED themselves to our level by pouring resources into their program. Why is this so hard to understand? If they are pouring money into their program and climbed to our level, it shouldn't be a surprise that their win total in 1 fewer year is higher.

He said 15-20 RB plays per game with 7-10 guaranteed to a 1000 yard back ... I took that to mean that overall the RB's would get 15-20 carries per game and that Kirvonte was told he would only be getting about 7-10 of those.

And this right here is scary to me. That means his plan assuming we run 60 plays a game....a rather low amount, is to become a pass happy team, 70%....Hello Bill Lewis 2. I hope our defense is prepared to be on the field most of the game.....oh wait, we just saw that in action.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

No offense but you come off very biased in your post. It is not a fact he would be the top back in the country if he was on a different team. It can't be proven true or false so it just isn't a fact. Same with the argument for Etienne not running for 100 against Clemson. There's no way to know if he would or not. You compare total yards as a freshman against Etienne acting like total yards somehow proves a point. Etienne had only 107 total carries and averaged nearly 2 ypc more than Benson. Clemson just also had Feaster getting 107 carries on something like 6 ypc iirc. Those type of statements just show your bias.

1000 yards is 1000 yards but a big reason for that was Benson had 204 touches for 5.2 ypc. That 5.2 ypc is good for a freshman and who know how he would have developed had he not gotten injured but 5.2 ypc is not overly impressive from a bback in Johnson's offense. Here are the ypc the leading bbacks had under Johnson.

08 - Dwyer - 7.0
09 - Dwyer - 5.9
10 - Allen - 5.5
11 - Sims - 5.2
12 - Laskey - 5.2 Sims - 4.7
13 - Sims - 5.5 Laskey 5.8
14 - Days - 5.9 Laskey - 5.0
15 - Marshall - 7.6 Skov - 4.1
16 - Mills - 5.1 Marshall 6.5
17 - Benson - 5.2
18 - Mason - 6.1 Howard - 5.3

All of those backs were in the same system dealing with the same things that Kirvonte dealt with.

So yeah, 7-10 carries per game would be around 90-120 carries total which is pretty much in line with what backs get when they are splitting the load. Considering we had 2 guys who produced similar per carry to him, and he was coming off an injury and no, that isn't no respect.

If Kirvonte really is everything you said then I'm sure he'll land somewhere and prove it. Until then though....

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Ok these posts are long so im trying to figure out if the issue with KB (dad?) is with Paul, Geoff or both? I just skimmed through most posts. Not trying to debate just curious.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Ok these posts are long so im trying to figure out if the issue with KB (dad?) is with Paul, Geoff or both? I just skimmed through most posts. Not trying to debate just curious.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to uniform color I think. But i don't get to read all of the posts with my work schedule and my new passion for essential oils.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow

thank you and your son for his sacrifice. I agree that your son is an amazing talent. Can you give us an update on his plans. Obviously the knee is doing good. I feel for him. I’ve torn 3 ACL’s myself (2 right, 1 left). I will always be a fan, so I would greatly appreciate any update I what his plans are. I’m sorry you have to put up with the nonsense of some of the fonts on here.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don't know how you can't understand this.

For the following I picked 2014 as the cutoff as that, I felt, marked the beginning of Duke turning the tide against GT.

2008-2013: Duke's average recruiting ranking was 63 (GT=50) and they won 31 games in 6 years.
2014-2018: Duke's average recruiting ranking is 51 (GT =50) and they won 36 games in 5 years.

This matches the point I made in another post a long time ago which folks seem to constantly ignore.

DUKE WAS THE CELLAR DWELLER OF THE ACC. THEIR INCREASED SPENDING BROUGHT THEM TO OUR LEVEL.

So are you correct in saying "they are almost identical to ours", but that's because they RAISED themselves to our level by pouring resources into their program. Why is this so hard to understand? If they are pouring money into their program and climbed to our level, it shouldn't be a surprise that their win total in 1 fewer year is higher.

So what's the excuse for them winning 5 of the last 6 against us even though the recruiting is on our level?

And what's the excuse for us barely recruiting metro ATL at all prior to CGC's arrival? Why are these questions ignored?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Maybe someone should total up the near Atlanta recruits to dispense with the didn’t recruit locally narrative? I had a few minutes the other day and either 2 or 3 classes back half the signing class was from nearby GT. Other classes were 40%. How much should be local, 60% or 70% or more? Anyone have any idea what this year’s class is?

What defines local? An hour away or less, 15
mins, 2 hrs? Somebody must have the official rules in this and we can slap the numbers down and see what they really are or are not.

No offense but you come off very biased in your post. It is not a fact he would be the top back in the country if he was on a different team. It can't be proven true or false so it just isn't a fact. Same with the argument for Etienne not running for 100 against Clemson. There's no way to know if he would or not. You compare total yards as a freshman against Etienne acting like total yards somehow proves a point. Etienne had only 107 total carries and averaged nearly 2 ypc more than Benson. Clemson just also had Feaster getting 107 carries on something like 6 ypc iirc. Those type of statements just show your bias.

1000 yards is 1000 yards but a big reason for that was Benson had 204 touches for 5.2 ypc. That 5.2 ypc is good for a freshman and who know how he would have developed had he not gotten injured but 5.2 ypc is not overly impressive from a bback in Johnson's offense. Here are the ypc the leading bbacks had under Johnson.

08 - Dwyer - 7.0
09 - Dwyer - 5.9
10 - Allen - 5.5
11 - Sims - 5.2
12 - Laskey - 5.2 Sims - 4.7
13 - Sims - 5.5 Laskey 5.8
14 - Days - 5.9 Laskey - 5.0
15 - Marshall - 7.6 Skov - 4.1
16 - Mills - 5.1 Marshall 6.5
17 - Benson - 5.2
18 - Mason - 6.1 Howard - 5.3

All of those backs were in the same system dealing with the same things that Kirvonte dealt with.

So yeah, 7-10 carries per game would be around 90-120 carries total which is pretty much in line with what backs get when they are splitting the load. Considering we had 2 guys who produced similar per carry to him, and he was coming off an injury and no, that isn't no respect.

If Kirvonte really is everything you said then I'm sure he'll land somewhere and prove it. Until then though....

So not to keep up with the KB side but these stats are very interesting and provide another story. In CPJs offense the B-back basically runs 2 plays. The dive and the option. Yes there are wheel routes and such but the two I just spoke of are the main plays. The YPC has another variance. When the B-back is running the Speed or load option the chances for a bigger play are much greater than the dive so YPC has another variant, how many times did the B-back run the option play and of those how many times did the QB pitch the ball.

Now I am not going to go back and check stats on this but in my mind, it seems that Dwyer, Laskey, Days, and Marshall got to run a lot more option than the others. Also the QBs at that time,Nesbitt, Washington, and JT5 were more apt to pitch than keep. We know that our last QB under CPJ kept the ball quite a bit more....just an observation that could affect YPC.

kirkbenson71

Georgia Tech Fan
Finally the truth has come back to TECH! Like I said no respect no matter how many facts I put out there. The naysayers seen it with their own eyes on 2017 and 2018 and still disrespect my son. No back that you mentioned up top would have given you 1000 yards with what Kirvonte had to deal with in 2017-Facts! WOW! I'm done on here.... mediocrity at its best... We'll see next year! Much love/respect to the ones that appreciated the talent. To the others time will record who's right and wrong.