CPJ interview - Nov 11

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
How many staff recruiters do we have? Not asking to spitball I want to know if we have as many as Duke

GM- Patrick Suddes
Player Personnel Associate Director- Mike Gregory
Player Personnel Associate Director- Thomas Guerry
analyst offense- Joe Battaglia
analyst defense- Anthony Parker
Recruiting and Marketing Coordinator- Brittany McCormick
Digital Content Coordinator- Brad Ahern
Director of on campus Recruiting- Carina Hargreaves
Offensive Analyst>> Chris Ostrowsky
Staff Assistant- Rod Rook-Chungong

Could be more but not sure if they fall under recruiting umbrella

martinezjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, being that TQM had graduated and we would be running behind TO, who never had a problem moving the offense, I wouldn't chalk it as a loss.

Pitt this year is BAD. We barely lost to a BAD team even with our new offense struggling to make the transition this year.

We may have a different definition of bad. Pitt is 6-3, tied for second in the Coastal. Beat UCF after 27 straight regular season wins, and only lost at top ten PSU 17-13.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, being that TQM had graduated and we would be running behind TO, who never had a problem moving the offense, I wouldn't chalk it as a loss.

Pitt this year is BAD. We barely lost to a BAD team even with our new offense struggling to make the transition this year.

I’m not sayin Pitt is good, but they’ve already clinched their bowl game. So to say their bad is doing them a disservice.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
GM- Patrick Suddes
Player Personnel Associate Director- Mike Gregory
Player Personnel Associate Director- Thomas Guerry
analyst offense- Joe Battaglia
analyst defense- Anthony Parker
Recruiting and Marketing Coordinator- Brittany McCormick
Digital Content Coordinator- Brad Ahern
Director of on campus Recruiting- Carina Hargreaves
Staff Assistant- Rod Rook-Chungong

Could be more but not sure if they fall under recruiting umbrella

According to the 2019 roster on the official GT site there are now 45 people associated with Football including coaches and staff. Now, this list appears to include office staff as well. Conversely, the Duke website is harder to read. There are 32 people under the football heading, but they have entire other departments listed that support ALL sports, not just football. Some of those departments list specific people assigned to football. In all, there are the 32 people assigned under football and a minimum of 50 more, likely closer to 70, that support football operations at Duke. That's just insane.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Credit to Kelly Quinlan

STAFF FROM 2018 shifted to 2019
HC- Paul Johnson >> Geoff Collins
QB- Craig Candeto >> Dave Patenaude (also OC)
RB- Lamar Owens >>> Tashard Choice
WR- Buzz Preston >>> Kerry Dixon
OT- Ron West >>> Chris Wiesehan (also TE)
OL- Mike Sewak >>> Brent Key
DC/LB- Nate Woody >>> Andrew Thacker
DL- Jerome Riase >>> Larry Knight
LB- Andy McCollum >>> Marco Coleman (also DE)
S- Shiel Wood >>> Nate Burton (also co-DC)
CB- Joe Speed >>> Jeff Popovich
S&C- John Sisk >>> Lewis Caralla
Director of Applied Sciences- Ryan Horton
Player Development coach- Zach Reed (retained)
Player Development coach- Alex Derenthal >>> Gus Felder >>> Kyle Seger
Player Development coach- Chrus Turner >>> Edward Thompson
Football Research and Analytics Coordinator- Pat Boyle
Chief of Staff- Vince Sinagra

GA OFF- Errin Joe (retained)
GA OFF- Nick Newsome (retained)
GA DEF- Trey Money >> VACANT
GA DEF- Tyson Wachenheim (retained)
Quality Control- Paul Nichols >> Will Glover
Defensive Quality Control- Bryan Cook >> Jason Semore
Defensive Quality Control- Tim McGrath >>> Tim Conner
Staff Assistant- Rod Rook-Chungong (retained)
DFO- Mike Huff >>> Scott Wallace
Assistant DFO- Kevin Cone (retained)
Director of Player Personnel- Andy Lutz >>> Patrick Suddes (re-branded as GM with expanded role)
Player Personnel Associate Director- Cody Moore>>> Mike Gregory
Player Personnel Associate Director- Tevin Washington >>> Thomas Guerry
Player Personnel Associate- Paul Hamilton>> Joe Battaglia (re-branded as analyst offense)
Player Personnel Associate- Thomas Balkcom >>> Anthony Parker (re-branded as analyst defense)
Recruiting and Marketing Coordinator- Brittany McCormick (retained)
Digital Content Coordinator- Ryan Wise >>> Brad Ahern
Director of on campus Recruiting- Sarah Woodruff>> Carina Hargreaves
Brand Manager- Santino Stancato
Equipment- Tom Conner (retained)
Assistant Equipment- Punt Windham (retained)
Video Operations- Todd McCarthy (retained)
Head Trainer- Mark Smith (retained)
Assistant Trainer- Eric Avila (retained)
Administrative Coordinator- Teri Anton

bold are new positions entirely.
+4

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Credit to Kelly Quinlan

Director of Player Personnel- Andy Lutz >>> Patrick Suddes (re-branded as GM with expanded role)
Player Personnel Associate- Paul Hamilton>> Joe Battaglia (re-branded as analyst offense)
Player Personnel Associate- Thomas Balkcom >>> Anthony Parker (re-branded as analyst defense)

+4

This looks similar to what is on the GT site. Roughly 45 total positions. Now go look at the Duke site and see how theirs is set up. They have a far better system in place, likely because of the national phenomenon that is Duke Basketball. They just finally decided to spend real money on football....

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This looks similar to what is on the GT site. Roughly 45 total positions. Now go look at the Duke site and see how theirs is set up. They have a far better system in place, likely because of the national phenomenon that is Duke Basketball. They just finally decided to spend real money on football....
They decided to spend money on football when they hired Cutcliffe. Anthony Dilweg, a former QB , has been very successful in the RTP area. He got a bunch of his cohorts together and they raised a lot of money for FB. They really upgraded the stadium. Too bad nobody comes to the games.
We desperately need to upgrade our stadium. Seat backs, better concession area and bath rooms.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
They decided to spend money on football when they hired Cutcliffe. Anthony Dilweg, a former QB , has been very successful in the RTP area. He got a bunch of his cohorts together and they raised a lot of money for FB. They really upgraded the stadium. Too bad nobody comes to the games.
We desperately need to upgrade our stadium. Seat backs, better concession area and bath rooms.

Please Lord on seatbacks.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Where are you seeing 50-70 more people? All I see is the 32 listed under football.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Where are you seeing 50-70 more people? All I see is the 32 listed under football.

Read my entire post, then go back and look at their organization. A LOT of other support services are broken out differently.

Edit to add that it appears they leverage their entire AA way better than we do ours, which is probably a difference maker.

Edited again to add that they compete in 21 sports to our 14, allowing for some of the extra staff, but I am not sure how much additional support staff some of those smaller sports really require. I was just impressed with the sheer numbers of their AA and how it's laid out.

Last edited:

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
I did, and I assume you are talking about people listed under headings like:

Academic Services, Athletic Medicine, Athletic Facilities, Administration, Compliance, Digital Media, etc.? If that is what you are talking about, maybe you need to take a gander at our staff page, because I count 70-100 more people on staff, besides those listed under football, that contribute to the football program in some way also for us.

https://ramblinwreck.com/staff-directory/

I would assume the people under these categories at GT contribute to football:

Executive Staff, A-T Fund, Brand and Ideation, Business, Broadcasting, Communications and PR, Compliance, Equipment, Facilities and Event Operations, GT IMG Sports Marketing, Innovation, Marketing and Fan Experience, Player Development, Sports Medicine, Student Services, Total Person Program/Letterwinners Club.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I did, and I assume you are talking about people listed under headings like:

Academic Services, Athletic Medicine, Athletic Facilities, Administration, Compliance, Digital Media, etc.? If that is what you are talking about, maybe you need to take a gander at our staff page, because I count 70-100 more people on staff, besides those listed under football, that contribute to the football program in some way also.

https://ramblinwreck.com/staff-directory/

I did. We have some additional but a lot of ours are listed twice. Lew Caralla is I know on there twice in different areas. Also, I was not countine special events, ticketing, etc, but rather focusing on equipment, brand, sports medicine, player development, etc.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
I did. We have some additional but a lot of ours are listed twice. Lew Caralla is I know on there twice in different areas. Also, I was not countine special events, ticketing, etc, but rather focusing on equipment, brand, sports medicine, player development, etc.
I only saw about 6-7 people listed twice. And just in those type categories you listed I have a rough count of 60-70 additional staff for GT. Say take away 10 duplicates and that's 50-60 support staff. Plus we have 12-13 more than Duke listed on football staff... so seems to me that it's about even.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
On point #5, Saban does not have to "cheat" - guys are lined up (especially on the D side) because he has shown he gives them a great chance to reach the NFL with less chance of injury (he even has letters written by Belichick and others that he uses on the recruiting trail), since they have more depth and can play guys less downs. I say that with the understanding that I dislike Bammer almost as much as I dislike UGAG. Allbarn has always cheated to try to keep up with Bammer. There are many other schools that have to cheat to have a chance in the SEC - Ole Miss is one of them, but it could also by Texas A&M, UGAG, or other. I don't believe it is BAMMER that was being referred to, although I am sure that their alumni do the handshakes there as well as anywhere.

As a native of Alabama, I can say with certainty that both Auburn and Alabama have provided incentives to players. Both were before the current regimes of Gus and Nick. I’m sure it goes on today, just less overtly.

Scubapro

Banned
Credit to Kelly Quinlan

+4
Thanks for getting thid

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if I feel like reading this whole thread because I can just see how this thread is going to go. I did like when CPJ said (I am paraphrasing) "if me leaving is what it takes for them to get more money, then good for the program." He seems to be a pretty good GT guy to me. Him saying it is unacceptable for GT to be 13 of 14 in budget is exactly right. I believe in TStan having a plan to fix that.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
A couple of more detailed notes from last night at Macon Touchdown Club:

1. NCAA investigation that led to vacating ACC Championship was started under claim that a student had his cell phone paid by someone. Student was able to produce records of his mother paying all his cell phone bills. So when that lead dried up, instead of saying "glad we got that cleared up" - the NCAA went on to perform a fishing expedition by interviewing EVERY player one-on-one, where they found the jacket and hat gift. The rest is history....

2. While at Navy, CPJ was contacted by Nebraska the weekend before the Army/Navy game. They asked him to interview for the head coach job on Monday in ATL. He told them out of respect to Navy and its players, he wouldn't be free until after the game. An hour after the call Osborn himself called and said they couldn't wait and were gonna move on. GT called the next day and said they'd wait a week to interview. The rest is history...

3. He confirmed what we all know at this point, payers are getting paid already by the big teams. Said a top notch D-lineman is gonna run $200k! He feels the only way paying players doesn't get out of hand is if every college player gets paid the same amount. Otherwise, recruiting visits will just become discussions about what sponsors each school will be able to line up to pay the player. He thinks theres a good chance of another realignment over paying players. Said big programs will split off and smaller low budget schools would be left out, thus hurting schools like Mercer who schedule paid games against bigger schools to fund their athletics.

4. At the time CPJ retired, Duke had (has?) 6x the recruiting staff of GT. just damn!

5. He had lunch with a prominent SEC coach recently who complained about two other SEC schools who were "cheating". Someone yelled out "hows Saban doing" and he said it wasn't him. I'm thinking it was Gus, cheaters were probably Alabama and UGA I'd guess.

6. Lastly, he said he was contacted by numerous P5 schools for head coaching jobs while at GT but declined. Said it'd take a very special situation to draw him back in and that Susan is happy doing what they're doing now and being able to see his daughter perform out west.
Thanks coach for sharing that information in item #1 above publicly while our basketball program is appealing an NCAA penalty imposed on us. I am sure they will take your gesture of goodwill into consideration while ruling on our appeal.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
As a native of Alabama, I can say with certainty that both Auburn and Alabama have provided incentives to players. Both were before the current regimes of Gus and Nick. I’m sure it goes on today, just less overtly.

Lived in Bama myself since 1988 and my mom and dad were both born and raised in Bama - I agree with you about previous administrations. And, as I said, there are still alums that pay players in isolated situations.

BUT, I disagree with you that sa(t)an has to cheat, and I believe he is in total control of the program, so I would be extremely surprised if he allows any overt cheating since he can get the players (based on NFL readiness he provides) without having to cheat. At Auburn, even under Malzaun, they are still fighting an uphill battle, and Louder and his ilk cannot be controlled.