CPJ, former players and racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
ohhhhhhhhhhh, the I "have a black friend" line....

Dang, you got me! Look everyone, this guy knows BLACK PEOPLE and he says on this anonymous internet board that institutional racism doesn't exist and all of his BLACK FRIENDS agree too....

By law, minorities get more preferential treatment than any white person. If there is current institutional racism, it would seem to be against the evil white race.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
By law, minorities get more preferential treatment than any white person. If there is current institutional racism, it would seem to be against the evil white race.

You are absolutely correct about this. The system is actually rigged for minorities at the moment...they still aren’t satisfied.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agree that the word gets thrown around way too much, but I strongly disagree that there is institutional racism. Curious where you see it?

It doesn’t actually exist. It’s something that weak people and apologists talk about because of their inner demons and inadequacies.
I truly believe that we live in a society where the average individual tries really hard to not judge others by the color of their skin. There are those who do, but I think they're the small minority. That's on the one-on-one level. I don't believe the vast majority of Americans believe that it's okay or acceptable for one group of people to be discriminated against solely based on race, religion, or creed. However, I do believe the system we have has built-in biases that make it more difficult for certain segments of our society to be successful. It's not impossible, but I think the row to hoe is longer and has more weeds. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me as this is my observation. I'm not excusing poor behavior or looking to give hand-outs to anyone. But, after 51 years on this earth living in the Southeast, Pacific Northwest, New England, Midwest, and Middle East, I do believe it exists. Not trying to convince anyone and I think Society has come a long way in the last 50 years or so. But we, as a collective, can still do better.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It literally didn't disappear "long long long ago". How old are you? Like what's your definition of "long long long ago"? Seriously?

I'm not woke, I'm practical. Like how stupid would I have to be to say something that was ingrained in our country, and legal, for 100s of years just disappeared in a generation? Like, I have no "white guilt" about it, its just obvious....I'm just not an idiot.
It really wasn’t that long ago but if your daughter is under 30 & you/she’s living in a place where she’s ostracized, well frankly you’re in the bottom 1% and would probably be better moving because attitudes there are unlikely to change.

I’m a mix breed whose father never allowed him to claim minority status because he thought it was a crutch. He was right. I was white in school, white when I applied to GT, white in the military even though I’d occasionally get picked on for being black by the white kids & white by the black kids. Was not fair, but only stiffened my resolve. I was 8 when a hispanic kid first moved into my neighborood & 9 when the first black kid arrived. Almost 6 decades ago but it was a BIG deal & media shock for you all not for the Conservative families. We were the only accepting ones. The Liberal families were downright cruel at the onset, tapering off in time once people got to know each other. It took years for that family to gain acceptance.

We were drinking at different water fountains 60 years ago. That means there was somewhere just shy of 25% of the current population that was alive when that was still happening. Many of us were alive then.

FDR popularized “redlining” about 85 years ago. In Detroit, he required white housing developments to be separated from black ones by a minimum 6’ high wall. A few of you on here were alive then. It wasn’t until around 1970, 50 years ago the Liberals rescinded that policy.

The Civil Rights act is only 56 years old. Probably 35-40% of us on here were alive then.

It wasn’t until 1983 that a black man was selected to command a nuclear power submarine. That was only 37 years ago. If the demographic on here matches America, more than half of us were alive then.

Almost 12 years ago we elected a black President, most all of us remember that mistake.

You’re absolutely right, racism just didn’t disappear, but no it’s not like it used to be. If we could just rid ourselves of the racist, denigrating, abusive Great Society policies Liberals hold dear and let all men have freedom & opportunity we’d be a whole lot better off. We’ve made great strides & I pray we don’t go backwards because we have a handful of fools fomenting violence so the political elites and power brokers can keep or increase their grip on power over the people that need us the most.

TechPreacher

Banned
There is no such thing as white privilege. There is no such thing as systemic racism. We have to work our tails off to get everything we have. Don't blame me because you spent your formative years skipping class, failing school, smoking weed, getting arrested, having illegitimate children with multiple baby mommas, going to prison, joining gangs, and being an overall loser and a social leech. Because I chose not to do those things does not mean I have privilege and you don't. You're just too lazy to work hard at an honest living. All this media manipulation going on right now is agenda-driven by the same people who have pushed the multicultural, blame-America, anti-white dogma for decades. It is Marxist at its core, and it aligns with the founders and funders of Black Lives Matter, all of which aim to destroy the very foundations of the American experiment. Some of you will be offended by this, but that is ok. I'm offended by what is going on around the country right now, and you are not more privileged than I am.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There is no such thing as white privilege. There is no such thing as systemic racism. We have to work our tails off to get everything we have. Don't blame me because you spent your formative years skipping class, failing school, smoking weed, getting arrested, having illegitimate children with multiple baby mommas, going to prison, joining gangs, and being an overall loser and a social leech. Because I chose not to do those things does not mean I have privilege and you don't. You're just too lazy to work hard at an honest living. All this media manipulation going on right now is agenda-driven by the same people who have pushed the multicultural, blame-America, anti-white dogma for decades. It is Marxist at its core, and it aligns with the founders and funders of Black Lives Matter, all of which aim to destroy the very foundations of the American experiment. Some of you will be offended by this, but that is ok. I'm offended by what is going on around the country right now, and you are not more privileged than I am.
JD7Uxbu.gif

Deleted member 2897

This is both sad and ironic...that you basically just tried to argue one thing, but the result proved the opposite.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
You’re absolutely right, racism just didn’t disappear, but no it’s not like it used to be. If we could just rid ourselves of the racist, denigrating, abusive Great Society policies Liberals hold dear and let all men have freedom & opportunity we’d be a whole lot better off. We’ve made great strides & I pray we don’t go backwards because we have a handful of fools fomenting violence so the political elites and power brokers can keep or increase their grip on power over the people that need us the most.

Great post, especially this last paragraph.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I truly believe that we live in a society where the average individual tries really hard to not judge others by the color of their skin. There are those who do, but I think they're the small minority. That's on the one-on-one level. I don't believe the vast majority of Americans believe that it's okay or acceptable for one group of people to be discriminated against solely based on race, religion, or creed. However, I do believe the system we have has built-in biases that make it more difficult for certain segments of our society to be successful. It's not impossible, but I think the row to hoe is longer and has more weeds. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me as this is my observation. I'm not excusing poor behavior or looking to give hand-outs to anyone. But, after 51 years on this earth living in the Southeast, Pacific Northwest, New England, Midwest, and Middle East, I do believe it exists. Not trying to convince anyone and I think Society has come a long way in the last 50 years or so. But we, as a collective, can still do better.

I like your posts.

Sure, we can all do better, but that has to be taken on by each individual. What I’m tired of is the finger pointing at someone (actually it’s usually an entire group that gets blamed) to do better, when the other is ignoring the issues in their own house. It’s hard to take someone seriously in that instance.

Also, you mention the system we have. I believe it to be the best that exists in this world and the closest to allowing for those that make good choices to rise and improve their lot in life. I’ve seen it time and time again. It wasn’t about being connected or “privilege”. It was about attitude, work ethic, and other good, basic choices. The main issue is that there are a lot of boys growing up that don’t get those behaviors modeled for them.

Deleted member 2897

It really wasn’t that long ago but if your daughter is under 30 & you/she’s living in a place where she’s ostracized, well frankly you’re in the bottom 1% and would probably be better moving because attitudes there are unlikely to change.

I’m a mix breed whose father never allowed him to claim minority status because he thought it was a crutch. He was right. I was white in school, white when I applied to GT, white in the military even though I’d occasionally get picked on for being black by the white kids & white by the black kids. Was not fair, but only stiffened my resolve. I was 8 when a hispanic kid first moved into my neighborood & 9 when the first black kid arrived. Almost 6 decades ago but it was a BIG deal & media shock for you all not for the Conservative families. We were the only accepting ones. The Liberal families were downright cruel at the onset, tapering off in time once people got to know each other. It took years for that family to gain acceptance.

We were drinking at different water fountains 60 years ago. That means there was somewhere just shy of 25% of the current population that was alive when that was still happening. Many of us were alive then.

FDR popularized “redlining” about 85 years ago. In Detroit, he required white housing developments to be separated from black ones by a minimum 6’ high wall. A few of you on here were alive then. It wasn’t until around 1970, 50 years ago the Liberals rescinded that policy.

The Civil Rights act is only 56 years old. Probably 35-40% of us on here were alive then.

It wasn’t until 1983 that a black man was selected to command a nuclear power submarine. That was only 37 years ago. If the demographic on here matches America, more than half of us were alive then.

Almost 12 years ago we elected a black President, most all of us remember that mistake.

Tim Scott is leading up an effort to write a police/justice reform bill. Illinois’ Senator called him and it a token process. We all know well that “token” moniker. Racism knows no party. Thankfully, we do no longer enslave people, but now it’s perhaps in an even more difficult phase to root out - the smile to your face, stab you in the back mode.

It’s not a privilege to pursue freedom, liberty, and happiness. Those are our God given rights. So white people aren’t privileged because they generally have those rights. But it feels like a privilege to Black people who face extra challenges due to the color of their skin. No it’s not 24 hours a day in everything they do. But it’s there. Life can be hard for everyone, but white people have 1 less source of a challenge. Their lives matter too, but sometimes it feels like black peoples lives matter less.

Just having some g d empathy and respect goes a long way.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well stated.

I agree and your view is quite similar ot mine. Most of my black friends are not as extreme as the groups portrayed on TV, they just want a fair break. The same is true of my white friends.

I think the base issue is rooted deep in our economic and social programs, which were designed with the best intentions to assist poor people (primarily blacks) but have in fact led to a society that is too dependent upon handouts and too fraught with despair. That in and of itself is far too simplistic, as it is coupled with the tragic loss of middle class jobs that has plagued most urban areas...manufacturing was shipped out to China and we were supposed to be happy because we could all buy color TVs. But the downside was a whole segment of society could no longer find work that would allow them to support a family in the traditional way. I think globalists failed our society as a whole, as they didn't understand the impacts that these job shifts would have...it destroyed hope in poor communities, it led to epidemics of drug and alcohol abuse and the collapse of traditional families. (NB-this is not a color or race issue...in case you haven't noticed it started out in poor urban black communities but has spread now into poor rural white communities). Where I agree with @forensicbuzz is that our society ignored these problems as long as it just affected "those people". And as long as the globalists kept getting rich.

But i completely agree that the vast majority of people are not virulent racists (or even closet racists). The sad part is that turning these things around is not an overnight fix. No law or executive order is going to change things. There is a segment of black America that has found their way to success through education and is prospering. Too many whites have never driven the gated communities of southwest Atlanta where the well-to-do black folks live. It is every bit as nice as Alpharetta. I am not worried about that segment of society.

But like rural whites, there are just a lot of folks out there among urban blacks for whom college is not the right answer. And for those folks, we have yet to provide a solution with hope, pride and optimism. Until we do, our problems will persist.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well stated.

I agree and your view is quite similar ot mine. Most of my black friends are not as extreme as the groups portrayed on TV, they just want a fair break. The same is true of my white friends.

I think the base issue is rooted deep in our economic and social programs, which were designed with the best intentions to assist poor people (primarily blacks) but have in fact led to a society that is too dependent upon handouts and too fraught with despair. That in and of itself is far too simplistic, as it is coupled with the tragic loss of middle class jobs that has plagued most urban areas...manufacturing was shipped out to China and we were supposed to be happy because we could all buy color TVs. But the downside was a whole segment of society could no longer find work that would allow them to support a family in the traditional way. I think globalists failed our society as a whole, as they didn't understand the impacts that these job shifts would have...it destroyed hope in poor communities, it led to epidemics of drug and alcohol abuse and the collapse of traditional families. (NB-this is not a color or race issue...in case you haven't noticed it started out in poor urban black communities but has spread now into poor rural white communities). Where I agree with @forensicbuzz is that our society ignored these problems as long as it just affected "those people". And as long as the globalists kept getting rich.

But i completely agree that the vast majority of people are not virulent racists (or even closet racists). The sad part is that turning these things around is not an overnight fix. No law or executive order is going to change things. There is a segment of black America that has found their way to success through education and is prospering. Too many whites have never driven the gated communities of southwest Atlanta where the well-to-do black folks live. It is every bit as nice as Alpharetta. I am not worried about that segment of society.

But like rural whites, there are just a lot of folks out there among urban blacks for whom college is not the right answer. And for those folks, we have yet to provide a solution with hope, pride and optimism. Until we do, our problems will persist.
I hear what you're saying, but I'm not talking about well-intentioned programs. I think it's deeper and goes back way further.

George Wallace used to say he won when he was able to move the focus from the system and make it about individuals. As long as he could make the conversation about the interaction between white people and black people (why can't we all just get along?), they wouldn't address the underlying issues with the "System."

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said the same thing i would have said. But unfortunately, many believe that is racism these days. Crazy world we are living in.

It may be a crazy world, but not in the way you think it is. I don't know of anyone who would say that is racism. "Many" who think it would be racism? No, and I would say that's a straw man postulate of particularly poor construction. What you call "many" is in reality very, very few and far between. Most everyone except for some extreme ridiculous fringe would agree that what he said is the antithesis of racism. Lets just sit back and see if one single person calls him out for saying that out of the "many" that exist only in your imagination. Get real.

GT_EE78

Banned
I assume this is in reference to the idea that the statement "all lives matter" is racist? Seems some explanation might help you gain a better understanding of why that is. In a vacuum, nobody thinks the idea that all races should be treated as equals is racist or offensive. Of course, absolutely everyone agrees that all lives matter. Literally everyone. But the statement "all lives matter" did not come about in a vacuum. That statement was developed as a direct response -- and intentional contrast to -- the statement that "black lives matter." The statement "all lives matter" is considered offensive, not because it has an inherently racist message, but because it either misunderstands the meaning of "black lives matter" and/or because it inherently seeks to dismiss or deny the underlying meaning of "black lives matter."

The phrase "black lives matter" came about to raise awareness that, historically and still today, institutional policies, structures, and racism have led to a situation in this country where black lives are treated to matter less than other lives. The statement doesn't in any way mean that only black lives matter, it is just an acknowledgment that black lives in many ways have been treated in this country as mattering less and seeking to rectify that inequity.

The response "all lives matter" either fails to understand that meaning (by wrongly assuming it means only black lives matter) or seeks to deny the underlying intent of the phrase that points out the inequity for black people in our country. And, yes, if that is the intent of the speaker, to deny that black people are in any way treated worse than white people, that intent and use of "all lives matters" is considered racist.

An analogy that has circulated illustrates the point pretty clearly. It is as if some people have their houses on fire and cry "houses on fire matter" in an attempt to get the fire department to come help them. Only to have their neighbors without their houses on fire cry back, no, "all houses matter," in an attempt to either deny that there is a problem with the houses on fire or prevent the fire department from coming to aid the houses that need help.

To sum up. In a vacuum, it is absolutely not racist at all to feel that all races should matter equally. On the other hand, it is considered racist by many to use rhetoric to undermine a minority group's struggle for equality or to use rhetoric that dismisses that inequity exists in the first place.

Hope that helps. If still confused, check out this LINK.

(Edited to say that I don't mean to say CPJ's words were racist. Just helping to clear up a misunderstanding that seemed inherent in your response.)
You did do a good job to summarize the narrative that certain media outlets are pushing. However; it is a false narrative. Although it may be true that the popularity of said response developed as a response, it has always been false to say the response was racist regardless of respondent thinking,, as if anyone could know that.
It's never a bad thing to oppose any group whose founders are of questionable character and whose activity has been marred by controversy and violence.
"houses on fire matter" may be funny but is not an analogy to this issue.
It's just good common sense to believe that everyone's life is important,racism and police brutality are bad, and it's good for everyone to have equal opportunity for life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
It may be a crazy world, but not in the way you think it is. I don't know of anyone who would say that is racism. "Many" who think it would be racism? No, and I would say that's a straw man postulate of particularly poor construction. What you call "many" is in reality very, very few and far between. Most everyone except for some extreme ridiculous fringe would agree that what he said is the antithesis of racism. Lets just sit back and see if one single person calls him out for saying that out of the "many" that exist only in your imagination. Get real.

No. I suggest you do some research on the movement to see color in individuals. We are no longer attempting to create a color blind society. When you hear terms such as racial justice thrown around that is a dead giveaway that what I am saying is correct. The BLM movement that is so prominent today is certainly not for a color blind society. They view skin color as something that should be seen and concessions granted to those who have been historically oppressed. For example, the Governor of Kentucky has said he will ensure free health care to all black people. That is certainly not a color blind vision for his state. For those that oppose the Governor's agenda, cries of racists have been hurled at them consistently. I don't think you have a clear understanding of what social justice is. But don't worry. A majority of people lack a true understanding of the movement. As you learn more about it, I'm confident you will see it's evils and understand that justice needs no qualifier.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
No. I suggest you do some research on the movement to see color in individuals. We are no longer attempting to create a color blind society. When you hear terms such as racial justice thrown around that is a dead giveaway that what I am saying is correct. The BLM movement that is so prominent today is certainly not for a color blind society. They view skin color as something that should be seen and concessions granted to those who have been historically oppressed. For example, the Governor of Kentucky has said he will ensure free health care to all black people. That is certainly not a color blind vision for his state. For those that oppose the Governor's agenda, cries of racists have been hurled at them consistently. I don't think you have a clear understanding of what social justice is. But don't worry. A majority of people lack a true understanding of the movement. As you learn more about it, I'm confident you will see it's evils and understand that justice needs no qualifier.

LOL. Wait he doesn’t understand social justice, but you do, but if he did understand social justice he’d see how evil it is?

this is great stuff. It’s like OAN and Breitbart threw up on GTSwarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.