CPJ discusses QBs

Bert kitchen

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Jt definitely runs the offense at a quicker pace. He played quite a bit in the 1st half of the UVA game last year and did well. Godhigh dropped a pitch or we probably would gone for two TDS in his two possessions

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I just think our issues on O are not the QB first...more like the OL; so if we solve that then lets worry about the QB. Right now running this offense with the amount of misses on the line we have vs good teams is super difficult for any QB.

I would love more comments on the line vs last year.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. I think you'll see far less pistol. Justin's height and quickness makes him a ghost back there when he is close to the line. Also, pj and co made it pretty clear that they are going back to basics.

My interpretation of what CPJ said was that we were going to run the football. I think to a large extent he is making it clear that we are not going to become a pass happy offense. I kinda see this as a response to the folks that expected more of a passing game last year because Vad could pass better than Tevin. We still will have to pass the ball, and to do that with JT he has to be able to see the field. I think we go to the pistol for passing, but I think we run some out of it too. I would be very surprised to not see the pistol at all this year.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I actually think we have a two-headed monster at QB; JT and Byerly both present a completely different style of play to our offense and it would not bother me at all (first time I have ever said this) to have a platoon arrangement.

With all due respect to JT, I do not see him being able to do what we need so desperately in the 3rd and < 3 situation - following the back and picking up 3+ yards after first, second and maybe third contact. I think Byerly would flourish in those situations.

Two good QB s on the roster is a good problem to have but I can easily see a number of situations where I wish the other guy was under center because the other guy is so much better in that particular down/distance situation. Not a knock on either guy but that is what I see happening this fall.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
"It's refreshing, they (JT and TB) both engage in and want to do what we're doing"-Paul Johnson. Says everything you need to know and sheds a lot of light on the Vad Lee era.

So why the **** didn't CPJ use JT more? That is what I was asking during the games (fortunately that was on GTSports chat so the profanity that went along with the question is not available). The people at our game watching asked the same thing.

I'm in full show me mode. I think Bylerly will play more snaps than JT this year because I think JT will be injured. But the basis for that opinion is based on a very limited amount of watching JT and hearing about his injuries in spring camp. I really don't care as long as we win 9+ games.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think maybe CPJ stuck with Vad too long thinking the light would come on. And he didn't stink, he was maddeningly inconsistent at times. Had loads of ability. I think he may have talked the talk about buying in but rarely, in games, walked the walk with regards to the base offense.

Now after agreeing CPJ may have stuck with him too long; I wonder what fan reaction would have been if he'd have pulled him? If he had benched Vad and Vad had transferred....I think there would be a completely different hell storm brewing over that among the fanbase.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Though our offense put up points last year I don't think it was effective by any means. There were too many stalled drives that put too much pressure on the defense. The first half of the Clemson game last season is a perfect example.
Add the VT game, second half of Georgia and Miami games, plus the bowl game.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The trigger man will be scary. We just need the other pieces to step up. We have better talent at every position than Navy and they seem to move the ball well against everyone they play.
Navy blocks and executes better than we have the last few years. But their competition is weaker also.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Vad was not as bad as you remember (Yes he did still take a slide with one yard to go for the 1st).
I think the OL was as bad as you remember (or worse than you remember because everyone is always watching the QB).
JT might have caught up to Vad had he been given the in game snaps from day 1.
Without the real game snaps, Vad was better than JT, as a whole, throughout the year.

No doubt in my mind, most of the offensive issues are OL first and QB second.

You can be excited for the season, but neither QB will be the Moses to lead us to the promised land. The OL is the biggest question mark, the biggest issue last year, and either QB will work their type of magic if the OL improves. If the OL performs subpar, then Byerly is the way to go as he will push through the trash better.

thanks for posting. I really think QB play will improve this year

How could it not improve? I think we will be better, and even tho I don't like a two headed monster at quarterback, I sense we are subtley being prepared for having platooning signal-callers. To me that is disappointing only because it means that one or the other can't distance himself from the competition. Should be interesting.

This is the first time I've heard a coach mention a something that just jumped off the screen to me about JT, the quickness of his delivery. He can get the ball out of his hands and down the field fast for anybody, not just GT. I think that if we make big strides in our O this year, it won't be just because of our running game. It seems to me that while we've been able to beat secondaries who over commit to stop the run, we don't really burn them as much as we should because our passes have given them too much time to recover. I'm excited about this possibility.

Past experience would indicate that the possibilty you are excited about will be limited (at best) by who is calling the plays. I, too, would like to see us burning secondaries more than we do, but I am jaded about the chances of my dream becoming a reality. Especially if we "get back to basics" and are somewhat more successful at running the football. For us it seems if we run and are successful, we run some more.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
...........You can be excited for the season, but neither QB will be the Moses to lead us to the promised land. The OL is the biggest question mark, the biggest issue last year, and either QB will work their type of magic if the OL improves. If the OL performs subpar, then Byerly is the way to go as he will push through the trash better.

This hits it on the head. I am expecting the OL to remain about the same until they do better. Hope I'm wrong about the OL, but after years of expecting better, it is what it is. I agree the QB issue last year was with the OL to a large degree, but Vad regressed in throwing accuracy even when he had time. He may have been shell shocked to some extent since he got rung up pretty good a few times and didn't seek contact (like JN did).

How well the OL plays this year could be more important than which QB we use. I am expecting our QB to get a lot of contact ("push through trash") and JT to get nicked up so that his performance is less than Byerly. \

I am hopeful that we play the QB who is playing the best that day against the particular team / D we see that day. I'm a big fan of rotating QBs in this O since they take so many hits rushing and run so much. There was a thread a few months ago where we beat this horse pretty good.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Vad was not as bad as you remember (Yes he did still take a slide with one yard to go for the 1st).
I think the OL was as bad as you remember (or worse than you remember because everyone is always watching the QB).

I think a lot of the issues with OL got back to Vad's hesitation on option reads and inability to step into a pocket. There were at least 5 plays in the bowl game where the OL made a good pocket but Vad turned ino the defender coming off the edge. This and the injurie are what I think allowed Sewak to keep his job.

The trigger man will be scary. We just need the other pieces to step up. We have better talent at every position than Navy and they seem to move the ball well against everyone they play.

We need the BB and AB's to be so productive as to make any "keeper" by Justin a rarity. He needs to be a complete surprise package when he runs it. He needs to be so successful, altho infrequent, as to be a splash of cold water in the DC's face. An "aha moment" causing defenses to adjust immediately to take away the qb as a runner. And, then, of course the toss, the dive, the counter all become even more successful.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
IMO With many things coach sent wrong signals and waited too long. Steady as we go is important for a leader, but sending signal BOTH qb have good potential is a great change. In past we constantly hear from coach about how backup was not even close to being ready. I get that coaches need to tell players the facts in private, but why say that in public?

I thought the Gaily guy was too passive for the players at all levels and love the way coach has gotten after guys that
Goof up. IMO this year we will see more public positive reinforcement by coach when they do good.

We have two qb guys that buy in too coach and coach buys in to them. In past the chemistry at qb had issues but now Coach has the qb and team aligned as a total unit .

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
If we block well enough in the interior and perimeter we'll have a fine year on O. If we dont then it would take amazing individual talent like a Dwyer & a Bebe Thomas to have a great year...talent we dont appear to have.

QBs look terrible when theres little blocking no matter how good they are.

AMEN!
IF IF IF the Oline functions semi-well,we can muddle through on OFF even with new QBs and avg backs.If they don't,I shudder.Think VT/BYU game-at times.

This yr could be the biggest house of cards since TW's first yr.The Oline crashes.The Off stops.Puts the DEf back on field.The Def can't stop run so teams keep ball and wear out DEf.
Then we get ball back with "cold" Off and the process repeats itself.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
We need the BB and AB's to be so productive as to make any "keeper" by Justin a rarity. He needs to be a complete surprise package when he runs it. He needs to be so successful, altho infrequent, as to be a splash of cold water in the DC's face. An "aha moment" causing defenses to adjust immediately to take away the qb as a runner. And, then, of course the toss, the dive, the counter all become even more successful.
For an option team, you can never say which position is going to be most productive. It will always depend on two things: 1. The way the defense plays us. 2. The individual talent at the position. If defenses play to make the QB be the one to beat them with his feet, then JT will probably have a monster year. That seemed to be how they played us a lot of times with Tevin (and even Vad). Tevin actually made more of these opportunities than Vad did due to all of the previously discussed issues. I think JT increases the threat at the QB position, so it will be interesting to see if that affects how defenses play us.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, while we're developing scenarios, here's mine. By the end (or maybe middle) of the VT/Open/Miami, JT is dinged up enough to sit out a game or two. TB comes in and roughnecks us to some wins (maybe even one against Miami). Then we see the platoon system for the rest of the year with CPJ announcing the starter just prior to each game, but both getting at least 40% of the snaps. High risk, high reward. Keeps the opponent guessing. I don't see us changing qb's based on down and distance except maybe in goal line situations.

A better defense and better special teams will get us a game or two we aren't expecting, and put the qb's in a better position to succeed. With our kick off returners last year, I was hoping the other team kicked it out of our end zone so we would at least start at the 25. Add ten yards to average starting position for a game, and what would have been a loss becomes a win.