CPJ AJC Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
You don’t want a former HC to be around too much, because then you risk dividing the team. But even if CPJ was never around the players the coaching staff should’ve been watering at the mouth to have CPJ around as much as possible in order to learn from him. Collins focused too much time and energy on “the transition,” and not enough on winning games. CPJ probably could’ve given them a lot of solid ideas on things they could do to transition into more of a pro style offense without losing the effective run blocking or schemes the team was already good at. Instead, Collins went full scorched earth and tried to promote Tech as completely and totally separated from CPJ and “the option.” His career paid for that mistake, and GT fans have been paying for it for 3+ years, and we’ve been robbed of decent to good seasons that might’ve came along had he not chosen the path he did.

I wonder if Key and CPJ have any sort of relationship or connection? Would Key have welcomed CPJs input as OL coach in 2019? Or would he have been sheepish to listen to him. Would Key have anything to do with CPJ if he was named full-time HC? I feel like Chadwell would have a huge opportunity to connect with CPJ should he be hired.
Collins spent too much time printing T-shirts with emojis and coming up with sayings during practice, rather than using practice for what is supposed to be used for, preparing, you know, for your opposition.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
From what I understand, CPJ respected Ken. He knew Ken had a job to do, and that he was going to ask tough questions. I got the impression he respected Shultz somewhat as well. I never got the impression he respected Bradley even the least little bit.

CPJ had a better relationship with the AJC than he's often given credit for.
I will agree. PJ didn't like it when Ken tried to get injury info without getting it from PJ. But PJ has always accommodated Ken's requests for interviews.
when it comes to Atlanta media, PJ butted heads with the sports talk radio morons. But those guys are all front runners anyway. So little use for the lot of them - though I used to see Cellini out and about once in a while and kinda knew Bell and got along with him.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You don’t want a former HC to be around too much, because then you risk dividing the team. But even if CPJ was never around the players the coaching staff should’ve been watering at the mouth to have CPJ around as much as possible in order to learn from him. Collins focused too much time and energy on “the transition,” and not enough on winning games. CPJ probably could’ve given them a lot of solid ideas on things they could do to transition into more of a pro style offense without losing the effective run blocking or schemes the team was already good at. Instead, Collins went full scorched earth and tried to promote Tech as completely and totally separated from CPJ and “the option.” His career paid for that mistake, and GT fans have been paying for it for 3+ years, and we’ve been robbed of decent to good seasons that might’ve came along had he not chosen the path he did.

I wonder if Key and CPJ have any sort of relationship or connection? Would Key have welcomed CPJs input as OL coach in 2019? Or would he have been sheepish to listen to him. Would Key have anything to do with CPJ if he was named full-time HC? I feel like Chadwell would have a huge opportunity to connect with CPJ should he be hired.

Meant to respond to this earlier, I agree you wouldn't want him down on the field, but pulling him in or even unofficially playing golf with him during your first offseason goes a long way, johnson knew a lot of different offenses he just believed in his system.

As for key, I don't think johnson woud have offered things that werent' asked for and if key asked I don't think he wouldn't listen. Key is nothing if not a team player. Notice he obviously had issues with how Collins did things kept them to himself until he was in a position to change it. Collins's marchign orders seem to be "the other guy is not to be liked we are in the greatest transition... play up the greatest transition" I mean CDP ran johnsons offense at one of his stops... learning it from him. And he wasn't allowed to acknowledge the guy.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Collins spent too much time printing T-shirts with emojis and coming up with sayings during practice, rather than using practice for what is supposed to be used for, preparing, you know, for your opposition.
I assumed the French frie logo W21 meant "win 2+1" because that's what we had been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.