COVID at CWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My youngest daughter teaches information technology at a University and she says her biggest challenge is getting students to learn how to discern legitimate news sources.
I am having the same problem! Does she do any zoom classes I could attend???

I have kinda defaulted to the same attitude I have about politicians...you know the old saying about how you know when a politician is lying? (A: When their lips are moving) Same for me with all media these days...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am having the same problem! Does she do any zoom classes I could attend???

I have kinda defaulted to the same attitude I have about politicians...you know the old saying about how you know when a politician is lying? (A: When their lips are moving) Same for me with all media these days...
She taught me a few things that in retrospect are all common sense but lots of entering college students don’t know them: 1. Don’t use aggregators as sources. 2. Be skeptical of sources that rely on ratings. 3. Look at primary source material and methodology. 4. Use reliable instruments to understand the ideological bias of a news source both to ensure that you get more than one point of view as well as to filter out sources that have a track record of being unreliable.

And there’s a lot more but I would have to take her class. I’m content to have her go, “Well, you know dad, that is a source that you need to balance because…” and then she pretty much tears up my use of buzz words, talking points and phrases the popular culture is totally misusing.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
And there’s a lot more but I would have to take her class. I’m content to have her go, “Well, you know dad, that is a source that you need to balance because…” and then she pretty much tears up my use of buzz words, talking points and phrases the popular culture is totally misusing.
Good for her!

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s this simple and Avent is 100 percent right. Individual's rights, beliefs, and medical decisions are theirs alone and more important than baseball. PSA: we are free Americans!
What happened to the concept of "take one for the team?" These guys put their individual freedom before the good of the team and now they are all sitting home instead of playing for a national championship. I was always taught that the Team is more important than the individual.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What happened to the concept of "take one for the team?" These guys put their individual freedom before the good of the team and now they are all sitting home instead of playing for a national championship. I was always taught that the Team is more important than the individual.
That’s old school. It’s everyone for themselves in our current society and this is seen as virtue.

Deleted member 2897

There’s no direct evidence getting vaccinated would have changed anything, given vaccinated people can transmit it, also test positive as we’ve seen with NC State, the Yankees, etc. (odds would be so, but we can’t say for sure on this case). Sure, I would have gotten vaccinated, but at what point do we drop this self righteousness and demand the NCAA stop contradicting public health officials and the science from like an entire year ago.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
There’s no direct evidence getting vaccinated would have changed anything, given vaccinated people can transmit it, also test positive as we’ve seen with NC State, the Yankees, etc. (odds would be so, but we can’t say for sure on this case). Sure, I would have gotten vaccinated, but at what point do we drop this self righteousness and demand the NCAA stop contradicting public health officials and the science from like an entire year ago.
More than likely if they had been vaccinated they wouldn’t have been obviously sick and never would have been tested. Don’t know if that’s a good thing but it wouldn’t have meant they were out of the tournament.

LibertyTurns

Banned
More than likely if they had been vaccinated they wouldn’t have been obviously sick and never would have been tested. Don’t know if that’s a good thing but it wouldn’t have meant they were out of the tournament.
4 out of 6 of “the sick” were vaccinated so obviously the opinion that having the team fully vaccinated would have kept them in the tournament is what the NCAA & others want us to believe. However, the odds were better of not getting “sick” if you weren’t vaccinated.

I still support vaccination & believe it’s a good thing, but it’s a personal choice. Unfortunately, the facts in this case don’t represent what a lot of people want to believe, it didn’t afford the level of protection desired, etc & acting like the facts don’t matter doesn’t change the facts. People are going to be more skeptical of the supposed experts if they see one thing happening & are told another.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
How about this... fast forward to NOW (or a week ago... instead of 8 months ago (yes... crazy). If you are sick... do not play. Isolate. Test.

If you are not sick.... PLAY BALL.

*I'm talking about college age athletes. Maybe different for old idiots like me.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agree.

Unless new information has come out I thought the policy was not to test teams or players that had been vaccinated. NC State left itself open to testing by having so many unvaccinated players.

No tests, no expulsion from the playoffs.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
4 out of 6 of “the sick” were vaccinated..
Maybe that would be better worded as "four of the six that tested positive had been vaccinated. The two that were not vaccinated were showing signs of the illness/being sick."

I say that because maybe if the two that were showing signs of sickness had been vaccinated, while they may have been infected, they may not have shown signs of being sick and would not have been tested not required the team to be tested.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Maybe that would be better worded as "four of the six that tested positive had been vaccinated. The two that were not vaccinated were showing signs of the illness/being sick."

I say that because maybe if the two that were showing signs of sickness had been vaccinated, while they may have been infected, they may not have shown signs of being sick and would not have been tested not required the team to be tested.
Sure, I was using positive for Covid and “sick” to be the same thing. I suppose you can have Covid and not be sick. Not sure what’s the point of quarantining people who aren’t sick but then again I’m not some NCAA control freak trying to make a name for himself by proving I have the power.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
4 out of 6 of “the sick” were vaccinated so obviously the opinion that having the team fully vaccinated would have kept them in the tournament is what the NCAA & others want us to believe. However, the odds were better of not getting “sick” if you weren’t vaccinated.

I still support vaccination & believe it’s a good thing, but it’s a personal choice. Unfortunately, the facts in this case don’t represent what a lot of people want to believe, it didn’t afford the level of protection desired, etc & acting like the facts don’t matter doesn’t change the facts. People are going to be more skeptical of the supposed experts if they see one thing happening & are told another.
No the point is they were only testing non vaccinated players from what I’ve seen. The sick vaccinated players would never have been tested if there was an issue.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Sure, I was using positive for Covid and “sick” to be the same thing. I suppose you can have Covid and not be sick. Not sure what’s the point of quarantining people who aren’t sick but then again I’m not some NCAA control freak trying to make a name for himself by proving I have the power.
You can be positive for Covid and not have symptoms. We’ve been dealing with that for over a year man.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You can be positive for Covid and not have symptoms. We’ve been dealing with that for over a year man.
Painfully aware of that. In my most extreme case I had an “unsick” kid keep testing positive for over 2 months. Finally he quit and took a job with someone else that didn’t know he was positive. Kid tried to play by the rules but in the end he wanted to provide for his family not suck on the government teat. Can’t blame him. I’ve sent 3 more “unsick” team members home this week, all victims of the contact tracing. Can’t control it, makes absolutely no sense, but that doesn’t make it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.