COVID and your local high school team

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Please do not turn this into a political thread.

How is your local high school football team doing with COVID? Up here in Rabun County we have already had to postpone two high school football games. Famed uga recruit Gunner Stockton was inching his way up the all time state QB records but he is going to have chill the next 3 weeks or so.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Our local high school has played a scrimmage and two games without issues. Two teams that are covered by local media had to scramble last week to find replacement opponents because the scheduled opponents cancelled due to COVID. I don't think any of the nearby teams are playing region games yet, so it doesn't have a large impact yet even if a game is cancelled.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
We've had multiple middle schools (across all grades) suspend operations due to excessive quarantine. Had at least one HS game postponed but that was due to the incoming visitor having a large issue on their end. We've had at least one teacher (28yo) die. According to my son (anecdotally) he notices a lot of absent teachers, more so than students.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We've had multiple middle schools (across all grades) suspend operations due to excessive quarantine. Had at least one HS game postponed but that was due to the incoming visitor having a large issue on their end. We've had at least one teacher (28yo) die. According to my son (anecdotally) he notices a lot of absent teachers, more so than students.
Weird to “like” a gloomy report but just wanted to acknowledge that you shared helpful information. Without giving away any privacy issues what general part of the country are you in?

Our high school team is being impacted by what the New York Times calls an extreme rate of infection. But the anecdotal, on the ground, observations help paint the picture.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Weird to “like” a gloomy report but just wanted to acknowledge that you shared helpful information. Without giving away any privacy issues what general part of the country are you in?

Our high school team is being impacted by what the New York Times calls an extreme rate of infection. But the anecdotal, on the ground, observations help paint the picture
Middle GA. We are in a massive hot spot, especially per 100k. As are most hospitals we are over capacity in ICU. At times ER wait times are 20-24 hours.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
P
Middle GA. We are in a massive hot spot, especially per 100k. As are most hospitals we are over capacity in ICU. At times ER wait times are 20-24 hours.
My oldest daughter teaches in middle Georgia. She was a principal but decided to go back into the classroom. With Covid the kids were cooperative and on the same page with safety protocols but some of the parents were insane.

Yes, middle GA is a hot zone. I had two different colleagues last year who suffered the same fate. Had emergency medical issues related to Covid but ICU was full. Were flown to Savannah to be admitted but both died in route.

Our football team is tentatively supposed to hit the field a week from this Saturday. We usually play for a state championship every year in our classification but scheduling enough of the right games to qualify is not a done deal yet.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't speak for the local high schools, but I receive text messages from my son's elementary school about kids/staff testing positive for Covid most every day. So far this week, his school has 20 cases amongst the kids and 1 faculty member. Probably associated with Labor Day weekend travel.