Count The Cut Blocks

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

How Many Cut Blocks By Clemson Players

• Total voters

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
A lot of teams cut block, I guess that is why I don't understand lol. We have had countless threads about this. I think I even showed examples from the NFL. Anyways, voting 6+ because why not.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Aren’t these the same teams who were complaining nonstop about how dangerous our offense was because of cutblocking?
I think that's the point bwelbo is making.

I'd be shocked if there are fewer than 6 cut blocks after the first quarter. We all know (well, most of us know AND acknowledge) that cut blocks are Standard Operating Procedure for pretty much every offense. Slants, screens, RB pick-up of a blitz, etc.

I don't recall Clemson fans or coaches being any different in their complaints about GT than most others though.

Deleted member 2897

I think that's the point bwelbo is making.

I'd be shocked if there are fewer than 6 cut blocks after the first quarter. We all know (well, most of us know AND acknowledge) that cut blocks are Standard Operating Procedure for pretty much every offense. Slants, screens, RB pick-up of a blitz, etc.

I don't recall Clemson fans or coaches being any different in their complaints about GT than most others though.

Yep - Clemson has had plays where at the snap the entire OL cuts. We’ll see how it goes. I may be busy or I may not.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Cutcliffe was the biggest complainer about cut blocks but I think some of it was to get the refs looking for chop blocks and using it against us in recruiting. Duke has recruited GA in the past and were after some of the same kids we were recruiting.

Deleted member 2897

I was going to make the scale a lot higher to have a vote for 10+, but I didn’t want to seem like a whiner. I’m glad you guys remember the prevelance as much as I do.

Deleted member 2897

My favorite memory was Stoops crying and complaining and even the announcers were pointing out that their DL was injuring each other and we had nothing to do with it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Aren’t these the same teams who were complaining nonstop about how dangerous our offense was because of cutblocking?
Hey, it's ok if they learn, isn't it? I mean that's what they are supposed to be in college to do. Albeit at, shall we say, limited consistency at places like Ugag and UT.

Seriously, I always thought - and said here a couple of times - all the bellyaching about cut blocking was just Italian soccer. It's ok to play the refs; they know what teams are doing and if they are any good (true, sometimes they weren't) they'll discount the complaints. I think what the opposition was actually complaining about was getting hit and hard on every single offensive play. For most DLs these days that was a new and disconcerting experience. They were used to the wrestling matches that are euphemistically referred to as "blocking" nowadays. Getting guys who were faster then you are lining up and forcing you to take on blocks low and high where they didn't grab you but actually, you know, hit you was more then some teams had bargained for. Hence the continuing assessment of Tech as the "most physical team we face" that I, personally, miss. A lot.

But I played OL in an era where holding was for wusses. Times change.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Hey, it's ok if they learn, isn't it? I mean that's what they are supposed to be in college to do. Albeit at, shall we say, limited consistency at places like Ugag and UT.

Seriously, I always thought - and said here a couple of times - all the bellyaching about cut blocking was just Italian soccer. It's ok to play the refs; they know what teams are doing and if they are any good (true, sometimes they weren't) they'll discount the complaints. I think what the opposition was actually complaining about was getting hit and hard on every single offensive play. For most DLs these days that was a new and disconcerting experience. They were used to the wrestling matches that are euphemistically referred to as "blocking" nowadays. Getting guys who were faster then you are lining up and forcing you to take on blocks low and high where they didn't grab you but actually, you know, hit you was more then some teams had bargained for. Hence the continuing assessment of Tech as the "most physical team we face" that I, personally, miss. A lot.

But I played OL in an era where holding was for wusses. Times change.
There were some games when our line came up and just blew the DL back. Especially on some of those late death marches. Unfortunately that didn't work as well against some of the top teams that were a lot bigger and athletic plus they would grab us to keep from getting to the LB. Duke would just fire everyone into the gaps and outnumber us in the backfield. It was fun to watch when we were dominating the DL. This line is big and is coming into its own. Would have been fun to have Cochran this year. The line has made a difference in helping Sims have success this year. I wonder if Johnson would stick around another year.