Could use some luck...

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
The #17 Gophers take on #4 Penn State this weekend in Minneapolis.

We'll take any good wishes from the GT faithful that come our way.

For what it's worth, you never know what a new coach, culture, system, and importantly recruiting will bring to a program. Here's wishing the same fortune to Tech in as soon as it appears to be coming our way. We're in Year 3 and things appear to be coming together.

Sill have to play the games though. November 2019 is our schedule gauntlet for this season, starting this weekend. 3 out of 4 games against well-ranked opponents a starting Saturday.

PSU fans think they will take us easily. Hope to prove them wrong. Good luck against Virginia.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Wait. You mean to say that a head coach can have a mediocre first season after taking over a bowl team? Have an average second season where there’s improvement every week? Start the third season 8-0 and have an outside shot to sneak into the CFP?!?!?!? No. Can’t be, not around here at least. Good luck to the Golden Gophers who wear yellow, from the Yellow Jackets that wear gold.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

For what it's worth, you never know what a new coach, culture, system, and importantly recruiting will bring to a program. Here's wishing the same fortune to Tech in as soon as it appears to be coming our way. We're in Year 3 and things appear to be coming together.

Sill have to play the games though. November 2019 is our schedule gauntlet for this season, starting this weekend. 3 out of 4 games against well-ranked opponents a starting Saturday.

PSU fans think they will take us easily. Hope to prove them wrong. Good luck against Virginia.
I’ll send a like your way, but the PSU game is the only one I’ll be cheering against the Gopher bros. Really happy for the season you’re having. Keep rowing the boat.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Appreciate the well wishes and sending them your way as well. Since about the 4th or 5th win for you guys I started pulling for you. So your Minnesota Golden Gophers finish the season undefeated and avoid injury.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Bill....thanks for stopping by. I am always happy to see any team that has been down have some success. It's a reward for those fans who have stuck with the team through thick and thin. With his success, is there any concerns/speculation/idle talk amongst your fans of him leveraging that success to move elsewhere to a "higher profile" program?

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
For some reason when I think of Penn State I think of Duke. I know the blue and white colors, but that's not it. Beat Penn State.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Bill....thanks for stopping by. I am always happy to see any team that has been down have some success. It's a reward for those fans who have stuck with the team through thick and thin. With his success, is there any concerns/speculation/idle talk amongst your fans of him leveraging that success to move elsewhere to a "higher profile" program?
Short answer is a big "yes." Foundation for this was laid in Gophers psyche when Lou Holtz was HC in the mid-80s for two seasons and then bolted for Notre Dame. Next opportunity was early success of Glen Mason in late '90s...who flirted with his alma mater Ohio State.

To both Coach Fleck's and the AD's credit they signed a new 7-year contract for an extra $1 million per year on Tuesday. Till this it was a "rolling" 5-year deal with a new year and a $$ bump added each season. Although the new deal is fantastic...and killed the bolting speculation, the devil's in the details. Year 1 buyout is $10 million...which should keep everyone except the Bama's or Nike-scale money away...but the 2nd year buyout is $4.5 million and so on. So we figure we've got Coach for 2020 and we'll be here again next year. Which is fine.

One more thought on this in a GT context. Coach Fleck has consistently stated he really likes it in the Twin Cities and the University of Minnesota being an urban campus. He lives on Minnesota's equivalent of Lake Lanier but only 20 minutes from downtown. Collins too appears to really like being in Hotlanta and recognizes what an urban campus can offer. Both appear to want to be where they are. The market for a successful coach is nuts but it is what it is. Tech seems to be in a similar place on this.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll send a like your way, but the PSU game is the only one I’ll be cheering against the Gopher bros. Really happy for the season you’re having. Keep rowing the boat.
Will take the "like" in a heartbeat. PSU is a national brand. If they do go down against us it'll only make 'em mad going against tOSU in a few weeks.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I would like PSU a lot better if there was even an ounce of contrition for the tolerance and advancement of that awful Sandusky. On the other hand I have some regard for Fleck and his own culture at Minnesota. You might surprise them because right now they are feeling pretty smug about that No. 4 ranking. Undeserved, but there regardless. Good luck. I am afraid that while PSU has some offense, actually pretty boring, we don't seem to have any of any kind. Oh, well. I am a Dodgers fan, too.