Couch Coach

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, Curry is one of the slower non-linemen on the team. So if anybody wonders why he plays so much and has so many tackles, that GIF is the perfect example. He is a smart, hardworking dude who knows where to be. He’s not perfect either with that, but dammit. Knight was a QB. Howard was an RB. I think a lot of this will be helped as we recruit more players to play linebacker that have actually spent their life playing linebacker. They have that innate muscle memory of knowing where to be without having to think about it or be taught about it.

Agreed. I said this somewhere else, but I would go to Ivey’s former HS teammate (can’t think of his name) and show him this and say the job is yours. We need some elite guys in the front 7.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Yep, Curry is one of the slower non-linemen on the team. So if anybody wonders why he plays so much and has so many tackles, that GIF is the perfect example. He is a smart, hardworking dude who knows where to be. He’s not perfect either with that, but dammit. Knight was a QB. Howard was an RB. I think a lot of this will be helped as we recruit more players to play linebacker that have actually spent their life playing linebacker. They have that innate muscle memory of knowing where to be without having to think about it or be taught about it.

Whoa now, kemosabe
Syracuse in a Gun strong look (RB on the same side as TE)
giphy.gif

Appear to be a power play

We have outside WLB blitz

Problem:

Essentially, Syracuse scored a TD with 3 lineman blocking 6 defenders

on the the right side, we have 2 defenders on the outside shoulder of the tackle. I believe the DT is in the wrong gap as well but manages to take 2 lineman out

Left side- The MLB read key is a G/ T thru to the RB. The tackle pulls which should take the LB there as well. For some odd reason, he jumps outside with the unblocked DE.

In this cluster**** of play, we should’ve had Curry scraping over the top and the unaccounted for Safety for the tackle. Instead we have a guy who takes himself out of the play completely, missed tackle by the FS and the strong safety who assumes the tackle will be made and watches for a TD

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd be coaching my RB that you can't just let a man run past you dead at the QB. If your route is dead because of a blitz, you have to sacrificed the route and cut down that blitzer, but maybe the staff feels differently.)

Another downside to youth. I’m sure he will learn, but another true freshman there.

To your point, if he does that it gives Sims time to find the TE wide open in the endzone.

Frustrating, but things that will improve with experience (one would hope).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would think the game will slow down for him and when it does teams will find it hard to stop us with him and our running backs

Yup. That's one reason why you have to live with mistakes from a young QB. You only get so much from practice. Live games are a different story. Sims, for all his talent, is still crawling on this level. The staff and GT fans have to live with him bumping his head on tables and chairs.

The hope is the more reps he gets, the less we see of those mistakes.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Whoa now, kemosabe
giphy.gif

Problem:

on the the right side, we have 2 defenders on the outside shoulder of the tackle. I believe the DT is in the wrong gap as well but manages to take 2 lineman out

Left side- The MLB read key is a G/ T thru to the RB. The tackle pulls which should take the LB there as well. For some odd reason, he jumps outside with the unblocked DE.

In this cluster**** of play, we should’ve had Curry scraping over the top and the unaccounted for Safety for the tackle. Instead we have a guy who takes himself out of the play completely, missed tackle by the FS and the strong safety who assumes the tackle will be made and watches for a TD
If that's a-gap 1 back power weak, it's a weird version of it, with the tackle shuffle pulling all the way around, and then breaking it off halfway. I was half inclined to say maybe it's just inside zone right, but neither the RG or RT make the right first step for that. Weird play, and weird pull by the T (maybe he just did a really good job of reading the LB's flow?), but effective.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Another downside to youth. I’m sure he will learn, but another true freshman there.

To your point, if he does that it gives Sims time to find the TE wide open in the endzone.

Frustrating, but things that will improve with experience (one would hope).

I could be wrong but that play looks designed to get Gibbs matched up with a linebacker for a race to the sticks type of situation. I believe Gibbs was the primary target rather than a check down. The others I think are more for options in case Gibbs is taken, for instance if the guy who went after Sims decided to drop back to take away the pass to Gibbs. If anything it looks like Gibbs put a move to get cleanly by the defender in order to keep his speed. The more I watch it, the more I think it was just a good defensive call against what we called because that defender looks like he's going for Sims no matter what and the playfake was probably designed to make him hesitate long enough for Gibbs to get into the flat. Might be just a good rea don a bad playfake and a better one would have gotten him to bite but I don't know.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If that's a-gap 1 back power weak, it's a weird version of it, with the tackle shuffle pulling all the way around, and then breaking it off halfway. I was half inclined to say maybe it's just inside zone right, but neither the RG or RT make the right first step for that. Weird play, and weird pull by the T (maybe he just did a really good job of reading the LB's flow?), but effective.

This and the coverage where Myles Sims is beat is the most 2020 looking playing

Initially thought it was one of those faux-read plays but i doubt it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That is Gibbs that blows by #13 - and its not his responsibility to entirely block him but to slow him down if he doesn't get caught peaking at the fake hand off from Sims to Griffin who was lined up as the full back on this play. That personnel issue (Griffin at FB) is probably due to a lack of HB/TE available.
Coco on right, Ward on left, both blow through the safeties and are wide open in the endzone.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Defense-

The theme so far for our defense has been lack of trust and discipline.

Let’s start our apology tour to Curry. We ask why no one can surplant Curry at the LB spot it’s bc of mistakes like this

giphy.gif

3rd & 20

3 man rush 2 spies

Rule number 1 as spy. If you gonna shoot your gun, you better hit your target. Knight does the right thing by rushing, but inexplicably rushes inside where his help (Curry is already is) and this mistake almost leads to a 1st down

Basic understanding of alignment & assignment
giphy.gif

This lack of discipline is just as nerve wrecking as the penalty. Oliver is the force player meaning he is contain and nothing should get outside of him. Why he is stutter stepping and not forcing the ball to 4 defenders giving chase is beyond me

????

giphy.gif

This play confused me a lot. I initially thought it was quarters coverage until i saw the CB up top but i see Spider open up & giving up the inside which usually a sign that he expects help. Ima label this as a busted coverage

Our DBs must win at the LOS with their bigger frames and longer arms.

giphy.gif

This is very bad technique by Spider not a getting the jam. We must get better at this or it will be bombs away

GREAT example esp that 1st down on K.Oliver when he got outrun to marker.It was 3rd down and we would have got the ball back . Instead they go down and score. and get confidence.maybe biggest play of game.I guess Charlie Thomas can't cover on passes but could do worse than Oliver overall?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Whoa now, kemosabe
giphy.gif

Problem:

I was hoping that Curry this yr could overcome his lack of speed/agility with smarts/experience.No such luck.The last 2 games he was useless in back of that fragile DL.Really Jackson also has struggled at times.(If
Ryans hadn't hustled to catch the fsu QB from behind when Q Jackson Whiffed on the tackle,they would got a 1st down and could have gone on to win game.)

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping that Curry this yr could overcome his lack of speed/agility with smarts/experience.No such luck.The last 2 games he was useless in back of that fragile DL.Really Jackson also has struggled at times.(If
Ryans hadn't hustled to catch the fsu QB from behind when Q Jackson Whiffed on the tackle,they would got a 1st down and could have gone on to win game.)

We blame Curry a lot. A lot of it unfairly. Watch the videos in this thread with an open mind.

/

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We blame Curry a lot. A lot of it unfairly. Watch the videos in this thread with an open mind.

/

He is the current version of Reggie Ball in the average fan's eyes. Like Reggie, David is better than the guys behind him or he wouldn't be playing. Like Reggie he absolutely gives 100% and is a Tech man. Blame coaches for not recruiting or developing. But these guys, at the end of the day, are the best options the coaches have and therefore deserve to be playing. I'm not saying they are beyond approach. But neither should be whipping boys either who bear the brunt of failure that should fall on the shoulders of adult men who are making 6 figure salaries. rant over.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
He is the current version of Reggie Ball in the average fan's eyes. Like Reggie, David is better than the guys behind him or he wouldn't be playing. Like Reggie he absolutely gives 100% and is a Tech man. Blame coaches for not recruiting or developing. But these guys, at the end of the day, are the best options the coaches have and therefore deserve to be playing. I'm not saying they are beyond approach. But neither should be whipping boys either who bear the brunt of failure that should fall on the shoulders of adult men who are making 6 figure salaries. rant over.

Unpopular opinion: Curry gets blamed for a lot of screw ups that are others screw ups.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Unpopular opinion: Curry gets blamed for a lot of screw ups that are others screw ups.
I think sometimes Curry plays like he knows that others either don’t know their assignments, or cannot execute them as they should, and he tries to overcompensate to cover for them. That leads him to being in the wrong position because he abandons his assignment to try to help somebody else cover theirs. Maybe that’s not the case, but it does seem like he hits the wrong gap, or blows a coverage more often than you think a 6th year senior would.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Good stuff @Ibeeballin. I didn’t see you anyone else mention it, but I think Sims should have just eaten the ball on that one tipped pick and taken the sack. He was attacked from the right side and really should have seen/felt the pressure and not taken the chance IMO. Freshman mistake of course, but in real time I remember thinking, “why are you trying to throw in that mess?!?!?”

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Good stuff @Ibeeballin. I didn’t see you anyone else mention it, but I think Sims should have just eaten the ball on that one tipped pick and taken the sack. He was attacked from the right side and really should have seen/felt the pressure and not taken the chance IMO. Freshman mistake of course, but in real time I remember thinking, “why are you trying to throw in that mess?!?!?”

It was so well timed, he didn’t see it

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

It was a one step drop on a scripted pass to the other side of the field. There was no time for him to "feel" the pressure. Only chance Sims had on that was reading the pressure before the play and changing the blocking which is a lot to expect from a true freshman. It was a well timed blitz that took advantage of us having two true freshmen playing at the positions that needed to deal with that.