Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You’re just blabbering random junk at this point. There was a stop sign a mile back and you seemed to have missed it. Listen to what you just said.

I did. It was just as reasonable and correct the second time around. Economic health is closely tied to public health. Anyone who says differently is blabbering random junk.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You speak as a god who not only knows what is best for all, but also what would have happened if what really happened had not happened. I stand amazed in your presence.

I find it interesting you didn't mention his name. Do you know his name?

And also, yeah, you're right. 18th century America was disease-free and fit as a fiddle.
Well you didn't mention his name either, but it was Benjamin Franklin. And I doubt he had a pandemic in mind. He was a reasonable man.

BeachBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I did. It was just as reasonable and correct the second time around. Economic health is closely tied to public health. Anyone who says differently is blabbering random junk.
While this is only anecdotal, there were several businesses in my area that didn't make it through the shutdown. However, since reopening, most businesses I talk to are doing quite well despite the fact that the press is acting like Florida is that town in the movie Outbreak.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
While this is only anecdotal, there were several businesses in my area that didn't make it through the shutdown. However, since reopening, most businesses I talk to are doing quite well despite the fact that the press is acting like Florida is that town in the movie Outbreak.
Some are, some aren't.

BeachBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan

2 new studies show shutdowns were astonishingly effective

From the article:
Lockdowns, stay-at-home orders, closed schools, and canceled public events prevented millions of Covid-19 coronavirus cases and deaths, according to two new peer-reviewed studies in the journal Nature.
Here is an actual quote from one of the studies.
" We estimate that across these six countries, interventions prevented or delayed on the order of 62 million confirmed cases, corresponding to averting roughly 530 million total infections.".
Notice the word delayed. Thank you for helping make my point.

Deleted member 2897

Oh, wow, "peer reviewed". That by all means makes it valid. HA !!! I could write something and have my "peers" review it too. Would that be acceptable to you?

That's like saying Congress and the Supreme Court and scientists are infallible - if they pass a law, its obviously legal. If they issue a ruling, its obviously constitutional. If they publish a peer reviewed study, its obviously also infallible. When we know that's true.

Nobody and no institution is perfect. I give you our Surgeon General by illustration. This again is the country's very top medical doctor.

Begs people to NOT wear masks:

Begs people TO wear masks:
Surgeon General Pleads With Viewers to Wear Masks: "I'm Begging You."

Well you didn't mention his name either, but it was Benjamin Franklin. And I doubt he had a pandemic in mind. He was a reasonable man.
My take on the words he posted was that it was Patrick Henry. I don't know what you are attributing to Benjamin Franklin, but one of his more famous statements was "Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." You are advocating "purchasing" a little temporary safety, and so you, according to Franklin, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Deleted member 2897

Three bases --- it came from Berkeley, it was reported by Vox, and it was posted by you.

In all seriousness, these guys just constructed a model, like what they used in Puerto Rico to estimate that thousands of people died when only a few dozen actually did. They can't point to those deaths, can't find those imaginary people, but it all is real and exists on spreadsheets.

It’s similar to all those global warming studies, where everybody has a conflict of interest. The government wanted to make themselves look good, so they funded a study from People who agreed with them to create a model that produced a satisfactory result.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Three bases --- it came from Berkeley, it was reported by Vox, and it was posted by you.

The reporting and my posting are total non issues. You're blaming the messenger.
The report was carried out by scientists in the field, and peer-reviewed by other scientists in the field.

Deleted member 2897

The reporting and my posting are total non issues. You're blaming the messenger.
The report was carried out by scientists in the field, and peer-reviewed by other scientists in the field.

And none of it is real. They created a model to show what the people funding the model wanted to see, and their friends agreed with their modeling. The fact they estimate 300 million people would have died in China without knowing directly and accurately what they did in China or what the real data is should be 1 of many red flags.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here is an actual quote from one of the studies.
" We estimate that across these six countries, interventions prevented or delayed on the order of 62 million confirmed cases, corresponding to averting roughly 530 million total infections.".
Notice the word delayed. Thank you for helping make my point.

Notice the whole phrase, "delayed or prevented". Thank you for helping make my point.

Notice the whole phrase, "delayed or prevented". Thank you for helping make my point.
You have no point, other than that a bunch of scientists at Berkeley used some kind of data to come to a probably pre-ordained conclusion that was supported by other scientists who probably all think thse Berkeley scientists have all the information that is possible to be had. It's just like all the other "debunking" of claims and statements that various people have made, while there is just as much data on one side as there is on the other. So it's not just some of us here who are picking and choosing what to believe; you are doing the same thing yourself.

BeachBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
How were they prevented? Did the virus disappear so that it couldn't infect anyone ever again? No. It isn't going anywhere. Shutdowns are just kicking the can down the road and the people that did that study covered their butts by having the word delayed in there. That study really isn't any better than the models that were used to justify the shutdown in the first place. Way too many assumptions

TechPreacher

Banned
Well some idiot in Minnesota wore a swastika mask into their local Walmart over the weekend. Free country or not, that’s not okay.

If people can burn American flags, take down Confederate statues, wave rainbow flags, kneel during the national anthem, rally for infanticide and pedophilia, Burn, Loot, and Murder on city streets, and everything else that is going on, then surely a picture on a mask shouldn't matter. Besides, the message on the mask would be much more dangerous if it said BLM, I Can't Breathe, Defund Police, DACA, NBC, ABC, CNN, CBS, or MSNBC.

If people can burn American flags, take down Confederate statues, wave rainbow flags, kneel during the national anthem, rally for infanticide and pedophilia, Burn, Loot, and Murder on city streets, and everything else that is going on, then surely a picture on a mask shouldn't matter. Besides, the message on the mask would be much more dangerous if it said BLM, I Can't Breathe, Defund Police, DACA, NBC, ABC, CNN, CBS, or MSNBC.
I find myself in agreement with most of your posts, but the use of a Nazi symbol on ANYTHING is offensive to me and, I believe, most Americans. Although perhaps legally that cannot be prevented, it should definitely be slammed by all.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Now here come the qualifiers. Yes they ARE having surges. In their words. 1,000 cases a day when you were at 2-300 matters. Also, Florida is testing more than France is. So there's also that.
Its not really qualifiers. Going from 300-800 daily cases to 1500 isn't the same thing as going from 500-1000 cases daily to over 10k. I actually agree that France is seeing enough cases to take significant action, which is why they are. If their cases had shot up over 10k their entire country would be locked down right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.