Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The world isn't coming to an end and shutdowns do more damage than good just like the last time.
US deaths may be plateauing before the decline.
at any rate we're not approaching the 2200 from april(7 day avg)
daily cases (7day avg) have been flat for about 10 days
View attachment 8685

Flat? The 7 day average on 7/16 was about 813 (the daily reported for 7/18 was 813 and the 7 day line on 7/16 almost matches up with the bar for 7/18). The 7 day average on 7/25 was above 908 which is the bar for 9/25. A 13% increase doesn't match the definition of flat to me.

TechPreacher

Banned
So you are ok with people being hospitalized and dying? Thats what viruses do.

Yes, I am fine with that. It's called life. The death rate for humans is 100%, so you had better be ready. No one is guaranteed today, much less tomorrow. So, while I'm still alive, I plan on living, and not just existing to avoid some virus that I have at least a 99% chance of surviving.

BeachBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan

Not okay with it at all. I just believe that all shutting down will do is slightly delay when those people are hospitalized and die in addition to destroying people's lives and livelihoods. I also believe the shutdowns kill people. I also believe the shutdowns cause child abuse.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If even the experts have no clue what might happen in the future, I think it's pretty safe to say that you don't know a damn thing either.

2 new studies show shutdowns were astonishingly effective

From the article:
Lockdowns, stay-at-home orders, closed schools, and canceled public events prevented millions of Covid-19 coronavirus cases and deaths, according to two new peer-reviewed studies in the journal Nature.

Milwaukee

Banned
So now, not only can they tell us where we can and can't go, and what we have to wear while we are there, but they can also tell us what it has to look like. Why does everyone not see what is going on here?

Well some idiot in Minnesota wore a swastika mask into their local Walmart over the weekend. Free country or not, that’s not okay.

2 new studies show shutdowns were astonishingly effective

From the article:
Lockdowns, stay-at-home orders, closed schools, and canceled public events prevented millions of Covid-19 coronavirus cases and deaths, according to two new peer-reviewed studies in the journal Nature.
Well, considering the source and the fact that one of the studies was done at Berkley, DUHHH. If the article mentioned who conducted the other study, I didn't see it. It was probably WHO, and we know what to expect from WHO. Now provide some REAL information.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
For the good of all? Tell that to everyone that lost their businesses. Are they not included in the "all"?

So, "a pandemic is one situation". How many other situations are there that are deemed worthy of "cooperation for the good of all"? And, more importantly, who is this grand wizard who does the deeming?

One of our American forefathers (probably a racist undeserving of a statue, no doubt) wisely said, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." So, you can keep your safety; I'll take my chances with liberty.

Business would be thriving much better now had a little more care been taken earlier to stifle the spread of the virus.

And I seriously doubt the founding father you quoted was referring to reasonable measures taken to quell a pandemic.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, considering the source and the fact that one of the studies was done at Berkley, DUHHH. If the article mentioned who conducted the other study, I didn't see it. It was probably WHO, and we know what to expect from WHO. Now provide some REAL information.

Peer-reviewed, mind you. "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest, lie la lie la lie la lie la lie la lie." - Paul Simon

Milwaukee

Banned

Am I okay with it? No, of course not. But that’s life. I’m not okay with murder in society either, but it’s the cost of doing business aka living our lives. Sure we could lock down everyone in single cell blocks all over the world and that would end murder. But man that’d be a bummer wouldn’t it?
How can I be so selfish, I know.

Deleted member 2897

Ah yes. France, Germany, and Spain. If you combine the worst daily case numbers for each of those countries over the last two weeks it will still be less than Florida had just yesterday. Compared to us, they aren't having surges, but yes, they are taking their recent upticks more seriously than we are taking the train wrecks we have going on over here.

Now here come the qualifiers. Yes they ARE having surges. In their words. 1,000 cases a day when you were at 2-300 matters. Also, Florida is testing more than France is. So there's also that.

TechPreacher

Banned
Business would be thriving much better now had a little more care been taken earlier to stifle the spread of the virus.

You speak as a god who not only knows what is best for all, but also what would have happened if what really happened had not happened. I stand amazed in your presence.

And I seriously doubt the founding father you quoted was referring to reasonable measures taken to quell a pandemic.

I find it interesting you didn't mention his name. Do you know his name?

And also, yeah, you're right. 18th century America was disease-free and fit as a fiddle.

Deleted member 2897

Well of course there is a difference in your 2 perspectives:
1) If you shut down the economy, people's livelihoods will be destroyed - we've already proven that.
2) If you don't shut down, you can wear a mask, socially distance, and practice good hygiene, and you won't end up in the hospital or dead.

So quite a difference there in your 2 perspectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.