Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Do you have a job, or do you live off the government? There are people that actually need to work to feed their families. Telling a man that he can't work to support his family is the highest level of evil, immorality, and authoritarian control. Besides, lockdowns do nothing to prevent the spread anyways. This thing is not about public safety; it's about seeing who will comply.

You don't understand. Even if there's no official mandated lockdown, the spreading virus is putting a severe hitch in the economy, a hitch that could have been well behind us by now with a proper lock down the first time around. The virus is so far out of control in many areas that test results are backlogged and businesses are crippled, all because we didn't bite the bullet sufficiently at the first opportunity. I'm not telling you something that is supposed to hurt the economy, but rather help it in the long run.

TechPreacher

Banned
Kentucky has a 4.5 percent unemployment rate, I am in that 4.5%. I have been applying for work, but shutting down again will completely KILL our economy and ruin thousands of small businesses. It should be left to the individual to lockdown, shut down their businesses. The government makes terrible decisions routinely and act like children across party lines. Why on Earth would I trust them to do the right thing for my family?

More people on the government dole keeps them in power, so the higher the unemployment rate, the better. Individuals are a threat to collectivism, because we don't fall into groupthink. All these "kneelers", "lockdowners", and "compliers" had better wake up. The proletariat bears the burden of Communism once the capitalist class is annihilated.

TechPreacher

Banned
You don't understand. Even if there's no official mandated lockdown, the spreading virus is putting a severe hitch in the economy, a hitch that could have been well behind us by now with a proper lock down the first time around. The virus is so far out of control in many areas that test results are backlogged and businesses are crippled, all because we didn't bite the bullet sufficiently at the first opportunity. I'm not telling you something that is supposed to hurt the economy, but rather help it in the long run.

Oh, I understand completely. Why would you, as a grown man, be so willing to allow someone to tell you that you can't make a living for your family?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I understand completely. Why would you, as a grown man, be so willing to allow someone to tell you that you can't make a living for your family?
In your own little black-and-white world, aren't you? Sometimes society would be well advised to do things together, in cooperation for the good of all.
A pandemic is one such situation. Is that so hard to understand?

Deleted member 2897

Is Miami and Key West open right now? We are taking our honeymoon there in 2 weeks......................................................................

we just took a week vacation to Marco Island (2 weeks ago). Stayed in a full-service Hilton. Only four people were allowed on an elevator at a time, masks required inside (but not policed), hand sanitizer everywhere.

honestly, there is nothing really to be scared of other than getting yourself in close contact with other people. If you can avoid that, you can go anywhere. So if you fly into Miami, everyone will probably have a mask - you exit via long moving walkways which will space people out. If you’re renting a car, you’ll be by yourself (other than maybe the car rental tram). I would not eat indoors - eat outside or get takeout. Keep your distance, practice good hygiene and so on, and you can go anywhere. Miami would be most difficult to keep your distance due to population density.

BeachBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
You still haven't answered my original question. What is the endgame. We can close down all we want but the virus will still be there when we open. It will then spread again. Do we just keep closing down and reopening? Other than the businesses that are still forced to be closed, business around me is booming and I live in Florida. Closing them down again will cause them to go out of business.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
More people on the government dole keeps them in power, so the higher the unemployment rate, the better. Individuals are a threat to collectivism, because we don't fall into groupthink. All these "kneelers", "lockdowners", and "compliers" had better wake up. The proletariat bears the burden of Communism once the capitalist class is annihilated.
The capitalist class is killing it during this pandemic man. They aren’t going anywhere.

Deleted member 2897

The capitalist class is killing it during this pandemic man. They aren’t going anywhere.
Yup, just like in every other “crisis”, we pilfer the Treasury for certain folks. I think we’ve done an even more impressive job of that this time around.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You still haven't answered my original question. What is the endgame. We can close down all we want but the virus will still be there when we open. It will then spread again.
It won't spread again so much if we take proper measures to see that it doesn't. After it is brought under control, testing can be done without backlogs, and contact tracing can be done far more effectively.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You still haven't answered my original question. What is the endgame. We can close down all we want but the virus will still be there when we open. It will then spread again. Do we just keep closing down and reopening? Other than the businesses that are still forced to be closed, business around me is booming and I live in Florida. Closing them down again will cause them to go out of business.
Other countries have reopened without the virus surging again. It is possible to do if your country cares enough to do it. Eradicating it is obviously difficult if not impossible. Containing it is possible with a responsible society working together.

Deleted member 2897

Other countries have reopened without the virus surging again. It is possible to do if your country cares enough to do it. Eradicating it is obviously difficult if not impossible. Containing it is possible with a responsible society working together.

Almost 50 countries set new daily positive case records last week. France, Germany, Spain - all experiencing surging cases. We did too good of a job controlling the virus last time, and so only a tiny sliver of our population got it. Most of Europe had the virus run rampant over the top of them creating a semi herd immunity benefit.

We contain it through behavior - wearing masks, keeping our distance, and practicing good hygiene. We had 30,000 new cases a day for several weeks when we were shut down last time. It’s the behavior that matters, not whether you were shut down or not. We’ve had over 50 million people so far apply for unemployment. There is no reason to go back that direction again because of a section of our populace that won’t follow directions anyway.

Ive been on vacation to multiple states, gone to a high school graduation with 1,000 people, run organized races, and so on. You can live life and do all these things and not get the virus. It’s unfortunate that some people are selfish and careless, but that’s their problem not mine.

GT_EE78

Banned
The world isn't coming to an end and shutdowns do more damage than good just like the last time.
US deaths may be plateauing before the decline.
at any rate we're not approaching the 2200 from april(7 day avg)
daily cases (7day avg) have been flat for about 10 days
1595873641646.png

TechPreacher

Banned
In your own little black-and-white world, aren't you? Sometimes society would be well advised to do things together, in cooperation for the good of all.
A pandemic is one such situation. Is that so hard to understand?

For the good of all? Tell that to everyone that lost their businesses. Are they not included in the "all"?

So, "a pandemic is one situation". How many other situations are there that are deemed worthy of "cooperation for the good of all"? And, more importantly, who is this grand wizard who does the deeming?

One of our American forefathers (probably a racist undeserving of a statue, no doubt) wisely said, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." So, you can keep your safety; I'll take my chances with liberty.

BeachBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
It won't spread again so much if we take proper measures to see that it doesn't. After it is brought under control, testing can be done without backlogs, and contact tracing can be done far more effectively.
The evidence is now pointing to that not being the case. Other countries that "brought it under control" are starting to see surges. This thing isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Ruining people's lives by closing the economy just adds insult to injury.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Almost 50 countries set new daily positive case records last week. France, Germany, Spain - all experiencing surging cases.

We contain it through behavior - wearing masks, keeping our distance, and practicing good hygiene. We had 30,000 new cases a day for several weeks when we were shut down last time. It’s the behavior that matters, not whether you were shut down or not. We’ve had over 50 million people so far apply for unemployment. There is no reason to go back that direction again because of a section of our populace that won’t follow directions anyway.

Ive been on vacation to multiple states, gone to a high school graduation with 1,000 people, run organized races, and so on. You can live life and do all these things and not get the virus.
Ah yes. France, Germany, and Spain. If you combine the worst daily case numbers for each of those countries over the last two weeks it will still be less than Florida had just yesterday. Compared to us, they aren't having surges, but yes, they are taking their recent upticks more seriously than we are taking the train wrecks we have going on over here.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Actually, very few have. Most are having surge issues right now to one degree or another....France, Germany, Spain even some of the Far Eastern regimes.... But then again, other countries have had their schools open for a long period of time but good ole American media seems to think that is an outrageous idea!

BeachBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Ah yes. France, Germany, and Spain. If you combine the worst daily case numbers for each of those countries over the last two weeks it will still be less than Florida had just yesterday. Compared to us, they aren't having surges, but yes, they are taking their recent upticks more seriously than we are taking the train wrecks we have going on over here.
So you are ok with destroying people lives and livelihoods? That's what shutdowns do.

TechPreacher

Banned

How do you know it won't spread? Answer: you don't.

And I am appalled by people like you who desire contact tracing. Why do you sign up for every "give up your freedom" that the government offers you?

Status
Not open for further replies.