Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If this whole experience doesn’t convince folks that our governments are actually NOT designed to serve our people, but merely to expand their own interests, then I guess nothing will.

If you criticize
(BTW, if you want an exercise on bad takes and morphing opinions, this thread in its entirety would be a good place to start)

That's quite true. I for one did not expect this disease to be so bad, but then that was because I initially believed the data out of China and the WHO. Silly me. I should have realized governmental organizations serve their own purposes and do not serve the people.

Then again, the initial models that came out not long afterwards were even further off the target.

There is plenty of crow if you want to go that route, on both sides of the political aisle and media and in this thread. Take your pick. This was a total unknown and I would say we all got it wrong to some degree or another.

Deleted member 2897

That's quite true. I for one did not expect this disease to be so bad, but then that was because I initially believed the data out of China and the WHO. Silly me. I should have realized governmental organizations serve their own purposes and do not serve the people.

Then again, the initial models that came out not long afterwards were even further off the target.

There is plenty of crow if you want to go that route, on both sides of the political aisle and media and in this thread. Take your pick. This was a total unknown and I would say we all got it wrong to some degree or another.

Just read that article I posted about how the CDC shut down testing in the last pandemic. Nobody cared or said a word. This disease is a big problem, but some organizations are the bigger problem.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess it's time to add a new debate that we have at my house.
Toilet-Paper-Debate.jpg
Pretty sure the original patent shows B so I’d go with that one.

if u have a cat, A is the answer.

GT_EE78

Banned
insanity - cal;ifornia shutting down businesses again
some governors and mayors pay way to much attention to data. They will shut down businesses even for a moderate spike in economic activity.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Yes, Red, I heard the news with Andy(I’ve worked many religious events at the Arena in Duluth that the Stanley’s participate in joyfully)and I believe Charles(I work Operation Christmas In Doraville, where he films his television show each week)feels the same way, even though they don’t agree on everything. Having built a friendship over the years with both of them and Jentzen Franklin, I can attest to these men as being authentic men of God. I’m certain they will make the right decisions for their followers.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-testing/index.html

Deleted member 2897

Yes, Red, I heard the news with Andy(I’ve worked many religious events at the Arena in Duluth that the Stanley’s participate in joyfully)and I believe Charles(I work Operation Christmas In Doraville, where he films his television show each week)feels the same way, even though they don’t agree on everything. Having built a friendship over the years with both of them and Jentzen Franklin, I can attest to these men as being authentic men of God. I’m certain they will make the right decisions for their followers.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-testing/index.html

I’m not flagging you, but someone else might - be careful posting political content like that link. At any rate, you must have missed my post from earlier - it proves CNN to once again be ignorant and incorrect.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/swine-flu-cases-overestimated/
If you read that article, you’ll see that the CDC back in 2009 ordered the shutdown of swine flu testing, declaring that since we already knew it was a pandemic, it wasn’t necessary to track every case like that anymore. LOLOLOLOL.

Deleted member 2897

As we have discussed on here recently, school systems have opened all across Europe with “no outbreaks”. Well, with a couple that were brought to our attention. I spent time this morning researching the one in Israel in more detail. I think that is one of the United States folks would be very interested in looking at. Elementary and middle school kids had no issues. The high school kids behavior apparently was very similar to what we’re experiencing with younger people here right now – not social distancing, not wearing masks as they were supposed to, not using good hygiene. That same age demographic here is behaving very poorly right now Dash what is going to make them change if and when they go back to school? I mean, if they get it, they’re highly likely to not get very sick - but they will all spread it back amongst their families at home and so on.

GT_EE78

Banned
While I have great disdain for Donald Trump,
I also would not agree that it is non sensical.
You said" our president is completely incapable of telling the truth and has been that way his whole life"
I find it hard to believe that any reasonable person wouldn't consider that to be nonsense.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bolded is correct.

2nd statement is WRONG

Of course it is accurate. The study you cited talked about droplet size and time of exposure.

I can easily be present in a low density environment (OMG! Covid!) if the particle density and exposure are insufficient to infect.

PM me if you a detailed microbiology answer. I’m going to play golf - no mask.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I have a daughter who is starting Kindergarten this year. Been combing through the Cobb County reopening guidelines for schools trying to figure out if I want to keep my daughter home or let her start her grade school life the normal way. The guidance is a joke. Some quotes:

- Implement social distancing measures as possible
- Per CDC recommendations masks are expected for Bus Drivers and are strongly recommended for students as social distancing cannot be achieved on a school bus.
- Consider classroom arrangement to maximize physical distancing (thanks for considering it I guess)
- Encourage staff/students/families to self-screen before work/school
- Enhanced cleaning protocols will be implemented (high touch surfaces, restrooms, etc.)
- Use of scheduling measures to balance class size to promote physical distancing to the extent possible
- Provide physical guides to promote social distancing (tape on floors, signs, one-way routes in hallways, lanes in hallways)

There is almost nothing concrete in the document. Im not sure why they can't come out and say we are going to have class sizes of X size. We are going to schedule multiple sessions of X to keep class sizes below X. We are going to distance desks X feet apart for in person learning. We are going to do this if a student or staff member gets the virus. We are going to sanitize common areas X times per day. We are going to provide X to those who wish to stay home but need equipment. We are going to temperature check every person who enters the building. Etc, etc. This document reads like we really don't want to do anything but we had to come up with some kind of document so hear ya go.

Deleted member 2897

I have a daughter who is starting Kindergarten this year. Been combing through the Cobb County reopening guidelines for schools trying to figure out if I want to keep my daughter home or let her start her grade school life the normal way. The guidance is a joke. Some quotes:

- Implement social distancing measures as possible
- Per CDC recommendations masks are expected for Bus Drivers and are strongly recommended for students as social distancing cannot be achieved on a school bus.
- Consider classroom arrangement to maximize physical distancing (thanks for considering it I guess)
- Encourage staff/students/families to self-screen before work/school
- Enhanced cleaning protocols will be implemented (high touch surfaces, restrooms, etc.)
- Use of scheduling measures to balance class size to promote physical distancing to the extent possible
- Provide physical guides to promote social distancing (tape on floors, signs, one-way routes in hallways, lanes in hallways)

There is almost nothing concrete in the document. Im not sure why they can't come out and say we are going to have class sizes of X size. We are going to schedule multiple sessions of X to keep class sizes below X. We are going to distance desks X feet apart for in person learning. We are going to do this if a student or staff member gets the virus. We are going to sanitize common areas X times per day. We are going to provide X to those who wish to stay home but need equipment. We are going to temperature check every person who enters the building. Etc, etc. This document reads like we really don't want to do anything but we had to come up with some kind of document so hear ya go.

Because it’s a government entity and nobody knows how to solve for X.

Thank you, I’ll be here all week, don’t forget to tip the waitress.

But seriously, sorry to hear - that’s gotta be such a mess.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly the bandanas and non medical masks help protect others from you! Since this virus can be spread super easily, even asymptomatically, we need to humbly wear our masks because we don’t know whether we have it or not.

As my coworker says, “My mask isn’t protecting me, it’s protecting you”

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Honestly the bandanas and non medical masks help protect others from you! Since this virus can be spread super easily, even asymptomatically, we need to humbly wear our masks because we don’t know whether we have it or not.

As my coworker says, “My mask isn’t protecting me, it’s protecting you”

This is somewhat true, for sure. And this was the original argument. It has sense been replaced by nonsense that it prevents transmission that even epidemiologists dispute.

The reality is that the masks provide a sense of safety that let people go about their business in public. The calls to wear them are primarily political, with some degree of truth that if you sneeze it stops you from spreading to others. But let’s be real here...hopsital workers are wearing masks much more capable of preventing disease than the cloth ones the public is using. They’re also religious about washing hands, sanitizing, etc...but they’re still getting sick. The masks don’t really work. In general they can’t hurt, but there is some section of society that touches their face quite a bit when wearing a mask. This could actually put those people more at risk.

Fear has to stop. I read a nice sign the other day that said, “98% of US cases have ended in survival, let’s push that instead of fear!” Not exactly a bad thing to think about...stay positive and stop panicking everyone!

Football is coming! If you think we shouldn’t play then just stop posting and get the hell out of the way. We’d better be ready or we are going to get steamrolled (...actually, it may not matter, but I’m optimistic). I’ll see you guys at Grant Field!

LibertyTurns

Banned
Of course it is accurate. The study you cited talked about droplet size and time of exposure.

I can easily be present in a low density environment (OMG! Covid!) if the particle density and exposure are insufficient to infect.

PM me if you a detailed microbiology answer. I’m going to play golf - no mask.
I wouldn’t expect there’s many microbiologists on this board but certainly 1/3 of the folks here have taken fluid dynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.