Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

slugboy

Staff member
that’s how rumors get started . . .

Announced it 7 days ago. All schools must be open 5 days a week for all students for in-person education. Only a state or local health order can stop it.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local...tes-all-schools-must-reopen-campuses-in-fall/

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...-reopen-in-the-fall-for-in-person-instruction

Fits into what they’ve been saying since June.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...chools-will-reopen-for-summer-fall-semesters/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

herb

Helluva Engineer
Announced it 7 days ago. All schools must be open 5 days a week for all students for in-person education. Only a state or local health order can stop it.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local...tes-all-schools-must-reopen-campuses-in-fall/

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...-reopen-in-the-fall-for-in-person-instruction

Fits into what they’ve been saying since June.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...chools-will-reopen-for-summer-fall-semesters/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Except that’s not what this says: https://www.wfla.com/community/heal...l-not-guaranteed-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic/

you even qualified it in your original post by saying friends say and I’ll have to check

LibertyTurns

Banned
@slugboy There’s reports coming out of our local hospital that greater than 50% of the positives we’re been having are likely not to have been positive after all. Most of the reports have been squashed so far by Quest, Lab Corp, BRL, etc according to the staff. There’s going to be a crap storm down here soon. People are not going to be happy.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Except that’s not what this says: https://www.wfla.com/community/heal...l-not-guaranteed-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic/

you even qualified it in your original post by saying friends say and I’ll have to check
My Lord there’s a TON of FALSE information out there. Below is Florida’s 143 page handbook. Step #1 in reopening is it’s a LOCAL decision. It also clearly states it’s not a mandate forcing schools to have open campuses.

This election needs to get over. The media is getting intolerable as they are pulling out every trick in the book to sway this election. It’s getting very disgusting & disheartening to see such blatant lack of ethics.

http://fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/19861/urlt/FLDOEReopeningCARESAct.pdf#page35

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
@slugboy There’s reports coming out of our local hospital that greater than 50% of the positives we’re been having are likely not to have been positive after all. Most of the reports have been squashed so far by Quest, Lab Corp, BRL, etc according to the staff. There’s going to be a crap storm down here soon. People are not going to be happy.

What?!? Are these nasal swabs, saliva, or do you know?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
You're begging the question. Analogies are meant to assist in illustrating a principle. That has been achieved. There is a conflict in each: your exercise of your liberty puts others at risk. We are rife with that in society. In each situation, we must decide whether the benefits to others in restricting your liberty justifies the cost of your liberty. This is where you have erred. What we determine is the best balance for alcohol doesn't matter as to what we determine as the best balance for COVID.

So, if you wish to further discuss this balance, we must come to some clearer understanding as to:
1. What are the benefits of compulsory mask wearing?
2. What is the harm to your individual liberty?

1. Benefits in my opinion are mostly psychological. Where is there definitive proof that wearing a cloth mask prevents the spreading of the disease? I’ve seen studies and experts on both ends of this debate. Little proof that wearing a cloth mask prevents the spreading of the disease in a meaningful way. There is also debate on whether or not asymptomatic people can spread the disease.
2. Anytime the government exercises power to control the masses in the name of safety, it’s a slippery slope. I don’t trust the people who told us in the beginning not to wear masks and they don’t do any good only to then turn around and say the opposite.

If we focused a fraction of the time and attention as a country that we have guilting and shaming non mask wearers into finding ways to protect the most vulnerable, we’d be in a lot better place.

The flu is significantly more deadly for young people than Covid. Should we just start wearing masks all the time in flu season now?

So while wearing a mask isn’t a huge burden, mandating them be worn (government not private businesses, they have every right to require them) is a slippery slope towards more power.

And you can throw out the tinfoil hat stuff all you want. I’m sure many people did the same to those who talked about big brother (ask Snowden how that’s going).

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
1. Benefits in my opinion are mostly psychological. Where is there definitive proof that wearing a cloth mask prevents the spreading of the disease? I’ve seen studies and experts on both ends of this debate. Little proof that wearing a cloth mask prevents the spreading of the disease in a meaningful way. There is also debate on whether or not asymptomatic people can spread the disease.
2. Anytime the government exercises power to control the masses in the name of safety, it’s a slippery slope. I don’t trust the people who told us in the beginning not to wear masks and they don’t do any good only to then turn around and say the opposite.

If we focused a fraction of the time and attention as a country that we have guilting and shaming non mask wearers into finding ways to protect the most vulnerable, we’d be in a lot better place.

The flu is significantly more deadly for young people than Covid. Should we just start wearing masks all the time in flu season now?

So while wearing a mask isn’t a huge burden, mandating them be worn (government not private businesses, they have every right to require them) is a slippery slope towards more power.

And you can throw out the tinfoil hat stuff all you want. I’m sure many people did the same to those who talked about big brother (ask Snowden how that’s going).

This is getting further off topic and of no actual conversational value. To the board: I'm sorry for my contribution to this pointless sideshow.

LibertyTurns

Banned
What?!? Are these nasal swabs, saliva, or do you know?
We don’t even know how to answer our people. We’ve had a couple swabbed positives called back in & reversed plus a supposed mix up in the lab with other people’s specimens, but I think the majority have been the anti-body positive tests. They’re recommending retesting of all our positives. This all started happening last week, maybe sooner & we didn’t connect the dots that people were being retested until our HR was discussing status on follow ups as part of our return to work protocol. The a couple local doctors called alerting us to a potential issue. Now “unofficially” the hospital is throwing a pretty big number around. Legally I’m not sure this one’s seeing the light of day.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

1. You’ve been outside in the cold or smelled someone smoking a cigarette, correct? That is vapor coming from the lungs and it travels. By wearing a mask it reduces the output of those vapors SIGNIFICANTLY. Bill Ney put on a mask and tried to blow out a candle to show the efficacy of a mask. If you can visually see the reduction of output one can assume that there is a reduction of Viral Loads. It’s basic physics...

2. It’s not slippery when there is a definitive end goal and that’s eliminating the virus. “Living with it?” Please. And the people that told you that? Scientists. You don’t trust Science? There was a shortage of PPE therefore they wanted to make sure the frontline workers had it. I could go deeper but I won’t.

Non mask wearers should be ashamed and feel guilty. You don’t care about the others around you. Don’t confuse inconvenience with oppression. Doctors wear them all day for surgery to protect you and also essential workers wear them for 6-8 hours a day, so yeah, you can handle 30 minutes while shopping(It’s REQUIRED here in Jackson, WY)

This isn’t about flu season. It’s about Covid season. And probably yeah we should. The culture in Asia has been this way for years. They are used to it. Maybe we should catch up.

Deleted member 2897

An article from 11 years ago back during the swine flu:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/swine-flu-cases-overestimated/

In late July, the CDC abruptly advised states to stop testing for H1N1 flu, and stopped counting individual cases. The rationale given for the CDC guidance to forego testing and tracking individual cases was: why waste resources testing for H1N1 flu when the government has already confirmed there's an epidemic?”

The CDC is just simply amazing.

This is why we think 70 million people had it, but we just don’t know. No shutdown, no obsession over testing - we even shut testing down - no nothing.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
When I read that document, it seemed like a very detailed plan to me. Honestly it feels like people are just trying to manufacture reasons to complain. I don’t know how you can read that and think it’s not a plan. Sure, someone has to order the plastic desk shields for example and install them...but I mean come on. If your district is going to wait for the state to implement it and do everything for your schools, you’re in big trouble.

If you haven’t read the whole thing (it’s 50 pages), you might jump to the appendices. Under bus safety for example, it shows a diagram of how to sit kids on the bus to minimize spread. And so on. Yes, so a facilities person has to implement this - they have to mark X’s where the kids can sit or whatever, but it’s all there.

Once again showing ignorance of the plan and not even understanding you have done so.

Lets take a simple topic like bus safety as an example. Would you consider this a plan? What time would your child be picked up? Dropped off? How many extra buses would you need? How many bus drivers would you need to hire? I could go on an on about the lack of a clear plan but you can just point out how everyone but you is wrong again.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Non mask wearers should be ashamed and feel guilty. You don’t care about the others around you.

Successful Infection = (Exposure to Virus) x (Time)

If we can decrease the amount of virus released into the air in droplets through wearing masks, we will increase the time in which we can have safer face-to-face conversations.

I do not wear a mask. You do not get COVID by just breathing or respirating air. The particle density has a great deal to do with it. In grocery stores, shopping is very low risk because the particle density is low AND I am usually in the store for only 10 or so minutes which is not enough for infection. The grocery store employee however, even in a low density environment, is at higher risk because the exposure time (8 hours) is long enough for the a successful infection.

The biggest dangers are residences, workplaces, and nursing homes where there are numerous people and poorly ventilated, conditioned space. To date, from contact tracing, we know that less than 0.3% of all infections are due to any activity that has taken place outside.

Takeaway: “If you are going to engage in lengthy face to face conversations as in a workplace or nursing home, you should mask.. If you have limited bursts of exposure, especially in low density environments, masks are not necessary.”

Techster

Helluva Engineer

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
1. You’ve been outside in the cold or smelled someone smoking a cigarette, correct? That is vapor coming from the lungs and it travels. By wearing a mask it reduces the output of those vapors SIGNIFICANTLY. Bill Ney put on a mask and tried to blow out a candle to show the efficacy of a mask. If you can visually see the reduction of output one can assume that there is a reduction of Viral Loads. It’s basic physics...

2. It’s not slippery when there is a definitive end goal and that’s eliminating the virus. “Living with it?” Please. And the people that told you that? Scientists. You don’t trust Science? There was a shortage of PPE therefore they wanted to make sure the frontline workers had it. I could go deeper but I won’t.

Non mask wearers should be ashamed and feel guilty. You don’t care about the others around you. Don’t confuse inconvenience with oppression. Doctors wear them all day for surgery to protect you and also essential workers wear them for 6-8 hours a day, so yeah, you can handle 30 minutes while shopping(It’s REQUIRED here in Jackson, WY)

This isn’t about flu season. It’s about Covid season. And probably yeah we should. The culture in Asia has been this way for years. They are used to it. Maybe we should catch up.
I got something Bill Nye can blow on.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Most of these replies belong in the Covid-19 thread in the Lounge. They don’t directly or specifically pertain to the three GT Football players. When we open this up expecting to find a post with updated news on the health of the team.....???????
The moderators continue to sleep or have moved their masks over the eyeballs....
please move these posts out of here to clean up the obvious four pages of coronageddon that don’t belong in this particular Football thread. Thank you!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Awesome! Another thread where we can debate the pros and cons of wearing a mask. I can't get enough of these. Thanks guys.

Hope the athletes that have tested positive are doing well and recovering.
I guess it's time to add a new debate that we have at my house.
Toilet-Paper-Debate.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.