Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You sound fortunate that your schools were well prepared and diligent with the zoom meetings. In my area school ended without any zoom or live interaction.
Most teachers did as little as possible and it was on the parents to act on what was sent out.
That's unfortunate. It also has to do with the amount of property taxes paid and the teacher compensation. We specifically moved into this school district knowing the taxes were outrageous because we knew the level of instruction was going to be equivalent to private school education.

Deleted member 2897

That's unfortunate. It also has to do with the amount of property taxes paid and the teacher compensation. We specifically moved into this school district knowing the taxes were outrageous because we knew the level of instruction was going to be equivalent to private school education.

Thete is no correlation like that here. Our high school is one of the higher rated in the country (ranked in the top 2%). And the teachers there did next to nothing.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thete is no correlation like that here. Our high school is one of the higher rated in the country. And the teachers there did next to nothing.
My comment was that with the higher salaries, it seemed the teachers felt more of a moral imperative to actually work. It was more a correlation between teacher's salaries and the amount of work that was done. There were other local school systems where I heard from colleagues that more reflected the type of experiences being described on here.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thete is no correlation like that here. Our high school is one of the higher rated in the country (ranked in the top 2%). And the teachers there did next to nothing.
By the way, I have a younger aunt who just retired, this year, from the SC public school system. She taught 8th grade English and History. She's Master's +40. She and I have had this conversation many times, so I'm aware of what public school teachers in SC earn. The discrepancy is incredible.

GT_EE78

Banned
>as you can see,there appears to be underreporting over the holiday weekend so the bounce may be partly due to catchup.
(hopefully the current age differential allows the decline to resume)
>The recent rise is definitely a concern. still the problem would have to triple to rival April's numbers.
upload_2020-7-12_13-16-1.png

Deleted member 2897

By the way, I have a younger aunt who just retired, this year, from the SC public school system. She taught 8th grade English and History. She's Master's +40. She and I have had this conversation many times, so I'm aware of what public school teachers in SC earn. The discrepancy is incredible.

They can make a ton of money here. My sister is an English teacher in NC and makes over $80k a year - not including Cadillac healthcare and pension plans. In SC when you include all the benefits, they make a good living with the right certifications and tenure.

My sister across her lifetime will earn a couple million dollars in salary and benefits from teaching. I consider that more than a decent compensation.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We’ve tested 50 million people. We have contact tracing. We have the same recommendations of good hygiene, social distancing, and wearing masks. What else can you do if a large population thumbs their nose at it? WhT do you expect mayors or governors or the Congress or whoever to do?

I was having similar thoughts to this recently. You'd think we'd have a vast increase in the rate of germophobes, but nope.

I'm not the best at it, but I'm washing my hands WAY WAY more, ALWAYS wear a mask, even in my car sometimes, limit leaving my home, and when I do, try to keep a distance from people, whether it's walking on the street or in the supermarket.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I lived in FL for two years after college, and I usually go down there once or twice a month during spring and summer for fishing trips. I've only been down to FL once this year, and my Key West trip in September is 75% certain to be off. This has me concerned for FL, and breaks my heart:

Population of Florida: 21,477,737 (2019 est.)
Population of South Korea: 51,709,098 (2019 est.)

Be safe my FL friends.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I lived in FL for two years after college, and I usually go down there once or twice a month during spring and summer for fishing trips. I've only been down to FL once this year, and my Key West trip in September is 75% certain to be off. This has me concerned for FL, and breaks my heart:

Be safe my FL friends.

Total deaths from COVID in...

South Korea - 289. Florida - 4,242.

Deleted member 2897

Be safe my FL friends.

Well Florida isn’t an Orwellian police state like South Korea which is basically an island too. Also, about 10 million people in Florida in any given month (equivalent time 50% of the population) aren’t residents - they have an enormous and constant transient population of visitors and travelers. We just got back from vacation in Florida and I’d say go. Takeout only, use good hygiene, wear masks, etc etc...all the stuff you know. We didn’t feel any less safe than had we gone anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well Florida isn’t an Orwellian police state like South Korea which is basically an island too. Also, about 10 million people in Florida in any given month (equivalent time 50% of the population) aren’t residents - they have an enormous and constant transient population of visitors and travelers. We just got back from vacation in Florida and I’d say go. Takeout only, use good hygiene, wear masks, etc etc...all the stuff you know. We didn’t feel any less safe than had we gone anywhere.
@Techster Florida’s a tourist state and we normally welcome the visitors, but until this thing blows over we’d just as soon you all would stay home. It’s a free country though so come if you want, but I’d definitely stay away from South Florida. Don’t fly into Miami or Ft Lauderdale, don’t stay there, etc. Gas up before Stuart and wait to stop until Marathon. Too many Miami people working in Islamorada, etc. I’d stay away from I-75 and take I-95 down. Tampa is iffy but it’s mostly St Pete that’s been whacked & south of there is a disaster as well. The east coast north of Palm Beach has been doing what everybody should have been doing all along as this thing has progressed. That’s why you get so many different opinions about Florida, it’s really 2 different scenarios down here- the poorly run cities vs the well run cities & towns.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if anybody has posted this:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/videos/an-interview-with-dr-anthony-fauci/

This is the 538 interview with Dr. Fauci that has gotten so much press recently. It has the additional upside of allowing the guys to look at Anne Rothschild, a certified babe. Short take: once we get a vaccine that works, we'll have millions of doses available very quickly. Why? Because the vaccines that look like good candidates are already in production. The companies involved are producing, come Hell or high water. He doesn't give details, but the DPA must be involved with this.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
They can make a ton of money here. My sister is an English teacher in NC and makes over $80k a year - not including Cadillac healthcare and pension plans. In SC when you include all the benefits, they make a good living with the right certifications and tenure.

My sister across her lifetime will earn a couple million dollars in salary and benefits from teaching. I consider that more than a decent compensation.
I think compensation for teachers should be high enough to encourage highly successful industry people to take the opportunity to teach. It's not, so, in general, those going into Education in college come from the lower 2nd quartile and upper 3rd quartile of high school college-bound students. No knock on teachers, at all, it's just the statistics (at least about 15 years ago when I last saw the data).

GT_EE78

Banned
Dr. Atlas: Coronavirus surges linked mostly to protests -- and proximity to US-Mexico border
Dr. Scott Atlas, a senior fellow at The Hoover Institution, said Saturday night.Spikes in Texas, Florida and Arizona don't line up with reopening but with Mexico's surge and the recent protests that have gripped the U.S., Atlas said.
"When you really look closely at these so-called re-opening policies, whether it's in Georgia or Florida or Texas, you know, we didn't really see a big correlation of cases and hospitalizations from that," Atlas said. "That's really not true. That's sort of some sloppy thinking, I think, again. We really ... have to look closely at why these things are happening."By the way. California didn't really reopen. Yet they have cases coming up.

They correlate mainly to two things -- the big thousands and thousands of people with protesting, sharing megaphones, screaming. That's a setup to spread cases," Atlas said. "And also when you look at the analysis of the border counties, there's a tremendous amount of cases coming over the border and exchanging with families in the northern Mexico states."

"So the real concern that that I see right now is that there are hospitals getting crowded in their ICUs and this is clearly a concern," Atlas said. "The crowding is from the reinstatement of regular medical care, which is actually very important. We have locked that down before and that policy kills people. So we don't want to go back to that.""The solution to this is really protect the high risk in a more diligent way than we are. We have been very, very clear about that to people," Atlas said. "The second part is increase the hospital capacity." https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-at...to-protests-and-proximity-to-us-mexico-border

Status
Not open for further replies.