Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Also, the data is all out there publicly available for people to look at, you don't have to rely on the media to spoon feed you.
FL is a good example that Liberty mentions. Their testing rate has almost tripled since April 16, but their cases have gone up over 12X in that same span and the positive test rate has gone up almost 4X. so the vast majority of the increase in FL, is not due to increasing testing, its due to increasing transmission. If it wasn't increasing in transmission as you increased testing you would actually have a decreasing positive test rate.

That doesn't mean every place in FL is in a crisis situation, not every place in NY was, but it means there are places that are really bad.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On COVID and education. I know this has been posted on the football thread but the Georgia Tech faculty has come out strong against the Board of Regents. They have an open letter they sent to the Board of Regents that as of today i believe is up to 800 out of the 1,100 faculty signing it declaring that the Board of Regents is not taking actions based on best science and that they are endangering the GT community. They are asking that President Cabrera have ultimate authority to make any decisions he sees fit in terms of keeping the GT community safe. They also demand that masks be required on campus and that online delivery of classes be the default method of learning this fall. There is a separate letter from non-academic faculty and staff that had over 1,400 signatures as of Sunday.

What the GT faculty are asking for is pretty similar to some of the decisions we have seen from schools that have made decisions in the last few days. USC, Harvard, Princeton have all announced that they will teach primarily online this fall. All 3 are planning to limit the number of students on campus and the Ivy schools have said even for students on campus, classes will be online and USC said most classes would be online.

My opinion is we should be trying to get elementary kids into school this fall as what research has been done suggests they don't get affected too much and don't transmit it much,
But HS and college it might be different. It appears by that age, even if a person is presymptomatic they are shedding the virus at least as much as someone who is symptomatic.

There has also been the research coming out where they are determining that the primary variant in the US right now is what they call the G variant (Glycine). it does not appear to be any more deadly, but it is potentially 3-6X more contagious than the original virus that came out of China. This variant first appeared in Europe and then crossed to the US through NY and quickly became the dominant variant.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Many states have been setting up alternate care sites (ACS) for months e.g., Maryland, Illinois, Colorado, etc. These are facilities or locations (e.g., convention centers) repurposed in the case that surge capacity is needed.

My impression is that the states who have been working on this for 4-5 months are now in a position where they have much more capacity than hospital bed stats alone would suggest. This includes already having beds in place, contracted the clinical support, secured PPE/future procurement needs, etc.

So with respect to Florida, does anyone know Florida's alternate care site (ACS) capacity? I couldn't find details of their set-up readily, just a high level document (http://www.floridahealth.gov/progra...sponse/_documents/alternate-care-site-ops.PDF), and that document is fairly ambiguous with respect to Covid.

Deleted member 2897

On COVID and education. I know this has been posted on the football thread but the Georgia Tech faculty has come out strong against the Board of Regents. They have an open letter they sent to the Board of Regents that as of today i believe is up to 800 out of the 1,100 faculty signing it declaring that the Board of Regents is not taking actions based on best science and that they are endangering the GT community. They are asking that President Cabrera have ultimate authority to make any decisions he sees fit in terms of keeping the GT community safe. They also demand that masks be required on campus and that online delivery of classes be the default method of learning this fall. There is a separate letter from non-academic faculty and staff that had over 1,400 signatures as of Sunday.

What the GT faculty are asking for is pretty similar to some of the decisions we have seen from schools that have made decisions in the last few days. USC, Harvard, Princeton have all announced that they will teach primarily online this fall. All 3 are planning to limit the number of students on campus and the Ivy schools have said even for students on campus, classes will be online and USC said most classes would be online.

My opinion is we should be trying to get elementary kids into school this fall as what research has been done suggests they don't get affected too much and don't transmit it much,
But HS and college it might be different. It appears by that age, even if a person is presymptomatic they are shedding the virus at least as much as someone who is symptomatic.

There has also been the research coming out where they are determining that the primary variant in the US right now is what they call the G variant (Glycine). it does not appear to be any more deadly, but it is potentially 3-6X more contagious than the original virus that came out of China. This variant first appeared in Europe and then crossed to the US through NY and quickly became the dominant variant.

And those GT faculty are not using the best science either. The number of people 18-22 who end up in the hospital is infinitesimally small...and those people are usually massive obese and spend time in the hospital here and there anyway. Much of the faculty are older people who don’t want to pick it up. Who can blame them. I guess they don’t think they can teach without being close to students. But make no mistake - they’re watching out for their own rear ends and not the GT students. I happen to disagree with them on the science all the way through. And financially, if we’re not filling stadiums and dorms, their fear may be eliminated for them by. Ortiz of being fired.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Had an unusual incident at work today:

2 individuals got talked into going to the drive up by their family to the test place that opened on Tuesday. Neither was symptomatic but there sister that no longer lived at home was tested positive the day before & they had seen her the previous weekend. They were in a line by their count was 2mi long and they only moved about 1/4 mi in an hour, so they decided to leave because they were going to be sitting there all day. Today they got letters in the mail saying they were positive & had to quarantine. They were dumb enough to tell some co-workers. Now we got HR on one side telling them to go home for 14 days, the Nurse yelling at them, the leadership team claiming it’s idiotic, etc.

How do you test positive if you never get tested? On a side note, these guys get an answer back in essentially 3 days (letter had to be mailed Friday to arrive Monday) & I’ve got others using the same lab the tests go to waiting now on day 10 with no results. None of this crap makes sense. 4 more days & the people tested on 6/25 are going to be delayed coming back to work because we do not allow people to come back without results if they take a test.

TechPreacher

Banned
Nearly 50% of all the deaths have occurred in nursing homes. There is a 3-decade span between the average death age and the average infection age. Birx said publicly during a task force briefing that they were counting corona deaths even when corona was not the cause. And where did all the flu cases go? They seemingly disappeared. The virus has been in the US since at least October, but the impeachment hoax was going on, so another hoax was one too many. The numbers are being baked for political/financial gain. Hospitals are not full. They weren't full during the spring either. Thousands of nurses were furloughed. Even New York didn't exceed capacity. Franklin Graham's help went unused, and the Navy ship was empty. In Georgia, the state park for quarantine never filled up. The flu has a vaccine and 50k people still die from it every year. Is there a real coronavirus? Of course. Does it warrant ruining everything? Absolutely not. Protect the old people and the vulnerable. Everyone else, get back to life.

Deleted member 2897

Nearly 50% of all the deaths have occurred in nursing homes. There is a 3-decade span between the average death age and the average infection age. Birx said publicly during a task force briefing that they were counting corona deaths even when corona was not the cause. And where did all the flu cases go? They seemingly disappeared. The virus has been in the US since at least October, but the impeachment hoax was going on, so another hoax was one too many. The numbers are being baked for political/financial gain. Hospitals are not full. They weren't full during the spring either. Thousands of nurses were furloughed. Even New York didn't exceed capacity. Franklin Graham's help went unused, and the Navy ship was empty. In Georgia, the state park for quarantine never filled up. The flu has a vaccine and 50k people still die from it every year. Is there a real coronavirus? Of course. Does it warrant ruining everything? Absolutely not. Protect the old people and the vulnerable. Everyone else, get back to life.

giphy.gif

slugboy

Staff member
And those GT faculty are not using the best science either. The number of people 18-22 who end up in the hospital is infinitesimally small...and those people are usually massive obese and spend time in the hospital here and there anyway. Much of the faculty are older people who don’t want to pick it up. Who can blame them. I guess they don’t think they can teach without being close to students. But make no mistake - they’re watching out for their own rear ends and not the GT students. I happen to disagree with them on the science all the way through. And financially, if we’re not filling stadiums and dorms, their fear may be eliminated for them by. Ortiz of being fired.

I didn’t read everything that Red did, but one objection I saw from a professor was that it made no sense for just the professor to be masked—the students should be as well. In a 50-student classroom, a student is a lot more likely to get infected or infect a fellow student, and the professor has their own risk from the students. It seems like a minimal requirement to also mask the students.

I have my doubts about the lecture and the Q&A with masks on, however.

One of the best learning channels I had was sitting around a table with other students, looking at the material, and talking with each other. At best, that’s going to be curtailed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

I didn’t read everything that Red did, but one objection I saw from a professor was that it made no sense for just the professor to be masked—the students should be as well. In a 50-student classroom, a student is a lot more likely to get infected or infect a fellow student, and the professor has their own risk from the students. It seems like a minimal requirement to also mask the students.

I have my doubts about the lecture and the Q&A with masks on, however.

One of the best learning channels I had was sitting around a table with other students, looking at the material, and talking with each other. At best, that’s going to be curtailed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn’t understand half my professors, without their wearing a mask. LOL.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know where you live, but the state I’m in is not known as being the worldwide leader in technology and innovation. :D. But we have a very aggressive testing and contact tracing infrastructure. As we all know, none of any of this amount to much more than a hill of beans if people choose to misbehave. Remember the huge original outbreak in New Rochelle NY? That was a highly educated attorney. He was sick for over a month and did not tell anybody. He never went to the doctor. He kept going into large gatherings like grocery stores, mass transit, synagogue. As long as people choose to misbehave, there is only so much we can do. Unique from the rest of the world, we are also a heavily obese society, which is one of the biggest risk factors. The vast majority of countries who have seen a dramatic decrease in cases are the ones who were completely overridden by it in the first place. There are only a few countries out there who have kept their cases low that did not experience that – New Zealand, Germany, South Korea, etc. each of those have their own unique situations that the United States cannot mimic. We are not a remote island. We are not largely a healthy fit country. We are not an Orwellian police state. We are full of selfish people who misbehave and ignore recommendations. IIWII.
Where I live you have to drive at least an hour to get a test. At first they would not even test you if you could not prove exposure. Yeah, it was a mess a couple months ago. Slightly better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.