Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

LibertyTurns

Banned
So again I ask you, what happens if you go to a game, get the virus and then give it to the grocery clerk who has to work and he gives it to his wife with pre-existing conditions? Literally nothing you said addresses that situation.
How do you know I could go to the game sitting next to people that have all freely decided to attend & none of us have anything & nothing happens? How do you know the virus has not changed & is no longer as potent as it originally appeared to be or maybe the dorked up statistics, bad reporting, etc were really just all that?

We’re testing 20x the amount we were testing in March & the number of hospitalizations, not the RATE, is slightly lower. How can that be? Our infection rate is up but we’re hospitalizing less & the number of people dying from it is lower?

You can continue to avoid basic facts but the AT RISK pool is very elderly (over 80) and very sick (morbidly obese with severe asthma, significant respiratory illnesses or heart disease or worse a combination of both, etc). I would think if you were in that category you’d be doing what my family is doing, safeguarding the old & sick. The rest of my entire family, everybody I know and the entire nation of folks not in the risk pool should not have to go into lockdown hermit mode when we completely understand the causal factors & there are rational measures that can be put into place to counteract the causes just because some political group of morons wants to score some points on some brainless newscast.

Milwaukee

Banned
Do you REALLY need it explained to you for the millionth time? Let’s say you go to the game and get it. Then you go to the grocery store the next day and give it to the clerk who goes home to his wife who’s got pre-exisiting conditions and she gets it and has to fight for her life.

It’s not about freedom. It’s about caring about other people. Its trying to minimize unnecessary hotspots for spread of the disease. A football game is unnecessary and while everyone at the game made their choice to go to the game, everyone they come in contact with the next two weeks didn’t make that choice. There are more vulnerable people you may come in contact with because they have no choice(the clerk being an example of someone going to work).

How about this? If you attend a sporting event, you have to stay isolated at home for the next two weeks? Freedom has consequences, right? It’s about being allowed to make choices and weigh the consequences of your choices yourself, right? So what if that’s your consequence for your freedom? You get to decide if going to a ball game is worth mandatory social isolation for two weeks afterwards. If you decide it is, great, enjoy the game. If you don’t want to do that, don’t go to the game. No one is holding a gun to your head to go. However, that wouldn’t fly. Everyone would ***** and moan. So it may be in the best interest of society at large to just not have fans because the fans aren’t going to be responsible.

This is absurd. The clerk with the wife that has pre existing conditions should be quarantined if he’s that worried. Horrible analogy. If you’re vulnerable or live with vulnerable people then stay home but the rest of us will go watch football games. Stop overthinking it.

Milwaukee

Banned
This is ridiculous. If a clerk at a grocery has a wife with pre-existing conditions he should assume every person he comes into contact with has the virus. The precautions he takes is his choice as to what he takes home to his wife. You’re premise is that the poor clerk is getting unknowingly blindsided - is the clerk oblivious to the world? How bout this, since we are in month 3 of the public panic - assume every person has the virus and make choices accordingly.

Ya beat me to it. Great post.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
How do you know I could go to the game sitting next to people that have all freely decided to attend & none of us have anything & nothing happens? How do you know the virus has not changed & is no longer as potent as it originally appeared to be or maybe the dorked up statistics, bad reporting, etc were really just all that?

We’re testing 20x the amount we were testing in March & the number of hospitalizations, not the RATE, is slightly lower. How can that be? Our infection rate is up but we’re hospitalizing less & the number of people dying from it is lower?

You can continue to avoid basic facts but the AT RISK pool is very elderly (over 80) and very sick (morbidly obese with severe asthma, significant respiratory illnesses or heart disease or worse a combination of both, etc). I would think if you were in that category you’d be doing what my family is doing, safeguarding the old & sick. The rest of my entire family, everybody I know and the entire nation of folks not in the risk pool should not have to go into lockdown hermit mode when we completely understand the causal factors & there are rational measures that can be put into place to counteract the causes just because some political group of morons wants to score some points on some brainless newscast.
What about the 42 year old police officer at GT that passed away earlier this month? I don’t think he was morbidly obese. There are outliers.

Talked with my buddy that lives in Islamorada and there was a 9 y/o that died in his county.

it’s affecting more than just the group you described.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aj...icer-lit-room/J9CJEfQacP2Rc8wIoesEkO/amp.html

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
What about the 42 year old police officer at GT that passed away earlier this month? I don’t think he was morbidly obese. There are outliers.

Talked with my buddy that lives in Islamorada and there was a 9 y/o that died in his county.

it’s affecting more than just the group you described.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aj...icer-lit-room/J9CJEfQacP2Rc8wIoesEkO/amp.html

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

But look at the raw numbers. A seemingly healthy person can die just as easy as one who is obese.

Not making light of the officer who died, or the child, but the numbers prove there should not be panic in any age group below 65.

Number of testing going up. Number of positive test are going up. Number of hospitalizations going down. number of deaths going down. Yes, even as we reopen.

But staying on topic, are we ahead of other schools with our Phase 2 reopening for all football and basketball SA to be on campus?

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Literally noone wants anyone to die or suffer or be sick... ZERO people are hoping for that. But death, suffering & sickness are unavoidable. To dismiss reasonable folks saying.... let's figure out how to safely attend football games by pointing out singular cases of death or suffering isn't fair.

To say attending a football game is unnecessary & meaningless is likewise dismissive & a very slippery slope as we define what breaks some threshold of meaning & necessity in determining what activities should or should not be sanctioned & pursued.

Personally... I do not think I'd go to BDS today if a game were held. Even at say 50% capacity.... but there will be a time or set of conditions (before covid is wiped off the planet) that I would choose to go. I think we can & should trust our fellow citizens to act responsibly... the bulk are. Those that aren't... should be compelled to come in line short of imposing draconian measures overly affecting the responsible majority.

It’s about limiting unnecessary risks. Sports are a luxury. It’s perfectly reasonable to cancel luxury events where literally tens of thousands of people gather during a global pandemic. Remember, we’re talking about fan-less games. We’re not talking about serious issues here. I don’t see how postponing a few meaningless leisure activities to protect people is “putting our lives on hold”. You can watch the games on TV. It’s like when fans give death threats after losses. It’s only a game. We don’t need to put people’s health at risk over a game.
And yet during the 1918 pandemic, when people were far less knowledgeable about such things than we are today, they still held football games with fans, and apparently the world was no worse off for having done it.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
And yet during the 1918 pandemic, when people were far less knowledgeable about such things than we are today, they still held football games with fans, and apparently the world was no worse off for having done it.
You realize that in that time in our country life expectancy was in the high 40's/low 50's right? We can go back to doing things the 1918 way if you want but you will likely have been dead for years if we do.

You realize that in that time in our country life expectancy was in the high 40's/low 50's right? We can go back to doing things the 1918 way if you want but you will likely have been dead for years if we do.
Totally meaningless argument. With lower life expectancy back then, you would think they would have done more to protect themselves. They wore masks to the game, and that was apparently sufficient.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
My grandparents lived to be in there 90's back then if the avg was high 40's low 50's it would have been cause of child deaths which they had bothers and sisters that died before the age of 1. Child health is what we have improve upon.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are a lot of people on this board who will tell you they are positive they have the answer. The only thing I'm positive of is that they don't.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’ve seen a mix of those stories, but mostly around “can we use UV light to sterilize equipment and masks?”. And that appears to be a “maybe”.

The difference between July and March for transmissibility isn’t expected to be altered much by sunlight. Some effects, but not a panacea
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The UV light in sunlight reaching earth doesn't decompose viruses. So no effect despite urban legend going around.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200327-can-you-kill-coronavirus-with-uv-light

That said being outside is much safer given the dispersion of the virus. But not because of sunlight.

Deleted member 2897

The UV light in sunlight reaching earth doesn't decompose viruses. So no effect despite urban legend going around.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200327-can-you-kill-coronavirus-with-uv-light

That said being outside is much safer given the dispersion of the virus. But not because of sunlight.

That wasn't the subject. Irradiation of blood is a long standing thing (including with yes, UV light). You can disinfect all kinds of things with it, including blood and PPE. It is a real thing. Fake news about fake stories with fake assumptions and fake context are not.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of people on this board who will tell you they are positive they have the answer. The only thing I'm positive of is that they don't.

Kinda arrogant of you wouldn't you say? Are you not willing to listen to a dissenting opinion or possibility?

Or are you the end all of know all?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Lol. The grocery store clerk can go on unemployment like millions of other citizens during this pandemic. Your argument is terrible.

That’s not true. If your job is is open and you’re not furloughed, you do not qualify for unemployment. In this scenario, that clerk doesn’t qualify for UE because THE GROCERY STORE IS OPEN. So you’re saying this guy should quit his job just so you can watch football in person?

Again, a rational measure is postponing a ****ing game that no one needs. Also, you don’t know if a drunk driver will ACTUALLY hit and kill someone, yet DUI is still a thing because it puts other people at risk. Yes, you could go to the game and nothing happens, just as I could drink 20 beers and get behind the wheel and nothing happens, but it’s still dangerous and reckless.

Also, it doesn’t look like Florida is doing good at all, mate: 3,822 new cases today even with testing down 11%.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Totally meaningless argument. With lower life expectancy back then, you would think they would have done more to protect themselves. They wore masks to the game, and that was apparently sufficient.
How many caught the virus and died or spread it to someone else who died? You literally have no idea and never will have any idea because all the you saw was a picture. What you are arguing is that we as a society should completely disregard everything we have learned in the last 100 years on healthcare and managing a pandemic. Ill just disagree and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.