Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Just because things are better, doesn't mean they're great.

You're being dismissive of something you can't understand.

I don't think you would.

Yeah, I actually would.

And I love how you just assume I can’t understand. Quit putting people in different categories and only viewing them through that lens.

Man, if I interacted with my wife or my employees based on “just because things are better (and really good), it doesn’t mean they’re great”, I’d have some pretty ****ty morale and they’d tune me out pretty quickly, if not seek another relationship/employer.

Try focusing on and being grateful for all the good that is around you. Regarding the things that aren’t, be careful not to judge others on the speck in their eye when you just might have a speck or two in your own.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, I actually would.

And I love how you just assume I can’t understand. Quit putting people in different categories and only viewing them through that lens.

Man, if I interacted with my wife or my employees based on “just because things are better (and really good), it doesn’t mean they’re great”, I’d have some pretty ****ty morale and they’d tune me out pretty quickly, if not seek another relationship/employer.

Try focusing on and being grateful for all the good that is around you. Regarding the things that aren’t, be careful not to judge others on the speck in their eye when you just might have a speck or two in your own.

If we were just grateful for the good around us, we'd still be drinking from separate water fountains.

Milwaukee

Banned
021F6256-4ADE-4E79-A4DD-6833E9903FC9.gif

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
If we were just grateful for the good around us, we'd still be drinking from separate water fountains.

how about we keep this present day, versus going back 60+ years ago, since that’s what we’ve been discussing....USA as it is right now.

probably best to either take this to PM or just call it a day, and you and dtm can go back to arguing about ice cream.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Now, now. My father's family is from Mississippi. But there's no reason to deny the truth; it's a poor state and the leadership it elects has usually made things worse. My folks down there are the first to admit it too.

Since you want to double down on your ignorant comment

F off, F off

Some statistics for you: AL, AR, and MS. Combined population $11M, Coronavirus cases: 6,244; deaths: 175
NY population $20M. Coronavirus cases: 159,937; deaths: 7,027
NJ population $9M. Coronavirus cases; 51,027; deaths: 1,700

They may not be smart enough to do the math, but I'm sure you are.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Apologies that I apparently opened a political rabbit hole. I did not mean to, I was genuinely curious about why those statements were made as it did not seem any different to me than a normal illness affected poor communities more. @bwelbo 's explanation made sense to me.

Can we just go back to regular news on the disease and its impacts outside of politics now?

My humblest apologues.

Deleted member 2897

The U.K. just keeps getting worse. Just had their worst day of new cases by far. They still have one of the worst testing limitations in the world, so their death rate is 12%. 30x the flu. The Swedish experiment limps on. But they’ve enacted so many different social distancing things, they’re halfway there to doing what everybody else is now. The pressures on - they keep getting worse by the day.

Even countries like Singapore who were showing promise early on have hit a second wave. I think we’re a couple weeks out from trying a new tack - quarantine/isolation for vulnerable people but loosen the screws on the rest. Governors will have to depart from the CDC and NIH as they want us to be locked down until a vaccine is out. Their fatal fault is they don’t take economics or resulting ramifications of their decisions into account at all.

We’ve tried almost a month of staying at home and it’s hardly making a difference.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Some more things in Michigan that don't seem to make sense as necessary to combat COVID-19. Nurseries and garden centers are closed. That means that people who grow their own food are going to be late getting the supplies needed to grow that food. If a person grows all Spring/Summer and cans food for the winter, they will be a few months short of their normal supply. Also starting today it is not legal to travel from one residence you own to another residence you own. If you: Live alone, get in your car, drive from your suburb home to a remote lake cabin, get out of your car and check the basement for water leaks, get back in your car and drive to your suburb home: you are not interacting with anyone and not likely to be spreading disease. However, that is not allowed.

At what point are regulations about stopping the spread of disease and at what point are they simply government trying to exert control?

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...itmers-expanded-coronavirus-order/5125426002/

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone have a source indicating how many over 60 have shown no or very mild symptoms ? Thanks

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
The U.K. just keeps getting worse. Just had their worst day of new cases by far. They still have one of the worst testing limitations in the world, so their death rate is 12%. 30x the flu. The Swedish experiment limps on. But they’ve enacted so many different social distancing things, they’re halfway there to doing what everybody else is now. The pressures on - they keep getting worse by the day.

Even countries like Singapore who were showing promise early on have hit a second wave. I think we’re a couple weeks out from trying a new tack - quarantine/isolation for vulnerable people but loosen the screws on the rest. Governors will have to depart from the CDC and NIH as they want us to be locked down until a vaccine is out. Their fatal fault is they don’t take economics or resulting ramifications of their decisions into account at all.

We’ve tried almost a month of staying at home and it’s hardly making a difference.
Hardly making a difference !? Are you actually listening to people that know what they are doing ?

Deleted member 2897

Please enlighten us as to which raw data shows that mitigation isn't making a difference.

The data I see shows that about three weeks after mitigation infection rates start to decrease. It appears to be that way just about everywhere it has been attempted.

I can see that some places, but not nationally overall.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I can see that some places, but not nationally overall.

What data? What places?

You specifically said that you made that conclusion from looking at data. If so, please enlighten us as to what data and what areas led you to that conclusion.

GT_EE78

Banned
Hypertension, obesity are most common ‘underlying conditions’ of coronavirus patients requiring hospitalization: CDC study
1,482 COVID-19 patients from 14 states, including Oregon, who were admitted to a hospital between March 1 and March 28. The research found that about 90% of those studied had one or more “underlying condition” and nearly 75% were 50 years of age or older.
The 5 most common underlying conditions of COVID-19 patients requiring hospitalization, according to the study:

Hypertension: 49.7%
Obesity: 48.3%
Chronic lung disease: 34.6%
Diabetes mellitus: 28.3%
Cardiovascular disease: 27.8%

Obesity was the most prevalent underlying condition for patients under 65; for those over 65, hypertension was number one.
https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavi...ents-requiring-hospitalization-cdc-study.html

Status
Not open for further replies.