Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

I like Rand Paul generally, and I like the principles he stands on. However, now is not the time to hold up the emergency bill in Congress by adding an amendment to kill the war in Afghanistan. Maybe that's a great idea, and maybe Congress will vote for it. But in the meantime, it added another 3 days to the process just to add it into the schedule to vote on it and then come back and vote on the bill's final form. He will rightly be ridiculed and condemned for this.

Deleted member 2897

Little old Switzerland with 8 million people now has over 3,000 cases. The world has a sad.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
KROGER IS HIRING

Apply Today!
As America's grocer, we're here for our customers and communities when they need us most, with open stores and openhearted hospitality. To help keep our stores open to support the communities we serve, we're hiring 10,000 new associates nationwide with immediate positions available. If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, we'd love to hear from you.

https://jobs.kroger.com/

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Somewhere, Andrew Yang is screaming into a pillow.
You mean that quiet Asian guy who politely stands in the corner and actually makes a lot of sense when he does speak?

Yeah, I like him and has to be snorting through his nose right about now....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The herd immunity was basically what the US and especially UK were doing until the leaders of those 2 countries were shown modeling of what that meant in terms of mortality. in the US is was anywhere from 1.2 to 1.7 million deaths (in a country with 350M people even a mortality rate of just 0.4% is over 1M if not one has immunity). in the UK, 250K. Not an elected politician on the Earth is going to be willing to just go along with that.

This is a virus that was originally an animal virus for who knows how long, in Nov 2019 it spread from an animal to a human for the first time. Within a couple of weeks it mutated to where it could spread person to person. And according to something I read today it has already mutated again so there are 2 distinct strains. It's been an incredibly hardy and aggressive virus that has shown the ability to mutate and replicate easily. Since it is something that came from the animal world and is not some sort of previous flu type virus there is no immunity for humans right now. There also have been cases overseas of re-infection (though it is just as likely that it was never fully recovered from).

The other problem with the herd immunity process is that you overwhelm your entire healthcare system so not only do you have deaths from the virus, but your mortality rate for others that come in with heart attacks, cancer, broken bones and other ER issues go up as there is not space or resurces for them.

The 1918 H1N1 Pandemic is a good one to study. In the US, areas that chose not to cancel public functions and pretty much went on living how they were living (in particular Philadelphia and Baltimore) ended up being the most hard hit areas in the US. it also caused secondary outbreaks as people went back to normal and it spiked again - Boston. Obviously anywhere with really high population is going to be more susceptible to a breakout. Hence the numbers multiplying very rapidly in NYC and surrounding comminuties.

I'm not a big fan of deficit spending but right now is actually the appropriate time to be doing it. The government is going to have to support both business and workers (the first part is going to be very politically unpopular and seen as government handouts to businesses and the wealthy). My belief is they will likely have to do more than 2 payments to individuals and the payments may have to be higher as this drags on and more people are released from jobs as payroll tax cuts only help those who have jobs. But there are certainly industries that will go under without government help as well. I'd make the assistance to companies work similar to TARP during the Financial crisis. Basically a loan that will have to be repaid at some future time that is not completely specified. The Federal government ended up getting all its money back plus interest from TARP.

There was also a very good article yesterday on CNN by a doctor that looked at differences between SK and italy in terms of infection population. It went far beyond testing (though that was a big help for SK in identifying people early and getting them quarantined). But in general, Italy had an infected population that was older, more male and more smoking and underlying disease issues. in South Korea the infected population was younger, more female and less underlying medical complications. The mortality rate is almost twice as high in men than women and those who smoke or have underlying conditions vs those who don't.

Herd immunity would have the pandemic run its course much more quickly, but at a cost that most people would likely consider unacceptable.

Milwaukee

Banned
The herd immunity was basically what the US and especially UK were doing until the leaders of those 2 countries were shown modeling of what that meant in terms of mortality. in the US is was anywhere from 1.2 to 1.7 million deaths (in a country with 350M people even a mortality rate of just 0.4% is over 1M if not one has immunity). in the UK, 250K. Not an elected politician on the Earth is going to be willing to just go along with that.

This is a virus that was originally an animal virus for who knows how long, in Nov 2019 it spread from an animal to a human for the first time. Within a couple of weeks it mutated to where it could spread person to person. And according to something I read today it has already mutated again so there are 2 distinct strains. It's been an incredibly hardy and aggressive virus that has shown the ability to mutate and replicate easily. Since it is something that came from the animal world and is not some sort of previous flu type virus there is no immunity for humans right now. There also have been cases overseas of re-infection (though it is just as likely that it was never fully recovered from).

The other problem with the herd immunity process is that you overwhelm your entire healthcare system so not only do you have deaths from the virus, but your mortality rate for others that come in with heart attacks, cancer, broken bones and other ER issues go up as there is not space or resurces for them.

The 1918 H1N1 Pandemic is a good one to study. In the US, areas that chose not to cancel public functions and pretty much went on living how they were living (in particular Philadelphia and Baltimore) ended up being the most hard hit areas in the US. it also caused secondary outbreaks as people went back to normal and it spiked again - Boston. Obviously anywhere with really high population is going to be more susceptible to a breakout. Hence the numbers multiplying very rapidly in NYC and surrounding comminuties.

I'm not a big fan of deficit spending but right now is actually the appropriate time to be doing it. The government is going to have to support both business and workers (the first part is going to be very politically unpopular and seen as government handouts to businesses and the wealthy). My belief is they will likely have to do more than 2 payments to individuals and the payments may have to be higher as this drags on and more people are released from jobs as payroll tax cuts only help those who have jobs. But there are certainly industries that will go under without government help as well. I'd make the assistance to companies work similar to TARP during the Financial crisis. Basically a loan that will have to be repaid at some future time that is not completely specified. The Federal government ended up getting all its money back plus interest from TARP.

There was also a very good article yesterday on CNN by a doctor that looked at differences between SK and italy in terms of infection population. It went far beyond testing (though that was a big help for SK in identifying people early and getting them quarantined). But in general, Italy had an infected population that was older, more male and more smoking and underlying disease issues. in South Korea the infected population was younger, more female and less underlying medical complications. The mortality rate is almost twice as high in men than women and those who smoke or have underlying conditions vs those who don't.

Herd immunity would have the pandemic run its course much more quickly, but at a cost that most people would likely consider unacceptable.

You should stop copying and pasting bs biased articles and trying to pass them off as your own for merit points. It makes both entities look stupid.
You’re welcome. Don’t buy into this crap.

Deleted member 2897

My 17 year old daughter works at a restaurant. 28 employees minus the managers. Today they laid off 26. She and a friend are still there. Lots of full time people trying to scrape a buck together now unemployed. So sad right now. She tried to give her hours away but the managers said she’s the only one that knows how to do the dishes and make the full menu. So sad.

Deleted member 2897

Fork in the road...

Pure ignorance by the author. Per capita, they’ve had 20x as many cases as us until recently. Right now they still have more than 4x per capita. Scientists state they are about 14 days ahead of us. Why compare apples to oranges? Fake science clickbait.

On the bright side, we have a chance after this is over to eliminate 80% of our government and get more efficient. I predict it’s even bigger when we’re done.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pure ignorance by the author. Per capita, they’ve had 20x as many cases as us until recently. Right now they still have more than 4x per capita. Scientists state they are about 14 days ahead of us. Why compare apples to oranges? Fake science clickbait.

On the bright side, we have a chance after this is over to eliminate 80% of our government and get more efficient. I predict it’s even bigger when we’re done.

LOL. Reading comprehension is your friend. The fact that you use per capita to compare the situation lets everyone know you either didn't understand the article, or didn't read it (I know, shocking...).

South Korea tested more people in the same amount of time than the United States. How do you quantify "per capita" for the United States when we're struggling to get tests for people who meet the stringent test requirements, and that's not even including people who check the boxes for virus infections. Did you see the White House's presser today? Tests are so hard for the US to get right now that the tests they can get are only going to the areas where infection density is the highest. Thats f'ing scary. How exactly are you getting an accurate "per capita" number when even our best experts have no idea how to solve for X right now?

If you can't comprehend the material it's probably best not to criticize the authors.

You are right with one thing, why compare apples to oranges...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Am I missing something?

Comparing between other countries & US gets futile very quickly. Too many variables & timing differences to account for.

The only way to limit spread of this virus is to avoid contact with the virus.

There is no vaccine. No treatment. Nothing... except isolating each of us from the rest of us helps right now.

Testing provides data that helps in some respects... but the only way to flatten the curve is to stay home. I have tried to understand the correlation some point to with South Koreas massive testing to their flat curve... but I don't understand a direct correlation.

We're comparing countries to countries. The population densities vary vastly in those comparisons. So... to attempt to predict our relative trajectory is a bit crazy, right?

New York is seeing the most cases... by far. Washington has a lot of cases... but fewer new cases. Aggregating US data is not very useful IMO.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
And I’ve heard a few of the Doctors interviewed say, it will be over a year following the side effects of the volunteers, before drawing any finite conclusions before decisions can be made on the present vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.