Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The nearest Waffle Houses to NYC are Scranton, PA and Maryland.
I have a few relatives left in Scranton/Dureya. Guess I’ll bring them some T.P. if I should visit. Housewarming gift. In honor of hitting the big time with an Awful House.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I really need some TP at 270 it's kind of hard for me to do this. May go to Walmart's tomorrow and buy a couple of uga shirts cut them up and use them.
I had an idea to have you go through the self-check out line and take extra bags(triple bag those shirts up, since they’ll stink to start with), and you could use the bags to tie the remnants of the cut shirts after usage, to go in the “bad neighbors trash can” during the middle of the night. You know, when the wife tells you to deposit the empties from the daily beer fest. Only hole in my theory is the darn Walmart baggies are so cheap they all have holes in them to start with. Can’t hold sh-irt together.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I heard a few nights ago that we already have a serious shortage of ventilators in the country, so things could get very bad very quickly. And once again it is the fault of the CDC, the NHS, and similar government-run health agencies. And people want increased government control of health services why???
In a out half the states hospitals have to complete Certificate of Need permits for facilities and equipment.

Bet the approved level of ventilators

My

Deleted member 2897

News says this morning that there are more and more healthcare workers testing positive.

The NY governor Cuomo is an idiot. This morning he said we need everything nationalized. Otherwise if NY closes bars, “people will just go to another state to go to a bar.” That’s not really how things work. I live in SC. I can tell you I’m not driving to another state to go to a bar during a pandemic. LOL. I’m then driving home drunk down the interstate? LOL.

Stephanie Ruhl on NBC has been saying every day not to touch your money and be too worried about your investments. Always with a big smile. I’ve just been shaking my head at her the entire time. That’s not ever how you give investing advice. Even in calm times you might want to sell some of your investments - it always depends on your risk profile.

Half the morning staff was out today because people on the Today Show have tested positive.

Ive been confident in a $2T deficit. I’m thinking $3T is a coin flip right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 2897

Pretty glib, # tests still limited, and would have 2 meet your states guidelines for testing. Do you know what those guidelines are?

Yes, we can’t test an unlimited number of people. But we are still at 90% negative, meaning we’re testing a lot of worried people who are worried for no reason. But if we’ve tested almost 1,000 people, that’s like New York testing 5,000.

I haven’t gone through the website, but I’m assuming their pre-screening requires travel, contact with someone sick, or showing symptoms yourself.

But the bigger point is just head scratching. States like NY are complaining they can’t get any tests, they have to go through the CDC, and all this other stuff, but that’s not the case elsewhere......how is that possible? How are those states different?

Deleted member 2897

In SC, all schools are closed. 2 free meals per student per day for anybody who wants it. You either come to school to pick it up, or they are using the bus routes to deliver them to anybody who signs up. This hopefully will help poor and single parents. Those demographics have gotta be in a tough spot right now.

Deleted member 2897

Yes, we can’t test an unlimited number of people. But we are still at 90% negative, meaning we’re testing a lot of worried people who are worried for no reason. But if we’ve tested almost 1,000 people, that’s like New York testing 5,000.

I haven’t gone through the website, but I’m assuming their pre-screening requires travel, contact with someone sick, or showing symptoms yourself.

But the bigger point is just head scratching. States like NY are complaining they can’t get any tests, they have to go through the CDC, and all this other stuff, but that’s not the case elsewhere......how is that possible? How are those states different?

Just went to the website - first you meet with a nurse live over the Internet to pre-screen you. Discussing how you feel, where you’ve been, etc. No wait, no appointment.

https://campaigns.muschealth.org/virtual-care/index.html

Then once it’s confirmed there is at least some scientific basis to be tested, you get a code or appointment and you can go through one of their drive through locations.

https://www.wistv.com/2020/03/12/mu...en-collection-site-novel-coronavirus-testing/

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I heard a few nights ago that we already have a serious shortage of ventilators in the country, so things could get very bad very quickly. And once again it is the fault of the CDC, the NHS, and similar government-run health agencies. And people want increased government control of health services why???
Some truth to that supersize, but vent shortage would be more the purview of individual states and CON laws. However blaming that for shortages assumes more hospitals and nursing homes would have asked for more vent beds. They are more expensive and the additional fixed costs would raise rates required to break even. Haven’t seen any detailed breakdown but it would be interesting to see how any shortage breaks down between CON states and those without.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Can someone kindly explain how a question at the debate last night mentioned the possibility that “millions” of Americans could die from Coronavirus. That struck me as outrageously irresponsible.
Remind me again how many died in China? Isn’t that the absolute best data for what is likely here in the US?

Deleted member 2897

Can someone kindly explain how a question at the debate last night mentioned the possibility that “millions” of Americans could die from Coronavirus. That struck me as outrageously irresponsible.
Remind me again how many died in China? Isn’t that the absolute best data for what is likely here in the US?

There are 50 million Americans over the age of 60. If 100% of them get the virus, and the mortality rate is 10x (1%) the Flu, 500,000 would die. As best I can tell, even in a doomsday scenario we couldn’t get close to that.

Deleted member 2897

Read through this doctor's thread:

It’s been largely the same as almost every other country (when you account for population), with just a little variability. Countries have each been doing things differently here and there, but as far as I can tell with no difference in outcome.

In terms of Italy, they need to shift it even further to account for population (we are 6x larger), but the main point stands.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
There are 50 million Americans over the age of 60. If 100% of them get the virus, and the mortality rate is 10x (1%) the Flu, 500,000 would die. As best I can tell, even in a doomsday scenario we couldn’t get close to that.

That logic doesn't check out chief. You can't take the mortality rate of the disease across all demographics and then assume that will apply to the most vulnerable demographic. It's going to be higher

Deleted member 2897

That logic doesn't check out chief. You can't take the mortality rate of the disease across all demographics and then assume that will apply to the most vulnerable demographic. It's going to be higher

Exactly. Sorry I wasn’t more clear. That was not my doomsday scenario. That 1% was an optimistic scenario. If 100% of every older human gets it and the mortality rate is 4%, you get 2 million deaths. That’s still not what they suggested in their question. 8%+ across every single older person would Get you there. I mean, I guess that could happen. But since nobody has seen anything remotely like that anywhere in the world, it’s a pretty irresponsible question.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
But even in China, outside of Hubei province (where Wuhan is located), the mortality rate has been around 0.3% according to New England Journal of Medicine. So that 10x figure seems greatly exaggerated.

the cost of the prevention is going to exceed the danger of deaths.

Deleted member 2897

But even in China, outside of Hubei province (where Wuhan is located), the mortality rate has been around 0.3% according to New England Journal of Medicine. So that 10x figure seems greatly exaggerated.

the cost of the prevention is going to exceed the danger of deaths.

I was using a mortality rate strictly focused on people over age 60, not across the entire population. That’s what Lotta Juice was calling out.

Status
Not open for further replies.