Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

I don't have a subscription. Please give specific examples. All I could see was a title "It will go away." It will. Timing of when certain things have been said also matters. But most importantly, the assertion was made that he hasn't taken this seriously, hasn't done enough to stop or slow it, and I'd like to hear what specific things he should have done. Especially things that the health professionals or others have been asking for. Politics aside, a discussion on what we should have done and when would be appropriate for this thread.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don't have a subscription. Please give specific examples. All I could see was a title "It will go away." It will. Timing of when certain things have been said also matters. But most importantly, the assertion was made that he hasn't taken this seriously, hasn't done enough to stop or slow it, and I'd like to hear what specific things he should have done. Especially things that the health professionals or others have been asking for. Politics aside, a discussion on what we should have done and when would be appropriate for this thread.
I guess we should start another thread on this

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And then here we go again with no specific examples of what he should have done differently. Going all the way back to January, the WH and Congress and the CDC and NIH have been in constant contact and I've not ready anywhere people were pushing back on this or that. I'd love to read some examples of what people said he should be doing differently that he didn't do. For every person that complains Trump himself didn't take this seriously (which isn't an actual policy that affects anybody anyway), there is a person that complains they've completely over-hyped it. It can't be both. I've consistently found from the very beginning that everything out of the health professionals (CDC/NIH) mouths was honest, transparent, level-headed, and science-based.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...47d3d0-5fcb-11ea-9055-5fa12981bbbf_story.html

I am sure some of you will reject this article without reading because it was written by a (GASP) conservative pro-Trumper, but I urge you to get past that and read the actual facts she includes in it about the history of the CDC. It was very eye-opening for me, and really has nothing at all to do with Trump or partisan politics at all --- https://michellemalkin.com/2020/03/11/cdc-centers-for-damaged-credibility/

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting...

Thought about that recently also. Bunch of people touching the same voting machines, queuing in lines, etc.

Similar vein, what about the mailman, delivery drivers, etc. who touch mail, packages, etc and do it rapidly, house-to-house, etc. People can react how they want.

Deleted member 2897

OK, I just read that article. The entire thing is about the delay in being able to test for coronavirus.

Is that it? When you say that the administration hasn’t been taking this serious enough and we are all worse off for it, of all of the things he’s done (or not) is it just this one that you disagree with?

If so, I’d like your answer to 2 things:
1) what could a different administration have done differently? Dr. Fauci has stated repeatedly that our FDA processes and regulations do not allow for a fast ramp up. You and I could go screaming in there as the president demanding that they just do what you say, but they won’t. They can’t. And companies won’t join in and break the law and risk huge liabilities. What should they have done differently? That’s still the question to be answered.
2) Second, and equally as important, anybody who has tested positive, thinks they might be positive, or was possibly exposed to someone with a virus was supposed to be self quarantining for at least 14 days. If they would’ve had test kits and confirmed a positive rating, the next step would’ve been exactly the same. sure, in the big picture, we need to have much more and better data. But in terms of where we stand right now and how we got here, I don’t see that that would’ve made a material difference.

You seem pretty passionate about this, so I certainly still would like your opinion on what things should have been done differently.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Thought about that recently also. Bunch of people touching the same voting machines, queuing in lines, etc.

Similar vein, what about the mailman, delivery drivers, etc. who touch mail, packages, etc and do it rapidly, house-to-house, etc. People can react how they want.

Yup. Catch 22 with this.

On one hand, safety of the public is the highest priority. On the other hand, keeping the sanctity of the democratic process is also paramount.

Tough call to make all around. There's going to be a LOT of tough decisions to make in the coming weeks.

OK, I just read that article. The entire thing is about the delay in being able to test for coronavirus.

Is that it? When you say that the administration hasn’t been taking this serious enough and we are all worse off for it, of all of the things he’s done (or not) is it just this one that you disagree with?

If so, I’d like your answer to 2 things:
1) what could a different administration have done differently? Dr. Fauci has stated repeatedly that our FDA processes and regulations do not allow for a fast ramp up. You and I could go screaming in there as the president demanding that they just do what you say, but they won’t. They can’t. And companies won’t join in and break the law and risk huge liabilities. What should they have done differently? That’s still the question to be answered.
2) Second, and equally as important, anybody who has tested positive, thinks they might be positive, or was possibly exposed to someone with a virus was supposed to be self quarantining for at least 14 days. If they would’ve had test kits and confirmed a positive rating, the next step would’ve been exactly the same. sure, in the big picture, we need to have much more and better data. But in terms of where we stand right now and how we got here, I don’t see that that would’ve made a material difference.

You seem pretty passionate about this, so I certainly still would like your opinion on what things should have been done differently.
And the delay in testing does not lie at the President's feet; it is the fault of the bureaucratic, foot-dragging CDC.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Queuing in lines should be able to be handled by spacing. Touching voting machines can be handled with sanitary wipes, or investing in food safety gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.