Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

Here come the bailouts.
https://news.trust.org/item/20200312234702-pjm14

Trump will likely be the first President to have a $2T single year deficit on his hands. (Actually first predicted a couple years ago. If we're at the peak our economy has ever been at and we still run almost $1T deficits, the writing was on the wall.) Just like the Financial Crisis wasn't Obama's fault, but he supported all the stimulus and bailouts, so too will Trump have that albatross around his neck. As we saw with the stimulus, bailouts, and spending sequester in 2012, Congress is really who passes the tax and spending bills. But as long as Trump (or any other President) isn't vetoing spending bills, he gets to own the credit/blame too.

slugboy

Staff member
Absolutely. As with any cold weather virus, be vigilant and responsible with people at risk.

It’s running through Australia right now, where it’s late summer. It doesn’t appear to be a cold weather virus like the flu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It’s running through Australia right now, where it’s late summer. It doesn’t appear to be a cold weather virus like the flu.

I listened to a virologist yesterday in a Podcast. He said that people assume that since the covid-19 virus is similar to the flu, it's going to slow when warmer temperatures come around. However, MERS is also a covid strain, it came out of the Middle East where you have soaring temperatures in the 100's. High temperatures actually caused it to spread faster. The fact is, NO ONE knows how the covid 19 virus will act because this is the first time the world is dealing with it. We are literally dealing with it in real time.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
AJC reporting the President to declare the US is under state of emergency.

Can't link it to it...but if you go it's in a big red banner at the top.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not to start the political argument up again but for info only...
  • Australia's Minister for Home Affairs tested positive after traveling back from DC where he met with William Barr & Ivanka Trump.
  • There is some confusion as to whether or not the Brazilian President has tested positive after meeting at Mar-a-Lago last weekend. Reports out of Brazil initially indicated he had tested positive but his son denies that.
  • JetBlue passenger who flew from NY to FL while awaiting test results has been banned from flying with the airline for life. Health officials said the passenger's test came back positive. (There's another one that needs to be prosecuted!)
  • Boston Marathon postponed.
  • Disney Cruise Line has suspended operations until the end of the month. Disneyland, Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris will close this weekend but some hotels, dining options, and retail shops will remain open.

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It’s going to get A LOT worse here but it’s not because of our President as you keep insinuating. But if you’re not ready for what’s coming then you need to buckle up. Hundreds of thousands of Americans will he diagnosed in the coming weeks, if not millions. It’s a cold weather virus, it will pass. But you and others will act like the sky is falling unfortunately.
There’s a case to be made that the administration’s actions, preparations or lack thereof early on has made this a whole lot worse for the USA. Not to mention downplaying the severity of it all right up until the 180 he turned on Wed night.

Deleted member 2897

There’s a case to be made that the administration’s actions, preparations or lack thereof early on has made this a whole lot worse for the USA. Not to mention downplaying the severity of it all right up until the 180 he turned on Wed night.

And then here we go again with no specific examples of what he should have done differently. Going all the way back to January, the WH and Congress and the CDC and NIH have been in constant contact and I've not ready anywhere people were pushing back on this or that. I'd love to read some examples of what people said he should be doing differently that he didn't do. For every person that complains Trump himself didn't take this seriously (which isn't an actual policy that affects anybody anyway), there is a person that complains they've completely over-hyped it. It can't be both. I've consistently found from the very beginning that everything out of the health professionals (CDC/NIH) mouths was honest, transparent, level-headed, and science-based.

Milwaukee

Banned

I think they are experiencing artic blasts with summer snow currently in Australia. Have you seen that? I could be wrong.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
And then here we go again with no specific examples of what he should have done differently. Going all the way back to January, the WH and Congress and the CDC and NIH have been in constant contact and I've not ready anywhere people were pushing back on this or that. I'd love to read some examples of what people said he should be doing differently that he didn't do. For every person that complains Trump himself didn't take this seriously (which isn't an actual policy that affects anybody anyway), there is a person that complains they've completely over-hyped it. It can't be both. I've consistently found from the very beginning that everything out of the health professionals (CDC/NIH) mouths was honest, transparent, level-headed, and science-based.
Until Wednesday night the proof of the President misleading the American people and downplaying the severity has come right out of his mouth and his twitter feed, if you want me to search up quotes and videos I will

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
“I think they are both trying to show that they're incredibly active and aggressive in public, but some of the decisions behind the scenes haven't always reflected the best judgment of career professionals. In the case of Alex Azar, he did go to the president in January. He did push past resistance from the president's political aides to warn the president the new coronavirus could be a major problem. There were aides around Trump - Kellyanne Conway had some skepticism at times that this was something that needed to be a presidential priority.

But at the same time, Secretary Azar has not always given the president the worst-case scenario of what could happen. My understanding is he did not push to do aggressive additional testing in recent weeks, and that's partly because more testing might have led to more cases being discovered of coronavirus outbreak, and the president had made clear - the lower the numbers on coronavirus, the better for the president, the better for his potential reelection this fall.”

GT_EE78

Banned
Until Wednesday night the proof of the President misleading the American people and downplaying the severity has come right out of his mouth and his twitter feed, if you want me to search up quotes and videos I will
Take it to a politcal thread and stop polluting this one

Deleted member 2897

Opinions or opinion articles don't do anybody any good. Again, what are specific examples of something he should have done which he didn't. Even better, specific examples that other people have been clammering for. Congress, the CDC, the NIH, and the WH have been in near constant contact for months on this. Nobody has come out screaming that X isn't being done or Y - I may have missed it, but especially from the health professionals I've not heard anything. We've shut off travel to China. Then Italy. Now Europe. Just about everything is shutting down across the country. The only thing I think they could have done differently is completely shut down international travel and our borders when they first stopped travel from China. But he would have been raked over the coals for that. Had we shut down all these large gatherings even just 1 month ago everybody would have been complaining that its all being overhyped. Many are actually complaining about the opposite that you are - its being too hyped.

So I'd like to hear examples if you don't mind. If you're passionate enough to make these assertions, surely its because there is a list of things you wish he would have helped implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.