Corner turned?

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Team looked awesome, but we were +3 in turnovers and had near double digit sacks. When that happens you should win convincingly. Let’s see how we play against a team that we don’t dominate in turnover margin.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Team looked awesome, but we were +3 in turnovers and had near double digit sacks. When that happens you should win convincingly. Let’s see how we play against a team that we don’t dominate in turnover margin.
The turnovers come when you are disruptive and we were. We deserved those IMO. If another team does that to us, so be it and they deserve it.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Every turnover we forced though. Its not like UNC players were running clean in the open field and just fumbled with no one around them and we fell on the ball. I think it remains to be seen as to whether we've turned the corner but top teams in Pop Warner, high school, college, and the Pros usually win the turnover battle pretty consistently and convincingly

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Too athletic. Solid back up in Yates but one or two of those rushing touchdowns don’t happen without Sims freakish ability. The 50 yarder especially
Sims played really great. He came in about the time we started to fight back in this game. And he led the way in the fight. We seemed to wear down UNC as the game went on and our O and our D got stronger with time. UNC seemed the more physical team early (our runs were short, we did not protect for Yates well, we missed some tackles, UNC QB ran all over us) but later we seemed to dominate with physical push and hits and our team speed and conditioning seemed to take over. After the Dontae show in mid fourth Q the Tar hills seemed to quit.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Every turnover we forced though. Its not like UNC players were running clean in the open field and just fumbled with no one around them and we fell on the ball. I think it remains to be seen as to whether we've turned the corner but top teams in Pop Warner, high school, college, and the Pros usually win the turnover battle pretty consistently and convincingly
We did force them but we also try to force them in other games and aren’t so successful. There is a huge amount of luck involved in turnovers. And at the college level it’s not the same top teams at the top every year. And the best teams are usually +1 per game over a season. I hope we’ve turned the corner but not sure that we know that we have after this game. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/turnover-margin-per-game?date=2020-01-14

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Just got home and was pondering something the whole 3 hour drive....
Think about how close we are to being 4-0.....a plant foot slip during a kick by, ever since then, a very reliable kicker. A measly 2 yards on 4th down. Both of those go our way and we are getting top 20 votess.

But if if's and buts were candy and nuts.....

Point is, im beyond excited for the rest of the season! Go Jackets!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Just got home and was pondering something the whole 3 hour drive....
Think about how close we are to being 4-0.....a plant foot slip during a kick by, ever since then, a very reliable kicker. A measly 2 yards on 4th down. Both of those go our way and we are getting top 20 votess.

But if if's and buts were candy and nuts.....

Point is, im beyond excited for the rest of the season! Go Jackets!

Clemson still need a 2pt conversion. That's not a terribly hi percentage thing. Then we would have had to win in overtime.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
But the boys made the irrational Collins haters look a little absurd last night.

And, damn, I enjoyed it. Take your fire Collins thread, turn it sideways, and you know the rest. Go root for the Dawgs if you hate Collins so much. Because last night the skinny pants wearing coach made you and your post over the past few weeks here look idiotic.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
My bar for the team at times this year has wavered between "just show some improvement game to game " and "we will go bowling for sure".
Well the reality may be somewhere between those two goals, but for 3 straight games we have begun to look like a team that was focused and prepared, playing with toughness. That has not happened in the CGC era IIRC. Penalties are down noticeably. Our OL and DL play have made huge steps forward. The DBs are tackling hard and coverage is better with less poor eye discipline. The kicking game is becoming more consistent- blocked punt not withstanding. IMO, hoping to win is starting to change to expecting to win. I think we will go as far as Sims can take us this year.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I have to say, UNC didn’t look good. I don’t want to take away from an awesome win, it was spectacular but those guys looked like clowns.

But UNC, if that is all they have then they were going to get clown stomped soon anyway. Glad it was us, because I hate THEM the most outside of uga.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I have to say, UNC didn’t look good. I don’t want to take away from an awesome win, it was spectacular but those guys looked like clowns.

But UNC, if that is all they have then they were going to get clown stomped soon anyway. Glad it was us, because I hate THEM the most outside of uga.
I think UNC overlooked us. Can you blame them ? Our recent history has been to play a "good " game then look lost the next one. Hoping that is beginning to change.