1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Cops

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by Whiskey_Clear, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Animal02

Animal02 Helluva Engineer

There is a fine line.....speaking as an ordinary citizen and speaking as a representative or the force/ organization. Just because you put on a uniform, you do not give up your basic constitutional rights, (except the military) To many believe that if you are a cop, you automatically speak as a representative of the force 24/7

2. 91Wreck

91Wreck Helluva Engineer

I think in Canada they have laws in place where pastors cant tell people they are going to hell for certain sins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

Geez, that would make them as worthless as politicians , but its canada so who cares?

4. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

I don't know most of those folks, but Cynthia Tucker is definitely a racist bigot.

Animal02 and TheSilasSonRising like this.
  5. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

6. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Supersizethatorder-mutt Helluva Engineer

Why? And who is going to stop them? We DO still have free speech in the country, as well as freedom of religion.

7. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

https://www.redandblack.com/athensn...cle_4792ed72-9cd9-11e9-a0c0-9bdd5a0be505.html

Sorry for posting a link to such a scummy website, but they have body cameras of both officers involved in the fatal police shooting in Athens this week.

It appears to be a suicide by cop. I think the policeman who fired first is lucky to not be injured. I know someone who does firearms training for police and military. One thing he says is that you shouldn't stop shooting until the threat has been eliminated. Certainly stop shooting when the guy falls down, but once he gets back up be prepared to fire again.

Whiskey_Clear likes this.
  8. Animal02

Wow.......just a couple of comments......the one officer should never have let him get close enough to grab him. Good thing the second officer is a good shot.
    My only question is do they not have Tasers? seems like that would be a non lethal way to bring him down.

9. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

Haven’t watched it yet. Using less lethal vs lethal is possible but dicey. Not something I would recommend generally. Tasers fail. Even if it works someone has to risk getting hands on with a subject who is still likely armed with a lethal weapon.

In the right circumstances, with enough officers on hand and other possibilities, it can be done. Even in the best circumstances there is still a lethal risk. With just 2 officers on scene.....probably not. Especially is their reactionary gap (space between them) gets closed by the subject.

Bean bag rounds from a shotgun would be a much better option but those are usually only issued to supervisors in most departments.

Animal02 likes this.
  10. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

11. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

12. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

Agree about perjury. But with the DA stretching everything else so far....I suspect the perjury may be a stretch also.

13. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

I am open to the purgery charge possibly being valid because in some places police file official reports under penalty of purgery. I don't know if he filed an official report, or if in Florida official police reports are subject to purgery. However, both are quite possible.

14. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Banned

Every LEO on that scene should have written a supplemental report as an attachment to the initial incident report.

Any such report filed with intentional false info would open the officer up to multiple criminal charges, at the state and federal level, and be cause for termination.

If he made any false statements it most likely occurred in verbal statements made during post incident debriefings or investigative interview. Anything is possible but that’s most likely imo. And the overzealous nature of the DA in bringing those other charges makes me very skeptical of all of them.

15. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

@Whiskey_Clear another thing I would like to point out about this case is it's relationship to your 2A thread. The Supreme Court has ruled that police do not have a Constitutional responsibility to protect citizens. There are plenty of examples of policemen who willingly thrust themselves into the middle of life threatening situations to protect others, but police are just human. No-one who hasn't been in the middle of a life threatening situation knows for sure if they will act appropriately, freeze up, or act in such a way that will cause more harm.

If an intruder enters your house, it will probably take the police longer to get there than it will for the intruders to injury you. If the police do get there in time, it is possible that a nervous policeman could hit you while shooting at an armed intruder.

People should not be denied the opportunity to defend themselves. Even if you don't want to arm yourself, you should think about and have plans for what to do if confronted with a violent situation. No matter if you want to resist or if you want to capitulate to a violent attack, you should think about it ahead of time and plan. Waiting until someone has a gun or knife in your face to think about how to react can lead to a bad result even if want to submit to robbery. If you wait until then to think about it, you might react in such a way that spooks the robber even though you don't want to resist.

16. Technut1990

Technut1990 Helluva Engineer

Not busting my bubble there Supreme but I am saying its a double standard, You and I both know that public officials are not held to the same standards and then there are different categories of "public officials". A mayor will not be treated the same as a desk clerk and you know it.

Animal02 and Whiskey_Clear like this.
  17. Animal02

And a lib will get treated different the a conservative in a city like Chicago vs a small rural town in Indiana.

18. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/vide...122675135/640x360_MP4_4825772779122675135.mp4

It isn't my intention to turn the "Cops" thread into the Erica Thomas thread, and I hope it doesn't. I just found this video interesting. The police officer is interviewing a witness. He appears to intentionally repeat her statement back to her incorrectly and mischaracterize it. It looks like a good way to interview. The witness repeats her statement several times and corrects him when he states it incorrectly. It would be frustrating to be interviewed that way, but there wouldn't be any misunderstanding at all about what the statement is.

awbuzz likes this.
  19. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Supersizethatorder-mutt Helluva Engineer

Well, that certainly sheds a new light on things.

20. Animal02

My prosecutor brother did that all the time. Trips up liars