Cool defensive stat

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Shutting down Toledo who had some pretty gaudy offensive numbers heading into that bowl game was very impressive. What is going to work out well is that Woody uses lots of players in his scheme and keeps everyone fresh while developing quality depth and experience.

He knows how to play defense against these hurry up folks.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Shutting down Toledo who had some pretty gaudy offensive numbers heading into that bowl game was very impressive. What is going to work out well is that Woody uses lots of players in his scheme and keeps everyone fresh while developing quality depth and experience.

He knows how to play defense against these hurry up folks.
I was pleased that the players rotating didn't lead to missed men or blown coverage frequently. It wasn't great that we had to burn those TOs with 10 men on the field, but frankly I was afraid of much more egregious mistakes coming from the rotation. If we can keep that tightened down I think this will pay off huge against the HUNH stuff people are running nowadays.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know. I want really badly to believe we might actually have a decent defense that is fundamentally sound and aggressive. But.

I thought we'd like having Al Groh. And then I thought we'd like having Ted Roof. So. Color me down right suspicious until I see how our defense responds to a team with a pulse.

I don't know. I want really badly to believe we might actually have a decent defense that is fundamentally sound and aggressive. But.

I thought we'd like having Al Groh. And then I thought we'd like having Ted Roof. So. Color me down right suspicious until I see how our defense responds to a team with a pulse.
I knew we would regret having Roof. Others said the same about Groh, but I had no feelings either way about hiring him.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
I did some digging and Toledo was 11 and 3 in 2017 and averaged 36.4 points a game which ranked them 13th in scoring offense in the NCAA. They averaged 485 yards on offense with 270 of it coming through the passing game.

When App State shut them out in the bowl game and held them to less than 300 yards in total offense, frankly I was surprised. Even more shocking was that Toledo didn't run the triple option. Everyone knows that if you have three weeks to prepare for the triple option everyone can shut it down. So being able to shut down a "passing offense" in a bowl game without the blueprint like everyone has for the CPJ triple option offense, was even more amazing! This DC is going to be a good hire for GT.