Congratulations to the GT FB Program

1st time poster here

I just wanna tell the guys that the Fans appreciate their hard work and their perseverance thru a tough season last yr, lesser Coaches and lesser Players would have allowed that tough season to snowball into a Kansas Jayhawk level Program

But our guys and our Coaches didn't let that happen, I'm super optimistic and I think we've turned a corner

I'll mainly lurk around and enjoy the Gameday talk, just wanted to drop an appreciative word about the Team and Coaches

Home dog vs UCF, the guys in Vegas aren't up to date on the effects of our S&C Program, we win outright vs UCF, easy money for the Gamblers among us

Before I go, the WR Coach deserves praise for the vast improvement of our Receivers, they looked like Oklahoma Sooners running wide open all game long, not just 1 guy but multiple guys on each passing play

We are going to surprise a lot of Teams this yr

Deleted member 2897

1st time poster here

I just wanna tell the guys that the Fans appreciate their hard work and their perseverance thru a tough season last yr, lesser Coaches and lesser Players would have allowed that tough season to snowball into a Kansas Jayhawk level Program

But our guys and our Coaches didn't let that happen, I'm super optimistic and I think we've turned a corner

I'll mainly lurk around and enjoy the Gameday talk, just wanted to drop an appreciative word about the Team and Coaches

Home dog vs UCF, the guys in Vegas aren't up to date on the effects of our S&C Program, we win outright vs UCF, easy money for the Gamblers among us

Before I go, the WR Coach deserves praise for the vast improvement of our Receivers, they looked like Oklahoma Sooners running wide open all game long, not just 1 guy but multiple guys on each passing play

We are going to surprise a lot of Teams this yr

Welcome to the site! Thanks for your fandom and positive vibes!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

It bears repeating ... Georgia Tech is one of the Top 50 STEM universities in the world and still playing D1 football. Our kids average the highest SAT scores of any athletic program in the USA.

There‘s only one word for that: Impressive.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't doubt it but where can I find that info so that I can rub it in the noses of some special friends on mine?
That was from a USA Today/AJC article about 10 years ago to disprove Tech's academic requirements for football players. Only public schools were included and Michigan came in second, a full 100 points behind Tech's average SAT score.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just to be clear, that's not the entire athletic department, just the football program. It's also only include a select 54 PUBLIC schools. This is a much different statement than "Our kids average the highest SAT scores of any athletic program in the USA." Pretty sure Princeton, Harvard, Yale, etc still have athletic programs.

Even with those disclaimers: Still Impressive

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just to be clear, that's not the entire athletic department, just the football program. It's also only include a select 54 PUBLIC schools. This is a much different statement than "Our kids average the highest SAT scores of any athletic program in the USA." Pretty sure Princeton, Harvard, Yale, etc still have athletic programs.

Even with those disclaimers: Still Impressive
i
It would be interesting to see a refresh. But, Tech having being 2x ... is impressive

Deleted member 2897

The real take home here is how ****ing stupid athletes at places like Georgia and Clemson are.

Many schools routinely used a special admissions process to admit athletes who did not meet the normal entrance requirements. More than half of scholarship athletes at the University of Georgia, the University of Wisconsin, Clemson University, UCLA, Rutgers University, Texas A&M University and Louisiana State University were special admits. . . At Georgia, for instance, 73.5 percent of athletes were special admits compared with 6.6 percent of the student body as a whole.”

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The real take home here is how ****ing stupid athletes at places like Georgia and Clemson are.

Many schools routinely used a special admissions process to admit athletes who did not meet the normal entrance requirements. More than half of scholarship athletes at the University of Georgia, the University of Wisconsin, Clemson University, UCLA, Rutgers University, Texas A&M University and Louisiana State University were special admits. . . At Georgia, for instance, 73.5 percent of athletes were special admits compared with 6.6 percent of the student body as a whole.”

I‘ve said this before. When I worked for USG, one of my colleagues had been a football team tutor at UGA. He said the kids couldn’t spell C-A-T. Very depressing.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I‘ve said this before. When I worked for USG, one of my colleagues had been a football team tutor at UGA. He said the kids couldn’t spell C-A-T. Very depressing.
No new news here. For all the young guys who started following Tech after 1985, you should get the book TAKE DOWN. Tells the true story of Jan Kemp and how UGA terminated her and had grades changed for 9 key players for the 1981 bowl game. Resulting in tainted 1980 championship. You just can’t make that $&@$ up.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
No new news here. For all the young guys who started following Tech after 1985, you should get the book TAKE DOWN. Tells the true story of Jan Kemp and how UGA terminated her and had grades changed for 9 key players for the 1981 bowl game. Resulting in tainted 1980 championship. You just can’t make that $&@$ up.
And there was another administrator there who came out and said STTE "well the Post Office needs fine employees, also" after being asked why they did this for their athletes.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
And there was another administrator there who came out and said STTE "well the Post Office needs fine employees, also" after being asked why they did this for their athletes.
You forgot that they had a 2 year remedial program that would then get them up to college level academic work. I am pretty sure Kemp was part of the remedial program. So they got 2 years of eligibility before they actually started college level courses. That's why I despise that bunch up there in the cess pool.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
You forgot that they had a 2 year remedial program that would then get them up to college level academic work. I am pretty sure Kemp was part of the remedial program. So they got 2 years of eligibility before they actually started college level courses. That's why I despise that bunch up there in the cess pool.
About half their football and men's basketball players were in remedial studies and the response was "Everyone's the same!" So, they(AJC) compared to Tech and there were 4 in remedial math at Tech. My UGa friends said, "See, we knew you did it too!" I laughed and pointed out that remedial math at Tech was pre-calculus and was higher math than required in business at UGa.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yes I remember that remdial program too now that you mention it.

But now they're all so much smarter -) So all's forgiven

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes I remember that remdial program too now that you mention it.

But now they're all so much smarter -) So all's forgiven
Do y’all remember a few years back, I believe during a UGA/FLA game, that there was a player focus segment on Malcolm Mitchell, a WR for UGA where in it he more or less said that he couldn’t read before arriving at UGA? The segment was highlighting him joining or setting up a book/reading club and how great that was, but I found it fascinating that during it it was admitted he couldn’t read. I was watching that game with a bunch of UGA fans, and I just remember their faces when I asked “how embarrassing is it that your star athlete just admitted, on national TV, that he couldn’t read before accepting a scholarship TO GO TO COLLEGE?! Tell me again about y’all’s (UGAs) STUDENT athletes...”. The looks on their faces and the silence was priceless.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Do y’all remember a few years back, I believe during a UGA/FLA game, that there was a player focus segment on Malcolm Mitchell, a WR for UGA where in it he more or less said that he couldn’t read before arriving at UGA? The segment was highlighting him joining or setting up a book/reading club and how great that was, but I found it fascinating that during it it was admitted he couldn’t read. I was watching that game with a bunch of UGA fans, and I just remember their faces when I asked “how embarrassing is it that your star athlete just admitted, on national TV, that he couldn’t read before accepting a scholarship TO GO TO COLLEGE?! Tell me again about y’all’s (UGAs) STUDENT athletes...”. The looks on their faces and the silence was priceless.
He could have a learning disability which is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act and is admitted under different rules.