Congrats to TJ Barnes (made it to the Jets 53-man roster)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Moving to the GT Football forum since this one's a result of T.J. playing at GT. And the thread will get more attention.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I always thought the reason TJ had troubles here was that he was playing NT on a 3 man front. If ever there was a young man made by God to play DT on a 4 - 3, it was TJ. One of the reasons I became increasingly disillusioned with Groh was that he didn't see that and change accordingly. I hope he'll stick and have a decent pro career. He's got the talent.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hey, I was one of his biggest detractors, but I am really happy for him and proud of him. You go TJ!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I always thought the reason TJ had troubles here was that he was playing NT on a 3 man front. If ever there was a young man made by God to play DT on a 4 - 3, it was TJ. One of the reasons I became increasingly disillusioned with Groh was that he didn't see that and change accordingly. I hope he'll stick and have a decent pro career. He's got the talent.

Wait. The jets and ryan run a 3-4. Now he may not be playing nose in the 3-4. But rex always has run a 3-4. So is he now one of the ends in the 3-4 vs the 0tech? Or basically the other dt?

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
Wait. The jets and ryan run a 3-4. Now he may not be playing nose in the 3-4. But rex always has run a 3-4. So is he now one of the ends in the 3-4 vs the 0tech? Or basically the other dt?

Ryan bases out of a 3-4, but his Nose rarely two gaps, even if he lines up in 0tech. 4-2 has also been a Ryan staple lately, and Barnes could earn some time as a 3tech. Not to make this about Groh, but I felt his insistence on two gapping with a 0tech Nose was a primary reason he didn't work out at Tech. If you look around, 3-4 has become really popular of late, but very few teams are still using a two gap 0tech. There's a ton of good information on Ryan's defense if you google "Rex Ryan 3-4 playbook", and this is pretty good, if a couple years old, from a Clemson blog. Anyway, I think Barnes could do well in Ryan's scheme, and it's good to see he's on a roster.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Didn't expect this when he left GT...congrats to him!
Me too.
When he played for us - on almost every running play his blocker would get into his body and stand him up. His last year he did improve. Wonder what changed after he left?

Me too.
When he played for us - on almost every running play his blocker would get into his body and stand him up. His last year he did improve. Wonder what changed after he left?
They all mature at different rates. I always thought Barnes was out of shape, too heavy while at Tech. Maybe that light bulb finally came on for him. Also the realization that, hey, I can make significant six figures or more playing football kicked in.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ryan bases out of a 3-4, but his Nose rarely two gaps, even if he lines up in 0tech. 4-2 has also been a Ryan staple lately, and Barnes could earn some time as a 3tech. Not to make this about Groh, but I felt his insistence on two gapping with a 0tech Nose was a primary reason he didn't work out at Tech. If you look around, 3-4 has become really popular of late, but very few teams are still using a two gap 0tech. There's a ton of good information on Ryan's defense if you google "Rex Ryan 3-4 playbook", and this is pretty good, if a couple years old, from a Clemson blog. Anyway, I think Barnes could do well in Ryan's scheme, and it's good to see he's on a roster.

just saw that Barnes is not the 0tech he is the 3tech in the 3-4 anyway so moot point. I do agree it fits him better, for what its worth i said that many times a few years back that he is not a 2gapper despite his size

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Crazy to think Groh had a lot of talent on the team during his tenure...and couldn't take advantage of it.

Makes you wonder how many wins CPJ would have right now (and GT) if he would have had a half decent DC.