Confused by Tony Elliott Support

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of the reasoning is overly simplified. The fact that he works for Dabo means little. I remember when Brad Scott ( dad of co offensive coordinator at Clemson) was made head coach at USCe. He was a cant miss because he ran the powerful offense at FSU and was under the tutelage of legendary Bobby Bowden. After a few horrible seasons he left and still works at Clemson.
Personally I think someone like Moncken is a safe bet to keep CPJ-level performance going and someone like Elliot is the riskier route. I’m just glad I don’t have to make the call with so many fans with opposite philosophies convinced that their viewpoint is a “must”. My concern is that Tech recruit the same high character folks as always. Unlike some others I want Tech to stay Tech and not sacrifice what are for me the main reason I support the team.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I want more than safe, i’d rather swing for the fences on this hire, miss or not. Elliot is our best hope for a home-run imo.

I get that fans like to roll the dice and are much more risk tolerant than the actual decision makers.But... remember CPJ's decision to fake the punt at Pitt? Or, in a more recent game closer to campus, Smart's decision to fake the punt against Bama. Both of those guys caught a world of %$^& for going the 'high risk, high reward" option that fans love...except when it fails. We have really no $kin in the game so we are playing with house money when we make a recommendation. TStan does. So, given that he was educated at GT and it's his rear end on the line, I expect him to make the best rational and business decision at the end of the day. If it's this guy, I'm all in. If it's Whiz, I'm all in. If it's Geoff Collins, I'm all in. If he gets Saban or some guy we've never heard of, I'm all in. It's his job on the line. Not mine.

white coffey

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for all of the well thought-out and comprehensive responses! In reply to some of the earlier ones, CPJ's departure was not a simple "retirement" in the middle of his contract. I think we all know that he got tired of hearing all of the "Fire Paul Johnson" fans. The big "FIRE CPJ" banner in the end zone kind of said it all. Why would he stay? So yes, it was a decision between CPJ and another coach. You might not have personally run him off, but he sure didn't feel the love. It won't happen, but I think our best coaching option is to beg CPJ to stay until we can identify another coach. Why do we have to accept whoever is available during this two-to-three week period of time?

As for Tony Elliott, it is my understanding (from inside sources at the time), that the entire coaching staff of Furman was fired after the 2010 season. Head Coach Bobby Lamb went to Mercer after "announcing he was resigning at Furman after his teams had MISSED THE PLAYOFFS FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS." Elliott was part of that staff. So Elliott went across town to Clemson, but Dabo was already at Clemson. So what did Elliott actually do? And if he was that valuable, wouldn't he be THE OC, and not co-OC?

Everyone was upset with CPJ because he wasn't competitive with Clemson and UGA, and everyone wants to be the next Alabama. But frankly, none of those schools would even consider a head coach like Elliott. He wouldn't even make the list. So, why aren't we setting our sights higher??? The problem with GT just might be some of the responses that sound like a whipped dog - we have to take whoever will come to lowly Tech. Woe is me. That's not right. It should be a great job, and it sure is a lot of $$$$. Let's set a high standard!

People compare Kirby Smart to Elliott. But keep in mind that Kirby also won the Broyles award in 2009, and then UGA offered him the Defensive Coordinator position - NOT THE HEAD COACH JOB. It was another 6 years before he took a head coaching job. Elliott won the Broyles award just last year, and now we want to pay him millions and just hope he'll be a good head coach? Doesn't seem right.

WC

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for all of the well thought-out and comprehensive responses! In reply to some of the earlier ones, CPJ's departure was not a simple "retirement" in the middle of his contract. I think we all know that he got tired of hearing all of the "Fire Paul Johnson" fans. The big "FIRE CPJ" banner in the end zone kind of said it all. Why would he stay? So yes, it was a decision between CPJ and another coach. You might not have personally run him off, but he sure didn't feel the love. It won't happen, but I think our best coaching option is to beg CPJ to stay until we can identify another coach. Why do we have to accept whoever is available during this two-to-three week period of time?

As for Tony Elliott, it is my understanding (from inside sources at the time), that the entire coaching staff of Furman was fired after the 2010 season. Head Coach Bobby Lamb went to Mercer after "announcing he was resigning at Furman after his teams had MISSED THE PLAYOFFS FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS." Elliott was part of that staff. So Elliott went across town to Clemson, but Dabo was already at Clemson. So what did Elliott actually do? And if he was that valuable, wouldn't he be THE OC, and not co-OC?

Everyone was upset with CPJ because he wasn't competitive with Clemson and UGA, and everyone wants to be the next Alabama. But frankly, none of those schools would even consider a head coach like Elliott. He wouldn't even make the list. So, why aren't we setting our sights higher??? The problem with GT just might be some of the responses that sound like a whipped dog - we have to take whoever will come to lowly Tech. Woe is me. That's not right. It should be a great job, and it sure is a lot of $$$$. Let's set a high standard!

People compare Kirby Smart to Elliott. But keep in mind that Kirby also won the Broyles award in 2009, and then UGA offered him the Defensive Coordinator position - NOT THE HEAD COACH JOB. It was another 6 years before he took a head coaching job. Elliott won the Broyles award just last year, and now we want to pay him millions and just hope he'll be a good head coach? Doesn't seem right.

WC
CPJ is gone and wont be coming back to GT so get over it:rolleyes:

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Complete agreement. But if we are going the " great assistant" route, I think their may be more qualified candidates out there under the radar. According to reports , TStan is targeting someone with HC experience FIRST. Time to trust and support TStan.
Being HEAD coach is a lot different than being coach. Need someone with several years HC experience.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Everyone was upset with CPJ because he wasn't competitive with Clemson and UGA
I am a big CPJ supporter. People hate CPJ for losing to Duke more than Clemson. I feel like this is unwarranted, but it is what it is.

You aren't the only one with concerns about Elliott. Many people have brought up similar points. Again, some people value certain traits over others. Having Elliott as a HC main recruiter with seasoned OC/DC guys as glue guys *could work*. Having a seasoned HC with young OC/DC recruiter types *could* work. Paying 10 million for top of the line HC and assistants *would* work, but is not feasible. So we as Tech fans (doing what we do best) are bitching with each other about what we think will work best.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with this wholeheartedly, Clemson did it when Chad Morris left. Doesn't seem like Clemson missed a beat. Morris on the otherhand has struggled at SMU, and at Arkansas.

Chad Morris created the offense that Clemson is running. Morris is struggling at Arkansas and is recognized as Elliots mentor. Elliot needs to take a turn as OC somewhere else to show it’s not a system thing and gain some more experience under another coach. Then he would be a great hire. 5 years from now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Folks, Offense is not and has not been the issue at Tech since CPJ got here. We have rolled it up on everybody . This year we have the 22nd best scoring offense. It is the few that have no clue about football that continue to harp on this. Our issue is defense and has been for 40 years. CPJs offense was the best defense we ever had, this I want to keep it. Monken or Bohannon.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

WC
Nobody wants us to be Alabama until we regularly beat Duke.

I agree TE ain't our man.

.I would be totally against taking a young oc that has no idea how hard it has been to recruit to ga tech.

Andy was here in pensacola recruiting a really smart ol man that went to Clemson. Kid wants to be engineer - was promised he could be on sideline in playoffs. GONE TO CLEMSON. That program is rolling.

I like Josh H of ucf because he was a star college qb at ou that came up the hard way. Also his coaching career is the same way. Last year this board was laughing at them ducking us due to hurricane. They ended up being good.
. Ucf has gotten better this year!

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Elliot needs to take a turn as OC somewhere else to show it’s not a system thing and gain some more experience under another coach. Then he would be a great hire. 5 years from now.
Then he’ll cost 2x as much. What you seem to be advocating for is a low-risk hire.. which also means low-reward (6-7 wins)

That’s cool if that’s how you’d like to play it, but I’m willing to risk a flame-out for the upside of playing for ACC championships.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Folks, Offense is not and has not been the issue at Tech since CPJ got here. We have rolled it up on everybody . This year we have the 22nd best scoring offense. It is the few that have no clue about football that continue to harp on this. Our issue is defense and has been for 40 years. CPJs offense was the best defense we ever had, this I want to keep it. Monken or Bohannon.
Hard pill to swallow, but the offense effected the defense. We could not recruit to defense for a couple of reasons. When CPJ first started, I used to laugh when UGAg fans said he wouldn't be able to recruit defensive linemen because they don't want to be cut blocked in practice. True or not, this negative recruiting sell stuck. The only significant DL player recruited in his tenure was Attaochu. Yes, I know- "Academics!". The option exacerbated that. I believe we can build a program that will again be attractive to the Derrick Morgans and Darryl Richards.

Also, the Option, time of possession, shorten the game plan, caused us to go with bend but don't break defenses that required DL and LBs we could not recruit. Goodness knows Groh tried.

I'm NOT slamming CPJ. I'd have been fine if he stayed. But since he's left, I don't want to stay in the same limitations with a Monken or Bohannon. I look forward to change optimistically.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Then he’ll cost 2x as much. What you seem to be advocating for is a low-risk hire.. which also means low-reward (6-7 wins)

That’s cool if that’s how you’d like to play it, but I’m willing to risk a flame-out for the upside of playing for ACC championships.

Take a look at Curry’s early years and BL’s career here. You are willing to sit through that with an unproven guy?

I have already done that. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk