Confirmed Interviews

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If players are the reason his offense was bad, why not get Kittley or Korn who seem to have done more with less?

Have they? I dunno WKU and CCU's talent level relative to their competition. No one with any degree of experience in college football is going to have a perfect resume.

Fwiw, I like Kittley and Korn. Kittley we probably can't get and I dunno if Korn fits what Collins wants to do.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
"Lindsey’s offenses, on the other hand, have been much more pass-heavy, even employing some of the Air Raid philosophies made famous by Washington State head coach Mike Leach when he was at Texas Tech."

Interesting….

The success of The ‘Air Raid’ , or any other offense for that matter, will be largely dependent on the performance of the OL. It would have been extremely difficult to have executed that offense consistently with this past season’s OL.

But let’s try something new and hope for the best! 👍

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Have they? I dunno WKU and CCU's talent level relative to their competition. No one with any degree of experience in college football is going to have a perfect resume.

Fwiw, I like Kittley and Korn. Kittley we probably can't get and I dunno if Korn fits what Collins wants to do.
Unfortunately for GT, I have to agree with you. It seems like Kittley will heavily consider the TTU OC position. However, Korn seems to be the kind of guy whose scheme would fit us. Even with the losses of Gibbs and JPM, we have a very talented RB room. His offense seems to be able to feature multiple backs and use that to open up the passing game. For where our offense is at right now, quick hitting plays like his offense specializes in could work wonders for us.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Interesting….

The success of The ‘Air Raid’ , or any other offense for that matter, will be largely dependent on the performance of the OL. It would have been extremely difficult to have executed that offense consistently with this past season’s OL.

But let’s try something new and hope for the best! 👍
I am not so sure. Apparently after researching the OL mechanics of the Air Raid that is one of the strengths of the Air Raid.... It caters to a weak OL because the scheme and premise is built around wide splits and quick passing routes and even better passing lanes. This scheme puts the defense into a situation where they cannot blitz as effectively. The passes come out quicker and thus the defense cannot get pressure on the QB as quick.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Why would you take a lateral move from Ohio State to GT? Seems highly unlikely and does not make much sense.
Didn't Ted Roof make a lateral move from PSU to GT to be at his alma mater? I think there are always reasons people may leave one job for another.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am not so sure. Apparently after researching the OL mechanics of the Air Raid that is one of the strengths of the Air Raid.... It caters to a weak OL because the scheme and premise is built around wide splits and quick passing routes and even better passing lanes. This scheme puts the defense into a situation where they cannot blitz as effectively. The passes come out quicker and thus the defense cannot get pressure on the QB as quick.

What is requires is a super accurate passer that can read the defense and make the right decision in an instant.

Maybe this guy?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Isn't the "air raid " offense where the QB plays deep takes the direct snap and tries to hit a WR with a quick slant or hook? Lots of misses and third & 4. Boring.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
So who gets to make the decision? The OC, GC or Todd?
It should be the OC. Don’t want to have to train the coach and the players imo.

On an unrelated note, the resume of all three of the rumored replacements at OC are much more accomplished than Patenuade. Makes me sad to think of what kind of seasons we could have had by hiring two good coordinators off the rip vs after underperformance of our unproven guys.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Isn't the "air raid " offense where the QB plays deep takes the direct snap and tries to hit a WR with a quick slant or hook? Lots of misses and third & 4. Boring.
I think the air raid is a lot more sophisticated than that. I think the zone read and read option are simple, or did until I was somewhat educated on the concepts.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What is requires is a super accurate passer that can read the defense and make the right decision in an instant.

Maybe this guy?

Augusta -
My history with the Air Raid - and how it could work here with an accurate passer that has a cannon.

in 93 my sons team - cypress creek high adopted the air raid after running the power I for years. We were imitating the Stephenville team where art brilles was wildly successful at running it. We destroyed folks and turned the defense loose on them = undefeated season..

Son played ol and we did keep tight spacing on the ol because of some weak links and we ran the ball at end of games to get it over with.
Proud dad moment = We played Yates in the first round of playoffs - they had only lost to Dallas Carter (mean red team in the movie "Friday Night Lights"). We were very good because we had good talent that was disciplined by Texas hall of fame coach. They were huge and fast and well coached - 20,000 standing room only. We come out in the power 1 and ran it down there throasts in the first half- score 10_0 at half and should have been more- 2 passes. Second half they come out fired up and we went to air raid empty back field, some single back with qb keeper. Fond memories of the final death march power i drive to thier 5 yard line as time expired.

NEXT year - the back up qb took over - BJ Symons was also a star pitcher - we did great again but it was more of a one man show and a new system. lots of talent to ncaa

The key for the air raid is that the field is wide open because at least 2 routes are going long.
No way to half way show pressure.
Made it simple for the wr to make right routes and for qb to get ball out in a few second.

BJ had wild stats, went on to be QB for Texas Tech under leach where he had all kinds of passing records - Sammy Baugh trophy.

Change
At Texas tech they did open up the gaps on the ol at select times.

Time passed and my other son was at Baylor so we went to those games - Baylor under Kevin Steele and other coaches were "end of 2021 gt season" bad for years - no wins in SWC for 5 years. Baylor played bend but don't break and ran the ball so the clock kept running. NOTHING MAKES YOU LOOK WORSE THAN A BAD OL. During that time Baylor placed several stud ol guys in the pros

My son came back to teach at Baylor when Brilles moved to Baylor from u of h. After RG Griffin blew up the SWC with the Air Raid

CHANGE I NOTED During the early time Brilles went to placing small track guys on the boundary and sending them long on every play. Also the put the taller wr in the slot. Of course RGIII would take off like Sims does and just wear the other team out. With certain defensive fonts there were call run for the back or qb.

PROBLEM
They scored so fast their own bend and don't break defense wore out as well.
SOLUTION
This was later made better by having a more aggressive defense (at strategic times) and by having more called runs. During this time they went to wide gaps all the time.

IMO - The air raid with wide gaps and some FAST WR and a good TALL WR makes it easier for the ol , rb and especially for the QB.
The field opens up and the weak point is easy to see. Of course we need other schemes, We can be a well prepared as the 1993 cypress creek high school...

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It should be the OC. Don’t want to have to train the coach and the players imo.i

On an unrelated note, the resume of all three of the rumored replacements at OC are much more accomplished than Patenuade. Makes me sad to think of what kind of seasons we could have had by hiring two good coordinators off the rip vs after underperformance of our unproven guys.
i may bump this post a few more times.

Its not like it was not obvious at start of year that this oc and dc were not capable of getting us to a place where we can actaully hope to beat UGA, That's on COLLINS. To let it get down to this point where we are scrambling around is a management problem. That's on TSTAN. Oh, we are bottom feeders in the check book department - That's on us.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Its not like it was not obvious at start of year that this oc and dc were not capable of getting us to a place where we can actaully hope to beat UGA, That's on COLLINS. To let it get down to this point where we are scrambling around is a management problem. That's on TSTAN. Oh, we are bottom feeders in the check book department - That's on us.
I do think it is fair to say that he couldn't fire them during covid due to all of the uncertainty, it would have looked really bad to fire these guys because there were very few openings last year. There are a ton of openings this year likely in part because there were very few firings in college football coaching last year. he could have fired them after year 1, I guess, but we had beaten FSU and we maybe were overly optimistic?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Augusta -
My history with the Air Raid - and how it could work here with an accurate passer that has a cannon.

in 93 my sons team - cypress creek high adopted the air raid after running the power I for years. We were imitating the Stephenville team where art brilles was wildly successful at running it. We destroyed folks and turned the defense loose on them = undefeated season..

Son played ol and we did keep tight spacing on the ol because of some weak links and we ran the ball at end of games to get it over with.
Proud dad moment = We played Yates in the first round of playoffs - they had only lost to Dallas Carter (mean red team in the movie "Friday Night Lights"). We were very good because we had good talent that was disciplined by Texas hall of fame coach. They were huge and fast and well coached - 20,000 standing room only. We come out in the power 1 and ran it down there throasts in the first half- score 10_0 at half and should have been more- 2 passes. Second half they come out fired up and we went to air raid empty back field, some single back with qb keeper. Fond memories of the final death march power i drive to thier 5 yard line as time expired.

NEXT year - the back up qb took over - BJ Symons was also a star pitcher - we did great again but it was more of a one man show and a new system. lots of talent to ncaa

The key for the air raid is that the field is wide open because at least 2 routes are going long.
No way to half way show pressure.
Made it simple for the wr to make right routes and for qb to get ball out in a few second.

BJ had wild stats, went on to be QB for Texas Tech under leach where he had all kinds of passing records - Sammy Baugh trophy.

Change
At Texas tech they did open up the gaps on the ol at select times.

Time passed and my other son was at Baylor so we went to those games - Baylor under Kevin Steele and other coaches were "end of 2021 gt season" bad for years - no wins in SWC for 5 years. Baylor played bend but don't break and ran the ball so the clock kept running. NOTHING MAKES YOU LOOK WORSE THAN A BAD OL. During that time Baylor placed several stud ol guys in the pros

My son came back to teach at Baylor when Brilles moved to Baylor from u of h. After RG Griffin blew up the SWC with the Air Raid

CHANGE I NOTED During the early time Brilles went to placing small track guys on the boundary and sending them long on every play. Also the put the taller wr in the slot. Of course RGIII would take off like Sims does and just wear the other team out. With certain defensive fonts there were call run for the back or qb.

PROBLEM
They scored so fast their own bend and don't break defense wore out as well.
SOLUTION
This was later made better by having a more aggressive defense (at strategic times) and by having more called runs. During this time they went to wide gaps all the time.

IMO - The air raid with wide gaps and some FAST WR and a good TALL WR makes it easier for the ol , rb and especially for the QB.
The field opens up and the weak point is easy to see. Of course we need other schemes, We can be a well prepared as the 1993 cypress creek high school...

All that may be true, but it lives and dies with an accurate QB able to make quick reads. It's very similar ti the flexbone 3O that way. When JT or Tevin were running it it was a thing of beauty with the reads. We struggled without such a QB. Air raid is no different that way.