concern over the qb position

snocap1

Georgia Tech Fan
with vad lee justin thomas, and Tim Byerly we should be fine this year, but what about the overall future of the qb position at tech with the fact that Damon Mitchell chose arkansas and there does not seem to be elite dual-threat qb's considering tech this recruiting season? what is the plan?

thanks,

Lenny Land

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh come on man
With a freshman stud and sophomore stud at qb it will be hard to persuade star qb's to come here. It will get a lot easier the next year or two...especially if Vad or Justin perform well and show what a fully operational 3-O offense is capable of.

Body Massage Machine

Georgia Tech Fan
A steady influx of talented dual threat guys every 2 years would work I think. I think there will always be a need for a qb in every class but even if we get someone who is a capable backup every so often that is ok too.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Amen Dressedcheeseside,

I think the downturn over the recent years can be traced directly to not having developed an elite quarterback. I'm not going to get into another Tevin debate, the guy played his heart out for us and I love him for that, but we had a 4 star transfer, Jordan Luellen, and haven't developed any people since Nesbitt. Vad and Justin will be Paul's Johnson legecy, if they don't develop, Johnson will be viewed as coach with a good scheme who could win you games, but couldn't ever get you to a high level with his scheme and recruiting abilities. If either Vad or Justin become great (and I believe they both may turn out that way), people will be talking about how great Johnson is and I believe you could see him become of the great Tech coaches of all time.

Looks like it's going to suck for the spring game tonight...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hope our 2 young guns stay healthy tonight as they may very well be running for their lives the whole time. The OL is thin as it is will be divided into two squads. Lord help us!

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I haven't seen any video from the spring game and it sounded sloppy but from people that were at the game say that Vad and Justin were impressive. Biggest problem seemed like the injuries on the OL affected us tonight. Looking forward to the fall.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I knew our play calling was going to be vanilla for this game, but in all honesty our OL was horrible last night. I keep hearing how this year's OL is the best we have had, but man they didn't show it last night. Yes we are injured but it was brutal, most gains were from broken plays that our QB's made something of. I really hope these guys have a great year, because we have 2 quarterbacks that are VERY good. All ACC types in my opinion.

johncu22

Georgia Tech Fan
snocap1 said:
with vad lee justin thomas, and Tim Byerly we should be fine this year, but what about the overall future of the qb position at tech with the fact that Damon Mitchell chose arkansas and there does not seem to be elite dual-threat qb's considering tech this recruiting season? what is the plan?

thanks,

Lenny Land

Malkom Parrish is really good, and we're recruiting him at QB.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I've talked to Parrish and he doesn't care. He likes both the same he said. But he thought it was neat that GT woild let him play QB.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Could it become a problem that Parrish "doesn't care" whether he plays qb or not? Is it better to have somebody that really wants to play qb and makes it known like JT did?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
ybeenormal said:
Could it become a problem that Parrish "doesn't care" whether he plays qb or not? Is it better to have somebody that really wants to play qb and makes it known like JT did?

I don't see how it would be a problem. If he really doesn't care, then he will definitely end up playing CB. The fact that GT wants him at either position and that it would be up to him can only help us and be good for him. It could be that there's a hint of desire to be the field general inside of him that he doesn't want to admit to people since he's being recruited by most to play CB. If that's the case, it definitely helps us and him that he has that option here.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think Thomas is a lot more natural at QB than Parrish...same at CB just vice versa.

It's not a problem for Parrish...the coaches know he is likely ending up at QB if they can land him. Just like Andrews to A-back. Whatever it takes to land them.