"Committable" Offer article by AJC

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Bit of a coincidence that with all the rumors swirling around today, Carvell posted an article about what CPJ thought of "committable" offers a few days back. Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-...a-techs-paul-johnson-committable-offers-and-/

AJC said:
All Georgia Tech scholarship offers are committable offers.

“I don’t know what a ‘committable’ offer is,” Johnson said. “To me, when you offer a kid a scholarship, you’ve got to let them commit, otherwise you’re not really offering. I just don’t get into playing all the games.”
AJC said:
“It’s like I tell our coaches: When we offer them, you better be willing to take them, because if they tell you they are coming, we are taking them,” Johnson said. “Unless they’ve cleared it by me, yes, they’ve got to call me and tell me they’re committing. I think our guys are smart enough, they don’t offer too many people. They’ve got leeway if they see good players. But I’ve got to see the tape, and I’ve got to talk to the kid. I’m not going to take some kid I’ve never met before and I’ve never seen.

“Yes, I have to sign off on all of them. If the assistant coaches are on the road, go into a school, watch the tape and call the coach to say ‘We’re going to offer (your kid),’ then 99.9% of the time, they’ve cleared it with me already. You wouldn’t be smart as an assistant to offer 50 guys and not clear it with the head coach. Then when they tried to commit, then tell them ‘Just hang on, we’ve got to get you on campus, we want you to meet the head coach.’

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This whole thing is just a misunderstanding between the coaches and the recruit. Either we failed to express our intentions adequately, or the kid is in need of some serious comprehension skill training.