Commits that signed elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Justin Thomas-Alabama
Paul Davis-Temple
I think we've had one or two from Kentucky flip to us.

Damon Mitchell went to Arkansas bc he didn't want to compete with Vad and Justin and thought he could play QB early. Got moved to WR first day of practice lol.
Nick Menocal flipped from Miami to Tech.

Justin Thomas-Alabama
Paul Davis-Temple

Damon Mitchell went to Arkansas bc he didn't want to compete with Vad and Justin and thought he could play QB early. Got moved to WR first day of practice lol.

I'm not sure Justin Thomas is a flip from after Saban told him reasonably early in the recruiting process that he would get a chance to play QB at Bama, once QB was off the table Thomas looked for other schools and found GT.

Nick Menocal flipped from Miami to Tech.

New HC came to Miami and told Menocal he would not be a LB but instead he would play TE, I'm sure that qualifies as a flip when the recruit re-opens his recruitment due to scheme change or coaching change.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Justin Thomas-Alabama
Paul Davis-Temple

Beau Hankins flipped from Kentucky I believe.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Weren't we supposed to flip someone late last year that broke his leg or something before the visit? Darius West, right?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I think that list of players who were once commits will follow what happens with recruiting classes in general: About 30-40%% of them will probably end up being major contributors, the rest will play small roles throughout their careers or will be victim to attrition or injury.

As a fan of recruiting, especially the kids that sign with us, it's easy to look at film and think every single one of our signees will be a major contributor to the program. History will show that usually 30-40% of the kids that sign with a program will ever contribute to a program at an impact level. You look at a program like GT with high academic requirements, and that 30-40% "success" rate is actually quite high because of the kids we lose to academics, on top of injuries, kids transferring out for various reasons, kids getting into trouble, and kids just not developing like we all hoped. Eric has mentioned it several times, but that 2013 class that was small to begin with and became smaller due to various reasons will hurt us down the road...and that's if the guys left pan out.

The reality of recruiting is it's a numbers game. You sign as many kids as you possibly can because the reality is only a small portion of each class will ever contribute at an impact level for the program.
Tech,
It not only is about guys that have "impact" but at what level.To me,it MUCH different that if you are a starter on a 8-4 team as opposed to a 6-6 team.You might be one of the big reasons there is a drop-off.So you are a starter but so what-still a very avg player.We've had a bunch like that the last few yrs.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
And their head coach at the time was offensive coordinator at my high school few years before. Dude was an *******

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
It doesn't represent GT sports very well to criticize a former recruit's Mother.

If recruits are off-limits, shouldn't their parents be off-limits also?
No, there's a difference b/w a 17/18 year old and a full grown adult. Parents should certainly guide and help but ultimately should leave the decision to the kid.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure Justin Thomas is a flip from after Saban told him reasonably early in the recruiting process that he would get a chance to play QB at Bama, once QB was off the table Thomas looked for other schools and found GT.

So JT doesn't count. Makes total sense. What exactly are your criteria for a legit flip?

Status
Not open for further replies.