Comments in an off-week

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
1.JT is a difference maker but of all his skills the most surprising to me is the non-fumbles at under-ctr with a new Ctr,Burden..
2.Where would this team be without Smelter this yr OR last yr?--- just dropped from heaven -
3.Good to see Nealy back in form.That first game was scary.
4.quietly Rodwell is doing a super job.I wonder if he can pass?
5.K freemen will be a great player.Add 20 lbs and exp.Wow.Proud to say I saw this from his tape.my pick then as best FR in class..
6.Funny we haven't mentioned Chamberlain much at all. hmmmm
7.Who wudda thunk? Golden has been a non-factor in return game.
8.I would like to see Harrell replace Marcordes at LB.
9.I read Searcy is to be looked at at DB. when you are 110th in Def ,you try anything.
10.Days back at Aback says a bunch about our "depth" there.
-College football is such a funny game--this team could win 50-20 or lose 20-50 ANY week

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
1.JT is a difference maker but of all his skills the most surprising to me is the non-fumbles at under-ctr with a new Ctr,Burden..
2.Where would this team be without Smelter this yr OR last yr?--- just dropped from heaven -
5.K freemen will be a great player.Add 20 lbs and exp.Wow.Proud to say I saw this from his tape.my pick then as best FR in class..
9.I read Searcy is to be looked at at DB. when you are 110th in Def ,you try anything.
-College football is such a funny game--this team could win 50-20 or lose 20-50 ANY week

7.Who wudda thunk? Golden has been a non-factor in return game

He has had a couple of nice returns...main thing is no turnovers for him...and the blocking has been very poor.

I think it says more about Charles Perkins.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
6. Easy to overlook Chamberlain when Braun is worse.
10. I think Days at AB had more to do with the fact VT was making JT beat them so you might as well throw in your best blocking AB there.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
New special teams coach has been disappointing to me. With his resume I thought we were going to get a big boost from that unit.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
New special teams coach has been disappointing to me. With his resume I thought we were going to get a big boost from that unit.
The blocked field goal was a pretty special special teams play.
Kick offs have been improved.
Punts have been ok as well.

But yes, there is improvement to be made.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we're covering kicks pretty good, just not blocking worth a lick when we're doing the returning. Punts and Kickoffs are excellent. Missed field goals are disappointing, maybe HB is working too much on kickoffs and not enough on field goals?

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Good points. Lack of blocking on returns is what I'm really disappointed in I guess. The delay game on punt team after a tv timeout also rubbed me the wrong way, too.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
6. Easy to overlook Chamberlain when Braun is worse.
10. I think Days at AB had more to do with the fact VT was making JT beat them so you might as well throw in your best blocking AB there.

re-watching the game last night Days blocking was pretty bad in the VT game. He whiffed on several blocks including JT's TD.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good points. Lack of blocking on returns is what I'm really disappointed in I guess. The delay game on punt team after a tv timeout also rubbed me the wrong way, too.

I'll update the ST performance against VT with national rankings tonight. But we have "compensated" for our kick return ability in two ways. For punts we fair catch and rarely return. For KOs, it looked like against VT that we took the TB where we could.

The delay on the punt team was very bad and showed confusion. That type of thing doesn't show up in the stats.

But would you have rather had our ST play overall on Saturday or the world renown BeamerBall special?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
re-watching the game last night Days blocking was pretty bad in the VT game. He whiffed on several blocks including JT's TD.
He's been repping at Bback in practice for the last few weeks, sometimes it's hard to change gears. Blocking in space is all about angles and timing, those things can get thrown off if you don't rep them constantly.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He's been repping at Bback in practice for the last few weeks, sometimes it's hard to change gears. Blocking in space is all about angles and timing, those things can get thrown off if you don't rep them constantly.

Would you say though that it'd impact more in terms of knowing who to block? I could be dead wrong but I can't see lack of reps causing him to totally miss guys like he did on that TD run. To my admittedly untrained eye, it appeared to be a bad attempt.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Would you say though that it'd impact more in terms of knowing who to block? I could be dead wrong but I can't see lack of reps causing him to totally miss guys like he did on that TD run. To my admittedly untrained eye, it appeared to be a bad attempt.
Sure, especially with the way VT was stunting. Assignments were changing on the fly left and right.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
I kind of agree with you. I hate putting down any coach or player but I think Golden is still mentally recovering. He is not running as hard as he was prior to the injury. He will get better as the season progresses. The special teams coach is looking for the correct combination in players. In his defense, the lack of depth has caused the coaches to be a little hesitant about putting players that are starters on special teams. They feel that their chances of being injured . Lets take DJ White for an example, he was once #2 on KO return; That didn't last long but I completely understand. Some decisions I have ???? About: Griffin had your longest runs last year but is not being used (his suspension hurt him), Andrews has not gotten an opportunity but is a bullet and Zenon is a weapon. Again its kind of early so let's give it a few more games and see if there are any improvements.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I know Days made one critical block on a pass play where he is looking back at Thomas and forcing his guy into an angle to open the passing lane to a WR. Thomas was rolling to his right and ended up throwing the ball past Days head/back to get to the WR. Considering the low number of completions in the game I am sure it was a much needed reception. I may have to watch the game for a 3rd time to figure out exactly when that happened.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
On Days blocking... Days made several great blocks and missed 1 or 2. I would say the level of competition plays a large role, as well as, first game of the year for Days at A Back. I hate to see the one or two bad plays negate the good work of many plays.

guys will make plays and you have to give them credit but he missed more than 1 or 2. I'm not even sure how many snaps SD played Saturday and I'm thinking most of them were at AB because Laskey seemed to play all but a series at BB. Days has played AB for the last 2 years IIRC. He whiffed on several and got Laskey crushed on a pitch early in the game. I believe it was the play that the VT defender stayed on the ground when he collided with Laskey. We were lucky that missed block didn't result in a fumble. Not knocking the guy at all but the perception that he is a great blocker is maybe just that.........perception.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK... finished the replay on Days.

Days has three big misses:
  • Missed block for Laskey. This was a very hard block on a CB coming fast up field. Play did not count due to OL holding call
  • Missed badly once on pass protection as BB, but the play is good anyways.
  • Miss on a lead block for JT's jumping TD. Play was good anyways, but Days' man could have stopped it.
Days Good Plays:
  • His rocket toss made 5 yards and a 1st down
  • He had several good pass protection plays
  • Days had several great blocks to spring plays including taking 2.5 guys out at one time as a B Back, as a B back taking out a blitzing CB, and crushing the MLB on a play as an A Back
  • He pushes a guy out of Laskey's way so that Laskey can make the 1st down
Days is one of the better blockers and is the very reason CPJ brought him back while Perkins was out. I think it may go Perkins, Days, Zenon, Hill, Bostic on blocking for play this year.

I think in general the misses stand out the most as if you block all attention is on the runner.

This did not effect the play but I think this might have rattle the guy: