Combine?

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
I see the official combine invite list on ajc.com. Is there anyone we were really hopeful to be invited that didn't make it?

Arkfbplayer52

Georgia Tech Fan
The combine isn't the place for Godhigh to go if he's trying to make the NFL. Measurables are what he's trying to fight against, not show off.

Umm....Darren Sproles and Trindon Holliday got invited to the combine..lol

It helps participating in that more than anything, only every NFL team, scout, and management member is there.

He will still get a shot as an UDFA I think.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Umm....Darren Sproles and Trindon Holliday got invited to the combine..lol

It helps participating in that more than anything, only every NFL team, scout, and management member is there.

He will still get a shot as an UDFA I think.

Are you seriously comparing Trindon Holliday to RG? Holliday has borderline Olympic speed. Sproles ran a 4.31 at the Combine. Enough said. I hope RG makes it too, but you have to be kidding to compare him to those two measurable-wise.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think RG would compare quite favorably speed-wise, in relation to the other RBs, so long as the race was 20 yards instead of 40. Certainly there is a value in stretching the field, however, the vast majority of the game is played in spurts that are shorter than 20 yards. My guess is that the measureables department would go very well for RG in the cone drill and weight lifting part, enough so to open people's eyes. That top end speed will be a downer though. In broad jump and vertical jump, my sense is that he would be about average.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Yeah, comparing Robbie to a guy who runs a sub 10sec 100m in Holliday is not a good idea. I expect Robbie numbers to look very similar to Jacquizz Rodgers
image.jpg

Arkfbplayer52

Georgia Tech Fan
Are you seriously comparing Trindon Holliday to RG? Holliday has borderline Olympic speed. Sproles ran a 4.31 at the Combine. Enough said. I hope RG makes it too, but you have to be kidding to compare him to those two measurable-wise.

My point is you could argue if those undersized guys were invited to the combine that Robbie should have been because he was just as productive on the football field.

You are acting as if "Olympic Speed" is a prerequisite to getting invited into the combine over anything else...lol. It's not because Holliday was nothing special at LSU.

I could care less about the speed. I'm talking about production.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are lots of very productive players in the NFL right now on offense that are no faster than RG. One of my favorites to point to is Anquan Bolden. Remember him? He played at FSU a while ago at WR. He has never been that fast, but the dude can play. RG's lack of top end speed certainly lowers his value in the market place. There is no denying that. The question is, will his other traits be impressive enough to give him a shot? Then, after getting his shot, will he be able to contribute and make a roster? My gut feeling is that RG will get a spot in camp somewhere. Most likely he will be given nothing and will have to earn it the hard way just like he did at the college level. I ain't quitting on RG just yet.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Robbie is a playmaker plain and simple. Put him on any field and he will make things happen

I applaud Robbie for coming to GT as a walkon and putting it out there for four years but I'm afraid his playmaking days are behind him as far as the NFL is concerned.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
My point is you could argue if those undersized guys were invited to the combine that Robbie should have been because he was just as productive on the football field.

You are acting as if "Olympic Speed" is a prerequisite to getting invited into the combine over anything else...lol. It's not because Holliday was nothing special at LSU.

I could care less about the speed. I'm talking about production.

If only "production on the field" is what got you to the Combine then I would argue for Godhigh to get an invite. However, it's not, although Sproles finished 5th in the Heisman so he was more productive than Godhigh in college (not talking about speed here). As for Holliday, I do think that a guy who gets a lot of playing time and makes big plays at a national champion LSU and is considered the fastest guy to ever play college football, should get an invite over Godhigh. If purely production got you to the Combine, then guys like Dion Jordan (who had 14.5 sacks over a 4 year college career) wouldn't go 3rd overall last year. The Combine is meant for the guys they think have the highest chance of being a quality NFL player, not about the best college stats.

Either way, the Combine Selection Committee got it right by inviting Sproles and Holliday because they are both quality NFL players. If Godhigh turns out to be a quality NFL player, then the Selection Committee will be wrong, and I will happily be wrong.

Arkfbplayer52

Georgia Tech Fan
If only "production on the field" is what got you to the Combine then I would argue for Godhigh to get an invite. However, it's not, although Sproles finished 5th in the Heisman so he was more productive than Godhigh in college (not talking about speed here). As for Holliday, I do think that a guy who gets a lot of playing time and makes big plays at a national champion LSU and is considered the fastest guy to ever play college football, should get an invite over Godhigh. If purely production got you to the Combine, then guys like Dion Jordan (who had 14.5 sacks over a 4 year college career) wouldn't go 3rd overall last year. The Combine is meant for the guys they think have the highest chance of being a quality NFL player, not about the best college stats.

Either way, the Combine Selection Committee got it right by inviting Sproles and Holliday because they are both quality NFL players. If Godhigh turns out to be a quality NFL player, then the Selection Committee will be wrong, and I will happily be wrong.

They've been wrong plenty of times, guys slip through the combine cracks all the time and end up productive NFL players.

All the time

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
The young man has cetainly been fun to watch but I am afraid he may fall short of all needed tools. Players of his size generally have supernatural qualities in other areas.
You do see 4.6 people in the backfield but they are not 5feet 6inches. Guys that are that size in the NFL are often 4.25 - 4.35 with 40 inch verticals. One thing we can agree on is he has gotten every ounce out of his talent and my favorite measure is the size of his heart.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Robbie is a playmaker plain and simple. Put him on any field and he will make things happen
Remember 2 years ago against UGA? Robbie went airborne twice against 2 NFL players (Jarvis Jones and Ogletree). Not sure he's making plays on every level. Small and slow is a horrible combo.