Combine Invite

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was looking at Butker's stats. some interesting things popped out at me:

1. Butker never attempted a field goal from less than 19 yards in his career. Even when the offense stalls on the 3 yard line on third down, the kicking game isn't in play.

2. Why do stats list a 1-19 category? Technically, you can't kick a field goal less than 10 yards. Shouldn't this be a 10-19 category?

3. The fact that I am pondering point 2 is proof that the offseason is already too long...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
On point 2, isn't the minimum 17 yards? Ball just at the goal line, 10 yards for end zone and 7 for LOS to kick location. I guess you could kick from under center ;););)
I think, but I'm not sure, that the technical answer is that the shortest field goal would be 18 yards. Since (last I heard anyway) stats are kept to a yard line and not half yards or so (3rd and inches is still 3rd and one) then the ball would be considered at the one-yard line, then 10 yards of the end zone, and then a standard seven yards deep kicker.

And yes. the season needs to get here in a hurry.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You know what? I already lost my bet, which was that 50 years from now in the first paragraph of Butker's obit, it would have made note of the man who made two career kicks against the U of Georgia back in the day, and a moment of silence would have been observed at thousands of breakfast tables across the country. His own school can't remember it. Rub it in. Else what good is it?

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How Harrison Butker aced the NFL draft combine

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...the-nfl-draft-combine/Ci1yqSqxwizl16BwpQeg8N/

Last Thursday, Butker hit cannon shots on his kickoffs and made 14 of 15 field-goal attempts on kicks between 30 and 50 yards, doing so with a snapper and holder that he’d never worked with prior to the session.

“I think I definitely raised my draft stock,” Butker said.
You could fool me. I thought a football was a football was a football. it is like learning major league baseballs are wound tighter around a more core with more carom than the minor leagues.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Other than an apparent strong performance in his combine, I am most impressed that he even got invited. One of four I think the story. Surprised because, due to the nature of Johnson and his offense -- 3rd or 4th and forever does not necessarily call for a FG, so his career was not filled with 2-3 a game maybe -- and so he was not that highly thought of among the "experts" that dot the ESPN expert landscape. (I think if you took all the sports analysts and all the political analysts and put them on the same massive panel, but had them switch roles, sports = politics and politics = sports, you would get the same results and the same opinions.) What it said was that the NFL was looking even when the experts were not. So it looks like he has a shot.