Collins says players have 'chip on their shoulder'

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice.... We moved here in 2020 - don't see a lot of GT people out here. Should grab lunch one day !
Sure thing! Been here about 6 years and it definitely takes some getting used to hearing people refer to "Tech" and it being Texas Tech. And people STILL think option football when I tell them I went to GT. Goes to show how little attention outsiders give acc football beyond Clemson

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Sure thing! Been here about 6 years and it definitely takes some getting used to hearing people refer to "Tech" and it being Texas Tech. And people STILL think option football when I tell them I went to GT. Goes to show how little attention outsiders give acc football beyond Clemson
Yep. ACC football ain’t a thing out here at all. I’m not sure they know it exists

JacketFan137

Banned
people think calvin johnson played in the option too lol people act shocked when i say it started after him

JacketFan137

Banned
I don’t think anyone thinks that actually
in a recent reddit thread about common misconceptions about your team one of the top comments is about calvin johnson not playing in the option and a lot of people pretty much agreed and said they had no idea. it’s a very common belief of non tech fans

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
patenaude ran a system that was so simple it was to our detriment. our passing concepts looked like they were called from an ihop menu not a playbook.

people on here roast sims all the time when we were getting considerably worse qb play from everyone on the roster in 2019. im not sure what qb you saw on that roster that was winning 6 or 7 games running the offense you described. maybe if you wanted to continue to stretch the truth you could argue whisenhunt brings in a good transfer but i’m not sure that is realistic either.

i also have no idea why whisenhunt is really someone you want to be defending. that guy has been mediocre at best literally everywhere he has gone. at no point has anyone been excited to hear a whisenhunt hiring announcement. his only experience in college was in 1995 at vandy so i would imagine the complete lack of recruiting experience was the difference between him and collins.

collins has been a bad hire but it makes a lot of sense why he was hired over whisenhunt and acting like he was so much better is crazy hindsight

Which is why i predicted any success he had but running a power run live and die by the run prostyle offense would taper off and he'd leave with a 3-9 team next year. I'm not saying he was a godsend but those first tow years very well could have been a lot better. Also being an NFL coach with ties to tech who knows who he'd have got to coach with him. Imagine if Godsey had come in as an OC after houston did him like they did? Maybe you still get Tashard Choice if you still get tashard choice do you still get gibbs? If we are running am more singleback feature back type offense? Who knows.

As for a QB Johnson easily could have been a QB in that system. Graham had a cannon for an arm he just couldn't read the middle. Using play action to freeze backers generates a bit better look for a QB and helps your O line out it also sets up delay draw plays etc.

Right now we have 9 wins in 3 years. Its hard to imagine it worse. Collins losses fall in the realm that random chance based on historic performance would have us more than 3 wins a year.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
patenaude ran a system that was so simple it was to our detriment. our passing concepts looked like they were called from an ihop menu not a playbook.

people on here roast sims all the time when we were getting considerably worse qb play from everyone on the roster in 2019. im not sure what qb you saw on that roster that was winning 6 or 7 games running the offense you described. maybe if you wanted to continue to stretch the truth you could argue whisenhunt brings in a good transfer but i’m not sure that is realistic either.

i also have no idea why whisenhunt is really someone you want to be defending. that guy has been mediocre at best literally everywhere he has gone. at no point has anyone been excited to hear a whisenhunt hiring announcement. his only experience in college was in 1995 at vandy so i would imagine the complete lack of recruiting experience was the difference between him and collins.

collins has been a bad hire but it makes a lot of sense why he was hired over whisenhunt and acting like he was so much better is crazy hindsight
The ihop menu has more variety than P nuts plays

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The ihop menu has more variety than P nuts plays

This is the part that's actually not entirely right. The RPO systems beauty is that its all pre and post snap reads with options built in frontside. And passing tree that should in theory have someone open on most plays paired usually with an air raid. The issue with patenaude's offense was it had a lot of things... but nothing to hang its hat on because the main constraint play (the rpo slant outside zone concept) we couldn't run.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Well yeah, but have you looked at an IHOP menu lately 😀
I drove by the local ihop today around noon and was astounded to see the parking lot full. Who is eating that at noon on a monday, especially with a waffle house right next door and numerous other restauraunts within a stone's throw?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Voting with the wallet only makes sense when the effect of not funding the endeavor brings an acceptable end.

If you’re boycotting a company because you’re opposed to how they run and don’t care if they go out of business, have at it.

If you’re withholding badly needed funds from an organization you want to succeed you’re just further damaging the thing you want to salvage.

That’s why I don’t get the approach.
👏👏👏👏

Amen

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree in spirit, but to be clear for anyone not staying so close to things, the number of undergrad international students at GT is only about 10% or slightly under. But a lot of undergrads are from Asian families, technically Asian American kids, not international. But yes, many grew up in families where football wasn’t followed or important.
Grad school is different, iirc closer to 40-50% international.
Regardless of family origins, based on conversations with GT students (and friends of my kids), sports is just not the big priority for many or most top students. Anyone going to GT could have gone to bama, Clemson,Uga, (often honors college) if football was so important.
I’ve often wondered who the next gen donors will be to float our AA once the boomers die off.
To answer the last part - there isn’t a next generation. I’m telling you straight up, I raised my kids as God fearing GT fans. They don’t wear red and my son who is the typical nerdy quiet type talks more trash about UGA than I do and y’all know I never shut up! UGA was NEVER a consideration even though every mutt breathing teacher and counselor were pushing him that way. It was awesome to watch him stand firm. He even roasted his peers a little during his graduation speech. He was astonished and a little upset when he quickly realized that his freshmen peers last year could care less. One game he left early because he was so disgusted and when he got back to his dorm there was a group of students in the TV room so he stopped in to commiserate and watch the end of the game. And of course, they were watching soccer. It is what it is. Enjoy it while it lasts because this model GT has been following won’t last.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Why do our own fans and alum buy this narrative that GT is broke and it’s our fans fault for everything? GT has billions and is a economic machine yet our own fans buy this naive argument that GT is broke. Maybe it’s time we are real with each other - GT doesn’t care to be better and will use every excuse under the sun not to invest anything into athletics. These are the same topics and narratives we’ve had for 30plus years. As an alum I’m tired of GT’s ineptitude and then being blamed for it by the yes men around here. You know the old saying - where there’s a will there’s a way. GT has no will and is run by people out to get theirs.

GT can become a powerhouse overnight once those in charge of the money decide they want to be good at athletics and use our billions to come into the modern age. But they don’t wan to so they hide behind their desks while the fans turn on each other talking about chump change.

Now, I’m sure I’ll be told I’m crazy and that GT can’t use any money for the largest facilities on campus and for the most media covered programs at GT. Use any web browser and search news about Georgia Tech and tell me that 90% of the responses aren’t about athletics. I just did a Google search and of the top 20 news stories about GT the only one not about sports was about an employee leaving GT for Rice. The other 19 were all about athletics.
Academic funds are not necessarily available for the athletic department. However, student fees can be up to a given dollar amount. I believe that is already happening to help subsidize the GTAA.
The research dollar funds that come from say Ford, some biotech company, etc. are not allowed to go to directly support athletics. However, if the fund a scholarship for a bright athlete, maybe that would free up a few bucks for the GTAA. Also, as has been stated elsewhere the Hill's biggest support to GTAA is via in-state tuition waivers for athletes that are out of state, if I recall correctly.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
This is the part that's actually not entirely right. The RPO systems beauty is that its all pre and post snap reads with options built in frontside. And passing tree that should in theory have someone open on most plays paired usually with an air raid. The issue with patenaude's offense was it had a lot of things... but nothing to hang its hat on because the main constraint play (the rpo slant outside zone concept) we couldn't run.
This seems to fly in the face of the commonly accepted theory that our previous OL wasn’t built to run his offense. The guys we had were more ideally suited to run outside RPO concepts. I can’t figure out what the man was trying to run but I’m guessing he was after a PRO not an RPO. Based on the plays actually run, I would hazard a guess the data would reveal more inside than outside when he did run a RPO/PRO. The last time I sifted thru replays to count plays it was about 20% of the time.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
This seems to fly in the face of the commonly accepted theory that our previous OL wasn’t built to run his offense. The guys we had were more ideally suited to run outside RPO concepts. I can’t figure out what the man was trying to run but I’m guessing he was after a PRO not an RPO. Based on the plays actually run, I would hazard a guess the data would reveal more inside than outside when he did run a RPO/PRO. The last time I sifted thru replays to count plays it was about 20% of the time.

The theory about the OL was just silly. We were sized up in one offseason. Raw techniques in some places but we should have been able to run the RPO. Something else was wrong there but yeah we definitely ran more inside zone than we did outside.

JacketFan137

Banned
i also think he was terribly predictable and didn’t operate within the confines of the ability of the team. i think if i had to watch us effectively march down the field in the gun only to get under center on short yardage one more time i was gonna blow my brains out. getting under center is not effective but he continued to do that every time even though we did not have the personnel to do that

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
i also think he was terribly predictable and didn’t operate within the confines of the ability of the team. i think if i had to watch us effectively march down the field in the gun only to get under center on short yardage one more time i was gonna blow my brains out. getting under center is not effective but he continued to do that every time even though we did not have the personnel to do that

What was weird was he would go undercenter.... then run something slow developing or some weird gadget. It woudl have been different if it was get under center then run a toss sweep or somehting.