Collins says players have 'chip on their shoulder'

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
Voting with the wallet only makes sense when the effect of not funding the endeavor brings an acceptable end.

If you’re boycotting a company because you’re opposed to how they run and don’t care if they go out of business, have at it.

If you’re withholding badly needed funds from an organization you want to succeed you’re just further damaging the thing you want to salvage.

That’s why I don’t get the approach.
Sounds like we need a "Make Tech Great Again" fundraising campaign.

Disclaimer: This is a joke for those ready to take up the political pitchforks.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
the problem is without the crazy amount of money to offer and the task we were giving them we weren’t gonna draw any interest from any top coaches. again, collins is getting paid like a vanderbilt coach. the contract is long (any coach would have gotten that cause they knew the rebuild would be difficult), but his yearly pay is not competitive in major p5 like sec and big 10.

meanwhile look at the hires across the conference recently like cristobal, mack brown, etc that are big names. we weren’t gonna get a guy like that when you are giving him a roster with 20 RBs on scholarship and an o line under 290 lbs. our admins suck but i think their hands were tied. whisenhunt and collins were the only names that were very interested and i don’t think anyone can make a compelling argument that life would be different right now with whisenhunt. maybe we win 4/5 games instead but it would be similar just no waffle house and skinny jeans

20RBs is a not accurate. A lot of the A-backs would be slot and were slot receivers.

As for wisenhunt. Im pretty sure Ken would have ran a power run prostyle scheme that still used a lot of the same man on blocking out of the I or singleback stuff. With a play action vertical passing scheme. We just wouldn't have ran option plays. Who knows what might have happened. I think in his case he'd have had probably a 6 win first year. Maybe a 7 win covid year. But I think then we'd start trending down until ken retired after us going 3-9 in 2023.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. But, again, it’s a GT self induced problem. Our attendance problem is twofold - 1) we stink, 2) we are an international school hence lack of student and now modern alum don’t care because other than a few fleeting years in their youth they have zero ties to GT or Atlanta.

My kid is a student at GT and he told how last fall half his freshmen dorm didn’t go to the games across the street because they simply are not into our American sports. It would be like him going to school in Delhi and then not caring about the cricket matches. If we start winning of course fans are going to come back a little but as the old alums die off there are very few alum football fans taking their place. And GT is fine with that. And now with what we saw last year even diehards like me won’t be going to as many games. I was pumped about our schedule a few years back for this year. But now, do I really want to drive to Orlando to watch us get mauled? Do I really want to make the short drive to Tally? I probably will because I’m a fanatic but I can find no fault with my fellow GT alum who choose not to. And I sure won’t belittle them when GT itself doesn’t care enough to show up properly.

UGA is what happens when the school, alum, and fans all actually care about the product. GT athletics have been and will continue to spiral downward without institutional changes which aren’t happening under this admin.
Such a harsh, but yet true, post. I cannot emphasize your statements in bold anymore than you have. Since football revenue affects all sports, I believe if this continues to decline, which I cannot see a way where it will not, those others will be affected.

JacketFan137

Banned
20RBs is a not accurate. A lot of the A-backs would be slot and were slot receivers.

As for wisenhunt. Im pretty sure Ken would have ran a power run prostyle scheme that still used a lot of the same man on blocking out of the I or singleback stuff. With a play action vertical passing scheme. We just wouldn't have ran option plays. Who knows what might have happened. I think in his case he'd have had probably a 6 win first year. Maybe a 7 win covid year. But I think then we'd start trending down until ken retired after us going 3-9 in 2023.
yeah i’m not buying this. 20 was hyperbole but i think the number was around 11-14. we also didn’t have a real qb on the roster and none of those guys who all eventually transferred ended up in p5 schools. johnson was the only one who went somewhere and was successful but it was at a lower level. james graham and tobias oliver are playing different positions at this point.

maybe we would have been better year 2 but i don’t see how anyone wins 6 with that roster

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
bruh
As for wisenhunt. ..... he'd have had probably a 6 win first year. Maybe a 7 win covid year.
Sad Sporting Kc GIF by Major League Soccer

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like we need a "Make Tech Great Again" fundraising campaign.

Disclaimer: This is a joke for those ready to take up the political pitchforks.
AI 2020 had a goal of raising 125 million, and it raised 175 million. Our fans aren't as bad or as cheap as people are making them out to be. We are however practical. The goals in AI 2020 were well defined. It wasn't hard to see the value in it. Asking people to blindly give money to the athletic department for general use when they haven't shown competence in running successful revenue programs is a harder sell.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
yeah i’m not buying this. 20 was hyperbole but i think the number was around 11-14. we also didn’t have a real qb on the roster and none of those guys who all eventually transferred ended up in p5 schools. johnson was the only one who went somewhere and was successful but it was at a lower level. james graham and tobias oliver are playing different positions at this point.

maybe we would have been better year 2 but i don’t see how anyone wins 6 with that roster
I don't know how anyone only won 3...

JacketFan137

Banned
yeah that’s bad. at the end of the day though 3/4/5 wins is ultimately the same and you’re watching from the couch december-january with the rest of the teams that won less than 6. i don’t think any coach was going bowling with that squad while being asked to transition in year 1 is the point i was trying to make.

the following years were unacceptable but year 1 acting like we should have been winning 6 or 7 games is just being a hindsight henry and piling on after the fact to support agendas

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
atlanta sports fans in general have been terrible and fair weather for as long as i can remember. hawks games cost like $10 til the playoffs or they’re playing lebron/the warriors/whoever. falcons games you could just about sit field level in some games over the past 4 years because the stadium was so empty. i have been to empty braves games at turner field and suntrust/trust. when the falcons had the super bowl run, the hawks are in the playoffs and this year following a world series with a competitive team people go to games but this is not a loyal sports town at all. tech has never had good attendance and we couldn’t even sell out a season in 2009 or 2014 and those are our only two major nationally relevant teams in the last 20 years. i think we sold out games at the end but tech fans are too fair weather and would rather wait and see us be good than support the come up. meanwhile clemson and uga having a down season is still selling out every game.

collins sucks and is gone probably this season or next, but the attendance problem is seriously like 10% collins fault. we’ve pretty much been a steady decline since 2014 so it’s not like we went from
full stadiums to empty over night
I have never suggested Collins is the reason for our attendance decline. We all know why our attendance has declined over the years. GT does not care about their fanbase. To say the few GT fans that remain GT fans are “fair weather” is just a bad take. The few of us who actually remain should be lauded not ostracized. The fan base is a function of what the school compels. GT is reaping decades of their policies of becoming an international school and training students who leave this country and this state to go elsewhere and never return. So for every kid GT rejects from Thomasville/Albany/Macon while giving that seat to a kid from Ohio or Bangladesh you are creating what we now see in our fanbase. We all have friends who went to GT from a state like Ohio who were Buckeye fans prior to their attendance and Buckeye fans after their attendance. They are good people and root for GT as their secondary team but 4 years isn’t gonna change a lifetime of upbringing. That’s why when I see 3rd generation smart kids who get deferred at GT I want to lose my mind because for a lot of families who count on Hope/Zell the alternative is that other school who just gained an entire family of fans for the next 70 years.

And it still goes back to my point that GT is not a poor school. If GT wanted to actually compete there is enough money to do it all. GT is just run by people who do not care and are only looking out for themselves and thus do not want to solve the athletics problem. I can promise you that if our Engineering department fell 50 spots in the rankings that something would be done about it.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Just havign an offensive identity at all wins atleast 2 more games in year one. We probably don't lose to ****ing citadel because wisenhunt would not have "we got it by running our own offense" against that offense on defensive preparation.

In the covid year with limited prep a simpler system works better that plays to our strengths. Mason getting 3-4 yards a carry probably beats NIU and picks up wins against a few others. It isn't that far fetched.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
3 wins sucks but it also makes a lot of sense. Not losing to citadel, but the win total for the year should've been within reasonable expectations for the year.

If you're thinking a better coach would've walked into 2019 and coached his way to 6-7 wins I think you're looking at that team with some blurry gold-colored glasses.

I think if CPJ himself returned for 2019 he would struggle to get to 6 wins. Forget about any other coach running a different system. Let alone whisenhunt.

2019 GT roster was returning some of the least production in P5 football. And that was from a 7 win team the year prior that needed a heckuva run at the end to get to 7 wins after some humbling losses to USF, Pitt, and Duke.

And highland village huh? Hello from Southlake

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Just havign an offensive identity at all wins atleast 2 more games in year one. We probably don't lose to ****ing citadel because wisenhunt would not have "we got it by running our own offense" against that offense on defensive preparation.

In the covid year with limited prep a simpler system works better that plays to our strengths. Mason getting 3-4 yards a carry probably beats NIU and picks up wins against a few others. It isn't that far fetched.
Couldn't disagree more. See my response above. And NIU wasnt covid year. That was last year

JacketFan137

Banned

patenaude ran a system that was so simple it was to our detriment. our passing concepts looked like they were called from an ihop menu not a playbook.

people on here roast sims all the time when we were getting considerably worse qb play from everyone on the roster in 2019. im not sure what qb you saw on that roster that was winning 6 or 7 games running the offense you described. maybe if you wanted to continue to stretch the truth you could argue whisenhunt brings in a good transfer but i’m not sure that is realistic either.

i also have no idea why whisenhunt is really someone you want to be defending. that guy has been mediocre at best literally everywhere he has gone. at no point has anyone been excited to hear a whisenhunt hiring announcement. his only experience in college was in 1995 at vandy so i would imagine the complete lack of recruiting experience was the difference between him and collins.

collins has been a bad hire but it makes a lot of sense why he was hired over whisenhunt and acting like he was so much better is crazy hindsight

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed. But, again, it’s a GT self induced problem. Our attendance problem is twofold - 1) we stink, 2) we are an international school hence lack of student and now modern alum don’t care because other than a few fleeting years in their youth they have zero ties to GT or Atlanta.

My kid is a student at GT and he told how last fall half his freshmen dorm didn’t go to the games across the street because they simply are not into our American sports. It would be like him going to school in Delhi and then not caring about the cricket matches.
Agree in spirit, but to be clear for anyone not staying so close to things, the number of undergrad international students at GT is only about 10% or slightly under. But a lot of undergrads are from Asian families, technically Asian American kids, not international. But yes, many grew up in families where football wasn’t followed or important.
Grad school is different, iirc closer to 40-50% international.
Regardless of family origins, based on conversations with GT students (and friends of my kids), sports is just not the big priority for many or most top students. Anyone going to GT could have gone to bama, Clemson,Uga, (often honors college) if football was so important.
I’ve often wondered who the next gen donors will be to float our AA once the boomers die off.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
3 wins sucks but it also makes a lot of sense. Not losing to citadel, but the win total for the year should've been within reasonable expectations for the year.

If you're thinking a better coach would've walked into 2019 and coached his way to 6-7 wins I think you're looking at that team with some blurry gold-colored glasses.

I think if CPJ himself returned for 2019 he would struggle to get to 6 wins. Forget about any other coach running a different system. Let alone whisenhunt.

2019 GT roster was returning some of the least production in P5 football. And that was from a 7 win team the year prior that needed a heckuva run at the end to get to 7 wins after some humbling losses to USF, Pitt, and Duke.

And highland village huh? Hello from Southlake
Nice.... We moved here in 2020 - don't see a lot of GT people out here. Should grab lunch one day !

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We would need a coach like Spurrier who was 5-6, then 7-4-1, and 8-4 when he came to coach Duke. He was OC there (I think under Red Wilson) and demonstrated his coaching ability. They said when he first took the Duke HC job he first met with the team, looked around the room, and said " I can win with you guys". Those kind of guys are hard to find and even harder to keep, but that's what we need.

JacketFan137

Banned
We would need a coach like Spurrier who was 5-6, then 7-4-1, and 8-4 when he came to coach Duke. He was OC there (I think under Red Wilson) and demonstrated his coaching ability. They said when he first took the Duke HC job he first met with the team, looked around the room, and said " I can win with you guys". Those kind of guys are hard to find and even harder to keep, but that's what we need.
yeah unfortunately though he’s one of the greatest coaches ever and making hires like that is something every program save a handful is dreaming of. if it were that easy there would be a lot more parity in this sport.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Lik
yeah unfortunately though he’s one of the greatest coaches ever and making hires like that is something every program save a handful is dreaming of. if it were that easy there would be a lot more parity in this sport.
Like I said they are hard to keep. He even left Florida where he had played.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
To say that a good coach couldn't have won 6 games in 2019 is a stretch. We could have won 6 just by beating Citadel, Duke, and Temple. Not exactly an enormous mountain to climb. It's pretty irrelevant at this point though.