Collins report card after 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wins & losses are what counts
I am afraid that in this business, it is ultimately what a coach is graded upon and paid to do. It is a cutthroat racket with very little separating the majority of these teams with the exception of the top dozen or so factories and the worst 20 or so bottom feeders. Everyone else is in a dog fight. Which, of course, makes it all the more interesting and fun for players and fans. Just not so much for coaches.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That’s an interesting statement I had not heard before. I had heard that fundraisers were on board with CGC.
There are the megadonors who are fine. But there is another layer that is less happy. My way or the highway only works if you’re Nick Saban.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
100%. No doubt at all.

cthenrys, you have just settled this question once and for all. Thank you because we now won't have to keep batting the old "could Saban or Swinney done better with this roster" debate around for Collins tenure here on the Flats. To the rest of you, move along please. The question has been answered without equivocation.

Just curious, what is your take on the Joe Hamilton vs. Shawn Jones "best QB" question? That is another lingering one that needs to be be put to bed too.

Captn_65

GT Athlete
“He could take yourn and beat his’n, or take his’n and beat yourn”.
Bum Phillips quote.
Slight correction.....That saying was Frank Howard....... (Clemson head coach....That rock you see every Clemson player touch as they make their game entrance and run down the hill is known as Howard's rock)..... speaking about Bear Bryant.......BTW....There was no air conditioning in the 1950's and to circulate the air all windows were opened and the rock was used as a door stop to keep Howard"s office door open and aid with the cooling..... Now you know......You're welcome.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
C-/D+

I think he really wants to be here, which is half the battle at GT. Unfortunately, it has been a train wreck so far. I think there are things he could have done to make the product on the field somewhat more competitive, like using our strengths in running the ball last year more, using more clock in the Clemson game this year (I don't care about getting more reps in a hurry up offense when we're going 3 and out against the top team in the country), game management screw ups like in The Citadel game, etc.

His recruiting and marketing are likely an A. I get tired of the "greatest transformation in the history of the world" and "everything we do is at an elite level" stuff, but clearly is good at communicating with the 15-22 aged kids.

The coaching and game management has been an F to me. I get the lack of talent, but we do not play to our strengths. I get limited spring practice and fall camp and that fact that we've had a lot of injuries and opt outs. I'm trying to be understanding. But we've had some colossal losses the last two years, generally looking totally unprepared, lack any form of discipline and I just don't think our strategies are very good.

I was in school in '90 for the national title. I know that good recruiting and great coaching can make it happen here. I think he has the good/great recruiting part, but we are severely lacking in coaching. I appreciate the fact that Geoff wants to be here. His whole spiel sort of grates on me, but if it gets recruits, great.

I think he is currently in over his head and in grave danger of losing a large portion of the fan base very quickly. People are finding that they can live without a lot of things they didn't think the could in past, like college football. If the product is going to be this bad, it is going to be tough to draw fans and raise money, which we desperately need. I was told last year by people on this board that "he's not talking to you" and "he doesn't care what you think." I'll say again what I said last year, I write checks and buy tickets, so he better care what I think. I keep getting emails and calls from my AT rep asking for donations and I just can't pull the trigger right now due to various reasons, but one is the dismal product on the field.

He should think long and hard about making some changes to his coaching staff, maybe bringing in an older coach to help him with general preparations, game planning, game management, etc. Maybe even get with Fridge or O'Leary to help figure out how to run a program and do game planning like Dodd did with Curry when he first got here and was clearly in over his head. He's got the marketing part, but if we go 3-9 or 4-8 next year, his seat will be very hot.

I've got a buddy who keeps telling me to wait for September 2022. That's when we'll see it happen. Not sure what we'll look like then, but the team really needs to show significant improvement next year or this hire could take down Stansbury as well.
So you’re saying that being in school on ‘90 means you know something about building a program?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No, they were all wrong. They picked us to finish last, which implies 0 or 1 win. All the analysts I saw predicted just that. Nobody has ever finished dead last in the ACC with more wins than that. There are plenty of videos out there that show how we weren’t favored at a > 50% win percentage in a single game pre-season. IIWII. My beef isn’t with you by the way - you’re just reporting what those idiots predicted.

They weren't all wrong. This site set the win total at 2.5, which is very much in line with most of what saw in the preseason. Even Vegas set the O/U on wins at 2.5.

SET THE GEORGIA TECH REGULAR SEASON WIN TOTAL AT … 2.5

Almost everyone else in the ACC has a relatively easy non-conference date, and Georgia Tech gets … UCF?! The Yellow Jackets should be the underdogs in all 11 games, but they’ll come up with a few wins somewhere – maybe at home to Duke or at Syracuse or Boston College.

Deleted member 2897

They weren't all wrong. This site set the win total at 2.5, which is very much in line with most of what saw in the preseason. Even Vegas set the O/U on wins at 2.5.

SET THE GEORGIA TECH REGULAR SEASON WIN TOTAL AT … 2.5

Almost everyone else in the ACC has a relatively easy non-conference date, and Georgia Tech gets … UCF?! The Yellow Jackets should be the underdogs in all 11 games, but they’ll come up with a few wins somewhere – maybe at home to Duke or at Syracuse or Boston College.

I'm sure there are more out there too. Notice these guys didn't pick us to finish last. Again, to be clear, I'm not pointing out to the people that picked us to win 2-3 games that they were wrong. I'm specifically talking about people like the ACC Sports Media who explicitly predicted us to finish dead last and win 0-1 game. There are tons of people like that who were ridiculously wrong. And, like I pointed out in the preseason - go back 25 years. We've NEVER finished last in recent memory. Duke has finished last 13 of the last 25 years...and did yet again this year LOLOLOLOLOL. 14 of the last 26 now. Why they didn't pick someone like Duke to finish last given that is crazy. They were wrong about us yet again. That's who my beef is with, not you. They rightly deserve to be called out for being so utterly and ridiculously wrong.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
Overall B-. Hard to coach a freshman qb to not make the mistakes he made. The phrase “money down” and graphics to support it on the big board, F-. So dang stupid and contrived, the other teams laugh at us.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Did I say that? I’ve been watching Georgia Tech football for 40+ years so I certainly know bad football when I see it and the last two years has been bad.
That’s pretty much what you said. What we have been seeing is what we all should have expected. It will get better as we begin to be able to put quality talent at every position. That’s what I have seen in my 50 years of watching Tech football.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm sure there are more out there too. Notice these guys didn't pick us to finish last. Again, to be clear, I'm not pointing out to the people that picked us to win 2-3 games that they were wrong. I'm specifically talking about people like the ACC Sports Media who explicitly predicted us to finish dead last and win 0-1 game. There are tons of people like that who were ridiculously wrong. And, like I pointed out in the preseason - go back 25 years. We've NEVER finished last in recent memory. Duke has finished last 13 of the last 25 years...and did yet again this year LOLOLOLOLOL. 14 of the last 26 now. Why they didn't pick someone like Duke to finish last given that is crazy. They were wrong about us yet again. That's who my beef is with, not you. They rightly deserve to be called out for being so utterly and ridiculously wrong.

Actually, they did predict us last. They only committed to one win, (it was in the link you sent), but set the over/under at 2.5 because they thought we'd pull out 2 maybe three wins before the season was over. Experts are more often right than wrong.

There are tons of people like that who were ridiculously wrong.

This is what I've been trying to say. They aren't ridiculously wrong. We won 3 games. Three. We had to come back to beat FSU, beat Duke and Louisville, who are both bad teams, and got blown out by the worst team in the ACC. If winning three games against the cellar of the ACC, and getting blown out by the door mat somehow puts us in 11th place in the ACC, crowing that the experts were ridiculously wrong for picking us last seems silly. We suck at football right now. Fortunately for us a couple other teams sucked worse this year. I find no satisfaction at being the least sticky piece of rubbish in the trash bin.

Now, before this gets interpreted as a shot at CGC, we were destined to be bad for 2-4 years the minute we made the decision to transition away from the 3O, and I am fully prepared to give CGC another 2-3 years to get his system in place. We not only need talent to run his system, we need depth and the years of experience as we grow old as a team. our schedules the next two years aren't doing any favors for us, so we might look a whole lot better next year and only eke out 5 wins. (We could also turn the corner a year early but I am not holding my breath on that).

Right now, the best thing to happen to us is the cancellation of the Miami game, as it gives the staff extra time off to finalize the recruiting season, where we desperately need to finish well.

Status
Not open for further replies.