Collins Recruiting Outcome

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I love the data that our fans bring to the board!

Are fans at GT satisfied with Collins recruiting? (It was better then CPJ and CCG).

With an average coach, what do you think our average team ranking would have been with a rank 40 level of recruiting?

1669300156888.png

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting data, but not a complete picture. We’d need to look at retention, too - which of the guys recruited stayed through their 2nd year of eligibility. I suspect CGC’s time would show a significant loss of recruits as compared to other recent GT HCs. Of course the transfer portal, etc would ls make a difference, but we saw a truly alarming talent drain as guys realized Emperor Geoff had no clothes.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Interesting data, but not a complete picture. We’d need to look at retention, too - which of the guys recruited stayed through their 2nd year of eligibility. I suspect CGC’s time would show a significant loss of recruits as compared to other recent GT HCs. Of course the transfer portal, etc would ls make a difference, but we saw a truly alarming talent drain as guys realized Emperor Geoff had no clothes.
He had no portal money and our donations in 21 were at 30 % of ACC.
HIS PLAN OF
A. UP
OR
B. OUT ended w option 2.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LOL, this is not about Collins, but what an average coach could do with Collins recruits. Collins was suppose to be GTs great recruiter.

But, yes, had I been a Collins cheerleader, I would want people to move along too.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
LOL, this is not about Collins, but what an average coach could do with Collins recruits. Collins was suppose to be GTs great recruiter.

But, yes, had I been a Collins cheerleader, I would want people to move along too.
I’d factor in transfers, which is hard to do, if this is going to be an intellectually honest discussion.

Simply because the transfer portal became increasingly relevant during his tenure, particularly by volume of transfers into and out of GT that offset recruiting rankings in a much more meaningful way.

The same will hold true after this offseason’s attrition, meaning it’s even more difficult to project the level of talent the next coach inherits.

And rankings alone distort the relevance of having a) talent and b) yrs of experience at the most important positions e.g., OL, DL and QB.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I’d factor in transfers, which is hard to do, if this is going to be an intellectually honest discussion.
Here's the outs and the ins that have/did contribute:

Outs- Gibbs, Domineck, Ivey, Bennett, Jaquon Griffin, Jamious Griffin

Ins- White, Eley, Sims, Hall

I'm not sure we're on the winning side of this one.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's the outs and the ins that have/did contribute:

Outs- Gibbs, Domineck, Ivey, Bennett, Jaquon Griffin, Jamious Griffin

Ins- White, Eley, Sims, Hall

I'm not sure we're on the winning side of this one.
wasnt there a wr that was here last year that contributed?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Kyric McGowan transferred in from Northwestern originally and signed a UDFA with Washington after his Senior year. Cut in late August.

yeah i knew he transferred in. i'd say that was a win for us.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Adonicus Sanders. 37 catches, 437 yards this year at Temple.

I was on the fence putting him down as a contributor. He's had solid stats at Temple.

I also considered Ahmarean Brown as a loss, but he's done little since leaving,

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I was on the fence putting him down as a contributor. He's had solid stats at Temple.

I also considered Ahmarean Brown as a loss, but he's done little since leaving,

I think he’s still considered a loss. He showed a ton of potential for us and tied Calvin’s freshman TD record. Leaving seems to have been bad for both parties.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Indeed. Faulkner musta been a GT fan. “The past is not dead. It’s not even past.”
Folks get on a bus and some sit in front to look ahead and some sit in rear to look behind. Some just enjoy.
The guys in back of bus have a clear view out rear window and as engineer types they study data where gt and others have been. They feel this info will statistically predict where we are and are going.

Unfortunately the present path ahead is not at all like the path behind.

Gt has had recent prez who were casually interested in gt athletics

The new prez sees gt sports role in creating way more highly loyal alumni and sidewalk fans.

FORTUNATELY we finally have a prez who wants to return gt sports into prominence. He is aiming high and deserves strong support everybody on the bus.

Lets Roll

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t think the chart is a good view for the same reason that some of the other people mentioned.
  1. Gailey is really hurt by Flunkgate. A year at 70 and in the 60’s is there because of that.
  2. Collins swapped to relying on the portal in class #3.
In my personal opinion, relying heavily on the portal was a bad choice, but Collins saw a change in college football and changed course.

In the OFEI + DFEI thread, we talk about this subject too. Recruiting is popular, and we have numbers and class ranks, but recruiting (as in what the recruiting sites publish) isn’t what a coaching staff should be focused on—a coaching staff should be focused on roster building.

Recruiting sites have more 5* DBs and QBs than linemen, and you can have a really slick looking class by having two 5* QBs. You only need a few QBs and you need a lot of linemen, though.

When New England was good, Belichick went into the draft with a multi-year plan to draft the replacement for current starters—he wasn’t trying to run his starter of the team, but he knew that you have only so many years of peak performance, so you need to start training a replacement well before you need them. On the other hand, you have the Falcons and a lot of other teams drafting a player who has to start RIGHT NOW because you have a gaping hole in the team. It’s like the little Dutch boy putting plugging leaks in the wall and having too many leaks to plug. In gambling terms, you have to successfully hit every time that way.

Collins did try to take younger transfers that would fill in after a year or two, but they kept getting injured or otherwise didn’t pan out. His roster construction plans didn’t work out. One problem is that he was either going for quick fixes or semi-quick fixes (or seemed to be).

Whether it was S&C, or talent evaluation, or managing how many roster slots went to which positions, or plain bad luck, Collins’ plans for the roster didn’t work out. I don’t think it was all luck.

There’s also the coaching aspect. It may not look like it TOMORROW when we play one of the best defensive lines in NCAA football, but I think the offensive line has improved this year. We’re holding the pocket longer in pass protection now that we’re down to our 3rd and 4th QBs :rolleyes: . I think we blocked better against FSU than at the beginning of the year, but Pyron was too hurt for us to have a good game.

Key is getting more out of the players than Collins did. He’s growing a team.

Another reason I think we should be “coaching first” is that you don’t know what you need if you haven’t developed what you have. If you’re doing a good job developing the 4* OT but they have slow feet and always will, then it’s time to get a new player in the pipeline (if you don’t already have one).