Collins on Packer & Durham

JacketFan137

Banned
With Tennessee’s loyal and huge fan base it will always be a lot easier to entice recruits than it will be at Tech where we bring recruits in to stand on the sidelines with a half full stadium.
it’s a little bit easier too when you’re the only program in tennessee who’s ever been good. vanderbilt averaged 23k fans each game this past season. not from tennessee but i imagine that vanderbilt’s fanbase is as bad if not worse of a percentage of their state as us

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
Lothridge and Joe both finished runner up in the Heisman. Joe not winning was a travesty. Billy not so much as he lost to Roger Staubach but he was a very good quarterback, place kicker, and punter. Lothridge beat UGA three years in a row.
Lothridge should have won it & Hamilton too. People just don't remember how good Billy the Kid was...qb, db, punter,fg & pat kicker too.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not the same as a HS recruit, but here's an example of a player leaving (graduated) because we don't offer the program he wants to pursue:
Physical therapy, occupational therapy, nursing, other professional services are tough at Tech. I almost brought these career paths up in another thread, as I think these are a few of the truly non-outlying degrees that someone could be looking for and not find at Tech. However, the HS students that talk about specific degree programs can easily find a path through Tech if they wanted to.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know guys who went to MEDICAL school from Tech. PT is that different?
Yes. This is a professional track program that includes clinical work as well as specific coursework. I think it would be difficult for a full-time student-athlete to be able to get through one of these professional programs and still play football.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I know guys who went to MEDICAL school from Tech. PT is that different?
Do you really think that because people have gone to medical school directly from GT that that happens to be the best path for Domineck to get to PT school? Just because it is possible to do a thing in a particular way doesn't mean that's the best way for every, single, person.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Do you really think that because people have gone to medical school directly from GT that that happens to be the best path for Domineck to get to PT school? Just because it is possible to do a thing in a particular way doesn't mean that's the best way for every, single, person.
This is true. PT is an undergraduate program that leads to a professional degree. You can't get this at Tech. It's one of the few professions there's not clear path. I absolutely agree Tech is not the best way to get to some careers for every person; just don't use a particular career path as an excuse as to why you're not interested in Tech because almost every career has a path through Tech. It's not easy, and it's definitely not for everyone, but if you want to be at Tech, there are ways.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is true. PT is an undergraduate program that leads to a professional degree. You can't get this at Tech. It's one of the few professions there's not clear path. I absolutely agree Tech is not the best way to get to some careers for every person; just don't use a particular career path as an excuse as to why you're not interested in Tech because almost every career has a path through Tech. It's not easy, and it's definitely not for everyone, but if you want to be at Tech, there are ways.

For some, it's not just that it's not "easy," but rather unnecessarily tedious. For instance, if you want to be a K-5 teacher, you can do that through GT, but you could do it with a lot less hassle at a traditional liberal arts college.

JacketFan137

Banned
For some, it's not just that it's not "easy," but rather unnecessarily tedious. For instance, if you want to be a K-5 teacher, you can do that through GT, but you could do it with a lot less hassle at a traditional liberal arts college.
if you want to really get into healthcare there’s much better routes both in our state and out of state.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
it’s a little bit easier too when you’re the only program in tennessee who’s ever been good. vanderbilt averaged 23k fans each game this past season. not from tennessee but i imagine that vanderbilt’s fanbase is as bad if not worse of a percentage of their state as us
We are not quite on the level of Tulane, Vanderbilt, and Duke but give it time and we just might join the club.

JacketFan137

Banned
We are not quite on the level of Tulane, Vanderbilt, and Duke but give it time and we just might join the club.
yeah our fanbase is older and dying off. we’re probably relevant 1.5 years out of every 4 for the past 3 decades and our in state rivals have dominated every one of our coaches since the 2000s. it’s certainly possible that the trend continues to get worse.

for now we at least aren’t that bad yet

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Tulane and Vandy each won 2 games in 2021. Duke and GT each won 3.
I did not check attendance but we probably had slightly higher average attendance. We are more like those teams than most of us are willing to admit. Fritz is on egg shells at Tulane. Vandy and Duke have made coaching changes. GT next?

JacketFan137

Banned
I did not check attendance but we probably had slightly higher average attendance. We are more like those teams than most of us are willing to admit. Fritz is on egg shells at Tulane. Vandy and Duke have made coaching changes. GT next?
we were around 34k average including the game at the benz and that was from an article prior to the uga game so it wasn’t just propped up on visiting tickets.

so slightly higher is an understatement relative to vandy. if you think our uga raid was bad, vandy’s was arguably worse.

i think we have a quicker path to turning it around than any of those schools but currently you are correct the trajectory isn’t the best

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
we were around 34k average including the game at the benz and that was from an article prior to the uga game so it wasn’t just propped up on visiting tickets.

so slightly higher is an understatement relative to vandy. if you think our uga raid was bad, vandy’s was arguably worse.

i think we have a quicker path to turning it around than any of those schools but currently you are correct the trajectory isn’t the best
I also should have added we are all academic schools. Even Stanford used to have some ranked teams but not recently.
They have become irrelevant. College football has transitioned into professional minor leagues for the NFL. It is blatant now where it was in the closet before. The NCAA is more of a joke than ever.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am about at the point of just admitting the college football landscape has changed to where it is impossible for academic schools that still cherish the idea of a true student-athlete to compete anymore with the elite factories that have morphed into professional football training grounds. The team that puzzles me the most is Vanderbilt. I wonder if the president of the university ever stops to question that just maybe being a laughingstock in football is really worth the money? Guess even the academia will prostitute itself in pursuit of money. Upon further review, Vanderbilt has won 3 games against UGA since 2000 but the last two have been very one sided with the Dwags winning the last one 62-0. Historically, Vanderbilt has won 20 games against UGA while losing 59, unfortunately most of those wins were prior to World War II with the longest win streak for the Commodores being 4 wins from 1901 to 1905. IIWII

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am about at the point of just admitting the college football landscape has changed to where it is impossible for academic schools that still cherish the idea of a true student-athlete to compete anymore with the elite factories that have morphed into professional football training grounds. The team that puzzles me the most is Vanderbilt. I wonder if the president of the university ever stops to question that just maybe being a laughingstock in football is really worth the money? Guess even the academia will prostitute itself in pursuit of money. Upon further review, Vanderbilt has won 3 games against UGA since 2000 but the last two have been very one sided with the Dwags winning the last one 62-0. Historically, Vanderbilt has won 20 games against UGA while losing 59, unfortunately most of those wins were prior to World War II with the longest win streak for the Commodores being 4 wins from 1901 to 1905. IIWII
Being from Nashville with several of my former HS classmates being Vandy alums, their attitude has become just take their lumps in football and concentrate on other sports that require fewer athletes. They are trying to rebuild basketball and have done well in baseball. They do pretty well in the country club sports like golf and tennis. They do like the SEC money. The other SEC FB schools like them as a guaranteed conference win in a tough league.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Being from Nashville with several of my former HS classmates being Vandy alums, their attitude has become just take their lumps in football and concentrate on other sports that require fewer athletes. They are trying to rebuild basketball and have done well in baseball. They do pretty well in the country club sports like golf and tennis. They do like the SEC money. The other SEC FB schools like them as a guaranteed conference win in a tough league.
I don't think GT alums and fans are ready for the Vandy model. I may be wrong, but there is still a strong sentiment for spending what we can to build up the program. Paul Johnson proved GT can win more than half our games with good coaching and the right athletes. So did Chan Gailey. It doesn't require a quirky offense.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't think GT alums and fans are ready for the Vandy model. I may be wrong, but there is still a strong sentiment for spending what we can to build up the program. Paul Johnson proved GT can win more than half our games with good coaching and the right athletes. So did Chan Gailey. It doesn't require a quirky offense.
Would be interesting to see Vandy go to flex bone or similar version but with more passing. That is their best chance in the SEC. They used to be on par with Kentucky but UK is now a decent team.