Collins on Packer & Durham

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I really don’t like the fact that he has “GC5” on his hoodie. Every time I feel like he’s growing up and starting to become more serious something like this happens. Nothing he does is concerning on its own, but when you combine everything together it feels like he’s just out there completely winging it and trying to build up his own brand. You aren’t a player. You shouldn’t want to be seen as a player. Why would you want to be associated with a jersey number as a head coach? Especially as a head coach who played FCS ball. If Tom Brady became a coach and he wore TB12 gear that’s one thing, but GC5 is just so goofy. He’s done nothing to earn such a designation. Especially at 9-25.
Maybe “GC5” is his pitch for getting that fifth year to figure out what he’s doing or a hopeful statement that 5 wins this year will show he is the real deal.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I know Tom Knight and others will complain that we are dogging the program, but Jesus, the GC5? Really? It's like he intentionally throws stuff our there for his own supporters to laugh at him about. There was no 404 or ATL or Takeover stuff, but GC5? Really? How did this guy get past the first interview?? Just shocking. I'm trying to think of a bigger "joke" as a head coach. Petrino? Yes, but he won games. Pete Carroll was a fun, player's coach, but he won titles. Just sad where our program is and this is the guy Stansbury gave a 7 year contract. Just sad.

Ok Tom Knight, Augusta, Forensisc, etc., go ahead and say I'm a bad fan and am repeating myself over and over. I am repeating myself, no doubt about that, but I did sit through that UGA game in November from before kickoff to The Horse, so don't think I'm a bad fan.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
One of the things that sort of stood out or at least a tidbit that CGC put out there was something to the effect of more work &less hype/talking/PR/rah rah. Hopefully that translates to success and execution on the field. It will be interesting. As Coach Lew would say (paraphrasing) don’t complain when it starts to rain from the storm that you have created. CGC has a steep up hill battle and lots of things (anxious fanbase, AD (under lots of pressure), unhappy big money donors, new coaching staff, open coaching/recruiting positions, NIL, transfer portal, recruiting, very aggressive game schedule, player expectations & hungry for wins, and uncertainty with his job as season progresses) downhill towards him. They say you can tell a lot about a person in how they respond to adversity & he’s up to his eye balls in adversity time will tell.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
One of the things that sort of stood out or at least a tidbit that CGC put out there was something to the effect of more work &less hype/talking/PR/rah rah. Hopefully that translates to success and execution on the field. It will be interesting. As Coach Lew would say (paraphrasing) don’t complain when it starts to rain from the storm that you have created. CGC has a steep up hill battle and lots of things (anxious fanbase, AD (under lots of pressure), unhappy big money donors, new coaching staff, open coaching/recruiting positions, NIL, transfer portal, recruiting, very aggressive game schedule, player expectations & hungry for wins, and uncertainty with his job as season progresses) downhill towards him. They say you can tell a lot about a person in how they respond to adversity & he’s up to his eye balls in adversity time will tell.
He is so far below adversity, I doubt he can look up and see it with a telescope.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know Tom Knight and others will complain that we are dogging the program, but Jesus, the GC5? Really? It's like he intentionally throws stuff our there for his own supporters to laugh at him about. There was no 404 or ATL or Takeover stuff, but GC5? Really? How did this guy get past the first interview?? Just shocking. I'm trying to think of a bigger "joke" as a head coach. Petrino? Yes, but he won games. Pete Carroll was a fun, player's coach, but he won titles. Just sad where our program is and this is the guy Stansbury gave a 7 year contract. Just sad.

Ok Tom Knight, Augusta, Forensisc, etc., go ahead and say I'm a bad fan and am repeating myself over and over. I am repeating myself, no doubt about that, but I did sit through that UGA game in November from before kickoff to The Horse, so don't think I'm a bad fan.
Why does that bother you?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Being the leader of the team, he is included when team gear is ordered. He was wearing white & gold, which satisfies half our members on here. He didn't wear the 404 or ATL stuff and that satisfies the other half. A team issue shirt with an insignificant logo, seems like a very odd hill to die on. We get it, you hate everything about CGC.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Being the leader of the team, he is included when team gear is ordered. He was wearing white & gold, which satisfies half our members on here. He didn't wear the 404 or ATL stuff and that satisfies the other half. A team issue shirt with an insignificant logo, seems like a very odd hill to die on. We get it, you hate everything about CGC.

No one is looking to die on the hill. It's just another clownish thing that adds another straw on to the camel's back of the Geoff Collins era at Georgia Tech. You would have to go out of your way to have "GC5" added to something. If it were "GC5 - Geoff Collins' 5 Steps to..... fighting hunger or homelessness in ATL? starting a cancer research fund? Anything with a real reason? Explain it. Otherwise, you, once again, set yourself up as the butt of the joke without even knowing that's what you just did.

Like I said, I wanted him to succeed. He wants to be here. He's just way in over his head and can't gauge the temperature of the fan base or anything else. It's unfortunate. It had potential to work really well and now it's just become a joke.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
No one is looking to die on the hill. It's just another clownish thing that adds another straw on to the camel's back of the Geoff Collins era at Georgia Tech. You would have to go out of your way to have "GC5" added to something. If it were "GC5 - Geoff Collins' 5 Steps to..... fighting hunger or homelessness in ATL? starting a cancer research fund? Anything with a real reason? Explain it. Otherwise, you, once again, set yourself up as the butt of the joke without even knowing that's what you just did.

Like I said, I wanted him to succeed. He wants to be here. He's just way in over his head and can't gauge the temperature of the fan base or anything else. It's unfortunate. It had potential to work really well and now it's just become a joke.
Why is it clownish? Why does anyone need to explain it to you? (Although I will)
A TON of team gear when issued to the team and everyone associated with it have their initials and number on it as to be easily identified. In D2, we had Rub-a-Dub markers to write our names on our travel gear, socks and anything else the equipment staff washed for us. Nowadays, D1 team gear that is issued for practice, travel, gameday or any other team gathering is labeled in the same style that CGC had on to make it easier to put in lockers (yes, all coaches at every other D1 program have lockers too) He didn't stay up late one night in his basement designing it just for him. And if you listened to the interview, you would have heard he was headed to a team event (practice, conditioning or meetings) as soon as the interview was over.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Why is it clownish? Why does anyone need to explain it to you? (Although I will)
A TON of team gear when issued to the team and everyone associated with it have their initials and number on it as to be easily identified. In D2, we had Rub-a-Dub markers to write our names on our travel gear, socks and anything else the equipment staff washed for us. Nowadays, D1 team gear that is issued for practice, travel, gameday or any other team gathering is labeled in the same style that CGC had on.

Great. And most that I have seen going back 40 years have the player's number and sometimes their name.

If it said, Coach Collins, great. Or Geoff Collins, fantastic. Why GC5? If there is a reason for that explain it. If not, why is there a 5 there? Again, haven't seen NS7 or KS16 on anything for Saban or Kirby. I haven't done it, but I would imagine if we looked at all of the coaches that have been on Packer and Durham recently, none would have MB1 or TE17 on their shirt.

It's simply another "thing" that's silly or stupid by Collins. If his shirt were blank there, no one would be saying anything.

And no one has to explain anything to me. If there is a reason for it, he should state that. Otherwise, it's just another reason to look like he's the 15 year old kid trying to fit in with the cool kids and got access to the print machine where the t-shirts are being made.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I just don't understand why you care. No one that is not looking to blast him is going to look at the GC5 and care what it means. I just don't get why people think that is important.