Collins may make Adidas kick it up

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
And that team was literally 2 plays away from going undefeated - both 4th and short that failed. One against Auburn and I can't recall the other. Of course, that wasn't on the D.
Tennessee tied us on a field goal on the last play of the game. Virginia just flat out beat us early in the season in a game we did not play well. We held Bo Jackson in check all game until he broke a long one in the 4th quarter that cost us the lead. And as you mentioned, we could not get it done offensively at the end.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The D has to earn that. IMHO.

The true Black Watch of 1985 held 3 ranked SEC opponents to 17, 6 and 16. Pitched two ACC shutouts (and held Clemson to 3). Gave up a season high of only 24 points. Led the team to a 9-2-1 record, a ranked finish and a bowl win back when that meant something...

Last year's D gave up 49 points to a G5 team... Can't/shouldn't appropriate the "Black Watch" legend unless it's a top D in the nation. IMHO

Let me tell you, I saw a Clemson running back get hit by either Roof or Pat Swilling and its a wonder his head didn't come off with the helmet. Cleve Pounds, Roof, Swilling and the rest of that bunch took defense seriously. They did not all get to wear the "black watch" stripe but it wasn't from a lack of hitting that's for sure.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not relevant to the OP, so mods please move where you feel necessary, but I wonder if we will get more night games. It’s no secret that our best crowds are evening kickoffs, so I wonder if CGC will try to pull some strings to get us more prime time kicks.

I have no idea but I think night games ( or game start times in general) have a lot more to do with other factors than a coach pulling strings.

Greenjackets

Georgia Tech Fan
Adidas sponsors Kansas, Nebraska, TX A&M, Wash Huskies, Miami, FL & OH, NCSU, Arizona State, Louisville, Indiana....+ others......win games on the field and the rest will take care of itself. I graduated 26 years ago hence am a huge fan and in the seats every Saturday in the fall but at this point all we have is optimism but nothing in terms of wins and losses to make us a a more worthy client for Adidas. I very much hope Collins will kick it up, time will tell.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have a strong feeling coach is going to get Adidas to start making some NICE products for us. Sure the gold problem will always be a problem.

I saw a post on the 404 hats that we will have them SOON from Adidas.... that is big news on it's own.

I expect to see 6 new jerseys in the next 2 years, and a ton of new products for fans to buy. Collins is about marketing and branding. I would be floored if he doesn't have his hand firmly on Adidas with what he wants to do with apparel and the teams uniforms.
How exactly? A contract is a contract is a contract., and those are signed in the AD's office. If the guy can just coach I don't care about all that peripheral stuff.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
How exactly? A contract is a contract is a contract., and those are signed in the AD's office. If the guy can just coach I don't care about all that peripheral stuff.

Well coach worked with under armour to design uniforms for Temple. Now none of us know what is written in a contract, but I doubt it stated he would have creative control at temple. I wish Collins was here 2 years ago and he could of had that written in the Adidas contract.

I won't be surprised if we see him pushing Adidas. He is a salesmen and I truly believe he can sell Adidas on making this program bigger in their lineup. If they see how much we raised for a friggin hat that says 404, they should be willing to ramp up support for more and better products.

Collins is about what gets kids in the program. He will leave no stone unturned. Dont be surprised if we become Oregon 2.0 but for Adidas. Not saying it will happen just don't be surprised if he will push for it. Even if it costs the program money he will push.

Older generations won't like it, but it's not about them. It's about getting quality players on the team. Being a top 15 recruiting program year in and year out.

If we don't have an arsenal of 4-6 uniform options by December next year I'll be surprised

slugboy

Staff member
The contract specifies the bare minimums, but if Adidas wants to do more they can. Plus, there's a "look-in".
The players do care though. A lot of 18-22 year olds care about how they look on the football field. They want to look cool. For the past 10+ years, there have been teams rolling out with special uniforms, and aside from the honeycomb helmets we've been out of that.
Collins can do a lot more to move the needle on excitement for the team and the uniforms than Todd Stansbury. That'll pay dividends in recruiting.
IMO, getting pumped up only lasts so long on game day. But during the week, having something to look forward to makes a difference in practice, and that makes a difference on Saturdays.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
So so true! Good post Skeptic. CGC absolutely deserves a ton of credit for the enthusiasm, branding, and early recruiting success. As for multiple Orange Bowls, ACC championship games and championships (screw the hapless ncaa), and knocking off ugag in Athens THREE times---he has some heavy lifting to do. 15-10 in a lesser league with a program turned around by his predecessor, at a minimum calls for "lets see". We all have to be excited about what he, his staff, AND TStan has done so far, yet the bottom line is the bottom line. The 2021 season is the said, bottom line. Well....let's see.

It's not a lot of supporters' first rodeo when it comes to coaching changes. THWG, Z