Collins - Expectations and time to get things right?

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would we assume a drop off from this year? I believe anything less than a bowl appearance would be a disappointment.

I believe we have an offensive line that can be coached up to pass block, plenty of talent at running back, young talent in the defensive backfield and possibly LB. If the defensive line can be shored up the defense can win some games as the offense gels.

Finding a QB that fits the system to me is one question that won't be answered until next year. Maybe the new QB from Milton will be the answer.

I am buying into Collin's narrative.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I think patience on the field will be bought if there are several good recruiting classes being brought in. Mind you, Purdue gave Jeff Brohm a raise to $6 million per year (with incentives) after a 6-6 season. Sounds ridiculous until you see that Purdue's recruiting class is currently ranked 25th. Purdue's 5 previous recruiting classes were ranked 70th (2014), 67th (2015), 80th (2016), 72nd (2017), and 51st (2018). I am personally most excited about seeing what Collins and his staff can do on the recruiting trail. Big recruiting wins are almost as exciting as actual wins.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You guys are arguing the margins imo. 7 wins or less will disappoint many. 8 or more will please most. How far below or above will determine to what degree.

Less than 7 is possible due to scheme changes. This involves not only new techniques and plays but also a whole new language for play calls on all 3 teams. Learning curve could be present, confusion also. Throw in some bad breaks here and there and 7 or less is possible. Winning isn’t easy at this level.

8 or more is also possible. I see no reason to believe our team won’t buy in 100% to the new regime. When teams do this after a change they sometimes exceed expectations. I’m not buying the notion we are bereft of talent. If we can get good QB play we could very well win more than 8. That’s doable.

8-10 wins is doable but it isn’t exactly ain’t likely unless we find a good group of linebackers and a pass rusher to compliment what we have on D.

Expectations should be reasonable in year one. After year one I don’t see any reason to expect less than what was expected of prior regimes.

slugboy

Staff member
We could improve a lot and still go 6-6 or 7-5 with some bad breaks.

Seeing us do the right things better is what I want to see. On defense, tackling and getting into position have been problems for a while. Minnesota pushed us around in Detroit. On offense, passing efficiency has been a problem for years. I haven’t seen good kickoff returns in ages, it seems.

I think our players have mental toughness, but there were head scratching issues that we kept up for years.

I think we can improve on those things in year 1. That’s what I’ll look for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
You guys are arguing the margins imo. 7 wins or less will disappoint many. 8 or more will please most. How far below or above will determine to what degree.

Less than 7 is possible due to scheme changes. This involves not only new techniques and plays but also a whole new language for play calls on all 3 teams. Learning curve could be present, confusion also. Throw in some bad breaks here and there and 7 or less is possible. Winning isn’t easy at this level.

8 or more is also possible. I see no reason to believe our team won’t buy in 100% to the new regime. When teams do this after a change they sometimes exceed expectations. I’m not buying the notion we are bereft of talent. If we can get good QB play we could very well win more than 8. That’s doable.

8-10 wins is doable but it isn’t exactly ain’t likely unless we find a good group of linebackers and a pass rusher to compliment what we have on D.

Expectations should be reasonable in year one. After year one I don’t see any reason to expect less than what was expected of prior regimes.
6-6 is bare minimum outside of excessive injuries.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
6-6 is bare minimum outside of excessive injuries.

Not saying that result will make people happy. But if a few things go sideways it won’t be an indictment on the future. 6-6 followed by 6-6 is another story and a red flag. Year 3 would need to show a lot more promise then.

doug

Georgia Tech Fan
And we are back to the no drop off despite a complete overhaul on both sides take.
Even Bill Lewis won five games each of his first two seasons, in a time where teams played fewer cupcakes and fewer games. So, that's the floor. If Collins can't do much better than Bill Lewis with an extra cupcake game on the schedule that Lewis didn't get, then I'm not sure why he's here.

Animal02

Banned
Or what? He’s got 5 years minimum unless something ridiculous happens. Too many holes on this team to fill to make such demands.
Bull. If he is not above 500 after year two.....year three he needs a '14 like season or he will be toast.....and TStan may not be far behind.
Holes to fill ....once again, the school girl crush crowd sets the far way too low.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Even Bill Lewis won five games each of his first two seasons, in a time where teams played fewer cupcakes and fewer games. So, that's the floor. If Collins can't do much better than Bill Lewis with an extra cupcake game on the schedule that Lewis didn't get, then I'm not sure why he's here.

And Bobby Ross won 5 games total his first two years.

Milwaukee

Banned
He starts out at least his first 2 seasons at 0-2 before the season even starts with how large the gap is between us and Clemson and UGA. So he's got 10 games to get us to 8 wins, which I think should be the GT minimum year in and year out. Gonna be tough.

Animal02

Banned
He starts out at least his first 2 seasons at 0-2 before the season even starts with how large the gap is between us and Clemson and UGA. So he's got 10 games to get us to 8 wins, which I think should be the GT minimum year in and year out. Gonna be tough.
If he stays above .500 his first two years, I will say he has been a success.