Collins’ salary 56th among FBS coaches USA Today Report

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Break out the OMS program and come back with the numbers. These folks are not on campus.

Below is just the OMSCS
They were still admitted though, were they not? All I know of the referenced law is what forensicbuzz said, which was that 60% of those admitted must be Georgia natives. Even if you remove 10k from the number, 14k out of 29k isn't 60%, so I'm trying to better understand what the law says.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I understand it was a joke, just not a very good one given your post history or the context of the OP. Which is we’re being outspent by nearly half the teams in college football, and basically every team in our conference
I would just about bet my house that folks who post such views about being "outspent" are the same ones who scream at Washington for "throwing money at the problem."

He/she has some weird obsession with Coach’s wardrobe. This isn’t the first comment on the matter.
He has a weird obsession because Collins' taste is weird.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I would just about bet my house that folks who post such views about being "outspent" are the same ones who scream at Washington for "throwing money at the problem."
Apples to carburetors. Athletic programs spend money voluntarily donated to them by supporters. Washington does not.

...or wait, does it? Can I write off my federal taxes as a voluntary charitable contribution, and then deduct the expense from my federal taxes?
1634747354693.gif

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I already question the statistics. By Georgia Law, 60% of admitted students have to be Georgia natives. Now, I know you can have over 40% out-of-state and still meet that requirement, but I think more than 60% are coming from instate. The Asian and international student population are so small as to be irrelevant in what we're talking about.

GT student body looks an awful lot like the student body most everywhere else. We're talking about kids that are interested in going to a football game. Your prejudiced hypotheses are uninformed because you have no data to support them. I'm not attacking you here. But, you're insinuating the Asian population is not interested in football and other sports, but I had a ton of Asian friends who were interested in GT sports. Not necessarily the ones from other countries, but that's not the demographic you described. You're making assumptions that are based on your internal bias, not on factual evidence. You don't know what percentage of each demographic at GT does and does not attend GT games. I've always noticed the diverse demographic amongst the student body at games. Again, I'm not attacking you for what you said, just pointing out that it doesn't seem to be well thought out.
You are absolutely correct I am making assumptions based on my internal bias.

The data they are using is coming from the data the schools have to produce.
Having 40% of undergraduate students coming from out of state suggests one of two things, either GT admits pretty close to that 60% from GA, or a higher percentage of in-state students are leaving the school than out of state students over time. Either one could be reasonably true - don't know if they are. If i'm GT, i'm going to admit the percentage from GA I am required to and no more, because I get more revenue from out of state students than in-state students. If you are required to take a certain percentage of in-state that would suggest you also have to dig deeper in the academic pool to get to that percentage, so it would be interesting if they ever provided information on in-state student numbers (GPA/SAT) vs out of state numbers.

The big point I was trying to make - which does have alot of evidence to back it up, is that GT's main campus student body looks significantly different from almost all the other schools it competes against. That may or may not play into how many alumni ultimately care about the AA.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Apples to carburetors. Athletic programs spend money voluntarily donated to them by supporters. Washington does not.

...or wait, does it? Can I write off my federal taxes as a voluntary charitable contribution, and then deduct the expense from my federal taxes?
View attachment 11453
A distinction without a difference I fear.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
They were still admitted though, were they not? All I know of the referenced law is what forensicbuzz said, which was that 60% of those admitted must be Georgia natives. Even if you remove 10k from the number, 14k out of 29k isn't 60%, so I'm trying to better understand what the law says.
The 60% is most likely "freshmen", when someone oversees is admitted in the OMS program it doesn't matter where they live, or lived. Also consider legacies who may have never lived in Georgia, they can come in during their second year without limitations regarding residency.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The 60% is most likely "freshmen", when someone oversees is admitted in the OMS program it doesn't matter where they live, or lived. Also consider legacies who may have never lived in Georgia, they can come in during their second year without limitations regarding residency.
This sounds like you are just guessing. Again, I want to see the text of the law. I found this semi-related excerpt from an article in 2020:

"While many of the students admitted early to Georgia Tech are from out of state, Cabrera said in-state students still account for 60% of the university's total enrollment."

That reads to me as 60% of all students enrolled, not just in-person or freshmen. But, that doesn't jive with Georgia Tech's self published numbers, so I'm trying to understand the law in question and how the numbers are being calculated. Not looking for guesses, just facts.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Budget dictates potential salary ->
Potential salary dictates potential coaching ->
Potential coaching dictates potential wins ->
Potential wins dictate potential budget ->….
Following up until step 4. Hasn’t necessarily been true at Tech in the past. Let’s hope we find out in the next few years that it’s true.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Following up until step 4. Hasn’t necessarily been true at Tech in the past. Let’s hope we find out in the next few years that it’s true.
When has Tech put together multiple successful years in a row to test the theory? The closest we’ve gotten in the modern era of salary explosions was 08-09, and blowing the UGA game that year really hurt. Then we followed it up with a 6-7 performance.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
When has Tech put together multiple successful years in a row to test the theory? The closest we’ve gotten in the modern era of salary explosions was 08-09, and blowing the UGA game that year really hurt. Then we followed it up with a 6-7 performance.
As I said I would love to see if it’s true.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This sounds like you are just guessing. Again, I want to see the text of the law. I found this semi-related excerpt from an article in 2020:

"While many of the students admitted early to Georgia Tech are from out of state, Cabrera said in-state students still account for 60% of the university's total enrollment."

That reads to me as 60% of all students enrolled, not just in-person or freshmen. But, that doesn't jive with Georgia Tech's self published numbers, so I'm trying to understand the law in question and how the numbers are being calculated. Not looking for guesses, just facts.
Agree, just pointing out over a third of the students are OMS and most of them have not before and will not step on campus while in the Online Masters program.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Per the Georgia Tech Factbook for 2020, 13,900 enrolled students (grad and undergrad) were from Georgia, out of 29,914 from the US. An additional 9,837 students are from other countries, mostly China and India. Now I'm no good at calculus or diff eq anymore, but division I think I can still handle and I fail to see how you get anywhere near 60% in-state from those numbers. Can you link the text of the Georgia law you are referencing?
That includes online students, and those students are irrelevant to this discussion. I believe the 60% is only an undergraduate number.

No, I’m not going to research the Georgia Law. That law was part of the reason the so many people were flushed from GT historically. I remember reading an article in the AJC back in the late 80’s where they talked about the number of valedictorians from the schools in Georgia that went to Tech each year. It was like 65%. 80% of those kids were flushed out of GT their first year. They weren’t prepared for the rigors at Tech.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Admitted doesn’t mean enrolled. So, I’m not sure how the true numbers unfold.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
That includes online students, and those students are irrelevant to this discussion. I believe the 60% is only an undergraduate number.

No, I’m not going to research the Georgia Law. That law was part of the reason the so many people were flushed from GT historically. I remember reading an article in the AJC back in the late 80’s where they talked about the number of valedictorians from the schools in Georgia that went to Tech each year. It was like 65%. 80% of those kids were flushed out of GT their first year. They weren’t prepared for the rigors at Tech.
I have searched the USG website and spent a decent bit of time searching for this supposed law, and nothing has come up. The only thing I've found so far related to the topic is this excerpt from an article about UGA's in-state student rates from 2016:

"UGA has no formal policy on in-state vs. out-of-state enrollment"

If such a law existed 30+ years ago, it doesn't appear to anymore.

The article also discussed UGA's enrollment #s, which we can look at and compare to Tech to see if the campus makeup is similar - unsurprisingly (to most of us), it is not. Spring 2016, UGA had 1,882 non-US citizen students and 4,344 from out of state. Students from Georgia numbered 28,630.

Fall of 2016, GT had 5,959 international students, 9,632 out of state students, and 11,248 in state students.

So we have a non-existent law, a significant international student population, a student body that does not resemble that of our peers,

I already question the statistics. By Georgia Law, 60% of admitted students have to be Georgia natives... I think more than 60% are coming from instate. The Asian and international student population are so small as to be irrelevant in what we're talking about.

GT student body looks an awful lot like the student body most everywhere else... Your prejudiced hypotheses are uninformed because you have no data to support them... you're insinuating the Asian population is not interested in football and other sports, but I had a ton of Asian friends who were interested in GT sports. ...You're making assumptions that are based on your internal bias, not on factual evidence.

Whole lotta wrong in this quote, and there is something ironic about dismissing others' arguments for not providing factual evidence while providing nothing but anecdotes yourself.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have searched the USG website and spent a decent bit of time searching for this supposed law, and nothing has come up. The only thing I've found so far related to the topic is this excerpt from an article about UGA's in-state student rates from 2016:

"UGA has no formal policy on in-state vs. out-of-state enrollment"

If such a law existed 30+ years ago, it doesn't appear to anymore.

The article also discussed UGA's enrollment #s, which we can look at and compare to Tech to see if the campus makeup is similar - unsurprisingly (to most of us), it is not. Spring 2016, UGA had 1,882 non-US citizen students and 4,344 from out of state. Students from Georgia numbered 28,630.

Fall of 2016, GT had 5,959 international students, 9,632 out of state students, and 11,248 in state students.

So we have a non-existent law, a significant international student population, a student body that does not resemble that of our peers,

Whole lotta wrong in this quote, and there is something ironic about dismissing others' arguments for not providing factual evidence while providing nothing but anecdotes yourself.
Well, just because you can't find it, doesn't mean it's not there. I'm not saying it is anymore, but it definitely was 30 years ago. My recollection is not anecdotal, it was factual.

Are your enrollment numbers accurate? Does Georgia Tech have 22,000 undergraduates now? When I was there, we had 12,000 undergrads. I know it increased, but I didn't think it was that much. If that includes grad students, then those numbers are meaningless to the discussion. Edit: Actually, looking at total undergraduate enrollment in 2020, we had 16,562 students.

Looking at the numbers, ~10% (9.2%) of GT's undergraduate population is International. In 2020, of 16,562 undergraduates 1,523 were International reference. That means that there are about 15,000 undergraduates on campus from the US. Of those approximately 15,000 undergraduates, 10,322 are from Georgia (>60%). "Undergraduate enrollment also climbed slightly to 16,562 students. The Fall 2020 class includes 10,322 undergraduate students from Georgia, which is more than 60% of the undergraduate population. reference"

That 90% US population is pretty much consistent with most of our peers. But, even if it were 95% for our peers, the small difference in numbers is irrelevant. I disagree with your premise that we don't resemble our peers. Of those approximately 15,000 undergraduates, 10,322 are from Georgia (>60%)

International undergraduate students as part of the undergraduate population (% of undergraduate population considered international)
Duke: 664 of 6,682 (9.9)
UVA: 775 of 16,777 (4.6)
Wake Forest: 521 of 5,225 (10.0)
Stanford: 739 of 7,087 (10.4)
UCLA: 3,654 of 31,577 (11.6)
Vanderbilt: 607 of 6,861 (8.8)
NW: 841 of 8,194 (10.3)
Cal-Berkeley: 4,001 of 30,853 (13.2)
Michigan: 2,244 of 30,318 (7.4)
ND: 590 of 8,617 (6.8)
Texas: 2,248 of 40,804 (5.5)
USCw: 2,664 of 19,907 (13.4)
Purdue: 4,651 of 33,702 (13.8)

And to your final comment, it's ironic that we're talking about the student body coming to football games and you're touting numbers including graduate students. That alone weakens the credibility of your argument. The comment about others' arguments was directed to the assumption that someone identifying as "Asian" wouldn't be interested in football. That's a statement that has a very questionable basis. I believe upon reflection @RamblinRed would have made that statement in a very different way. I have great respect for that particular font.

Anecdotally, I had friends at Tech from all over the world, of every ethnicity you could imagine go to games and become total Tech fans as undergraduates. I also spent plenty of time on the campuses at uga, Clemson, USCe, and Auburn when I was an undergraduate. There were tons of average joe Americans that wanted nothing to do with the school sports. What someone looks like or where they're from doesn't relate to whether someone is a sports fan or not.