Collin Sexton & Alabama basketball discussion

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
That was truly amazing. Sexton is a warrior man...pounding down Gatorade, and little snacks in between timeouts along with hitting the oxygen mask. He scored 40 POINTS....40!

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Minnesota’s problem was trying to double the Bama players. I would have manned up on them with a big under the basket to eliminate drives and another guy standing in the middle to snipe passing lanes and take off down the floor every shot to cherry pick fast breaks.

Played a lot of 1v1v1 in my day - enough to know that sometimes it’s easier to beat a double team because they never know what exactly the other defender is gonna be doing. A lot harder to beat a guy manned on you with another guy behind him cleaning up any drives. Basically forces you into a jump shot every time.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That was a terrible call on the Bama bench. They never were involved in the on-court skirmish.
That doesn't matter. The rule is there to KEEP the players from even thinking about leaving the bench. If the rules leave any wiggle room for "intent," then it loses it's power. This way, if you enter the court of play, you're gone, period. Great message to send to the other teams.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That doesn't matter. The rule is there to KEEP the players from even thinking about leaving the bench. If the rules leave any wiggle room for "intent," then it loses it's power. This way, if you enter the court of play, you're gone, period. Great message to send to the other teams.
I do not disagree with you about the rule, but the bench was sitting almost on the side line. As soon as the players stood up they were virtually on the floor. That is a situation where the refs, using the replay, should have identified the players who were egregious in their violation of the rule. It was a very emotional situation. It is not reasonable to expect young men to react dispassionately.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I do not disagree with you about the rule, but the bench was sitting almost on the side line. As soon as the players stood up they were virtually on the floor. That is a situation where the refs, using the replay, should have identified the players who were egregious in their violation of the rule. It was a very emotional situation. It is not reasonable to expect young men to react dispassionately.
I think if the bench would have stayed where they were when they first stood up, they probably wouldn't have been ejected. They were on the court, but not much, and there was a gap between the action and the players. However, when it started to escalate, they ALL came onto the court, inside the 3-point arc. That's why they were ejected. The problem is that the more bodies that are present, the more likely it is to escalate. If everyone stays away, the refs can control the 2-3 people involved. When it gets crowded, more chance for a brawl. Refs were correct for removing the entire bench.