College World Series

Deleted member 2897

Can't really blame Notre Dame or Duke for not making it. The tournament made them underdogs to actually make it. Despite being the higher seed, Notre Dame had to be the away team 3x against Mississippi State. Couldn't even host a regional.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Field is set. All P5s.
3xSEC, 2xP12, 2xACC, 1xB12

5 National seeds
Texas, Tennessee, Vandy, Arizona, Miss St

1 #9-16 seed
Stanford

2 unseeded
NC State, UVA

-SEC Regular season & Tournament champ (Arkansas) not there
-ACC Regular season (Notre Dame) & Tournament (Duke) champs not there

and our record this season against the two ACC teams was what?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
The NC State we played the opening ACC series didn't seem to be the one that beat Arkansas unless we went in an opposite downward spiral. Which pitching wise may have been the case.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Hope none of the teams get shut down by the COVID Delta variant.
View attachment 10713

I guess there is no backup plan is a team has to forfeit. Hope the teams have had all their guys vaccinated - both shots (if Pfizer or Moderna) since England is finding out that only one shot doesn't do it. But 45% of the English adults have had both shots (compared to the 40% in the US) and 80% have had one shot. (We are going to England for two weeks in August unless there is a quarantine ........ so I'm kind of following. Today extended restrictions a month - https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/14/world/europe/england-covid-restrictions.html )
If the players would simply get the vaccine, this wouldn't be a problem worth discussing. But, since IFR's remain extremely low throughout the region (last I looked Georgia's rate was well BELOW 4% nowadays) , I am guessing that it will be a far smaller risk than earlier since many have either had covid OR gotten the vaccination.

I am surprised to hear you say that the UK has learned only one shot isn't enough. Link?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The NC State we played the opening ACC series didn't seem to be the one that beat Arkansas unless we went in an opposite downward spiral. Which pitching wise may have been the case.
It's a shame we couldn't have progressed throughout the season as much as NCSt seemed to have.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's a shame we couldn't have progressed throughout the season as much as NCSt seemed to have.

Watching any team in any sport show tremendous progress and growth over the course of a season is one of the most fun things to witness as a fan. This year's Tech basketball team is another example as is the 2014 FB team. At the end of the year that team was a monster and were visibly better than they were in September.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
They had very veteran starters as far as there non-pitchers go. They didn’t panic w the slow start and righted the ship. They did have a couple of freshmen pitchers who seemed to have made strides for them this year. So I agree w/ you comment concerning our pitching. With the exception of Grissom, it didn’t seem like there was consistent improvement (or in some cases, no improvement or even regression) with our pitching.

Deleted member 2897

I don't look at it that way. NC State finished 29-8. They started the ACC 1-8. But 3 of those 8 losses were to us: 9-2, 8-3, 8-4. We were ranked in the top 10. 2 of the remaining 5 losses were against Miami 6-4, 6-4. Miami won both times late in the game and they were also ranked in the top 10. Their remaining 3 losses were @Louisville which included a 6-3 and a 8-3 where again they were close games until late. And yes, Louisville was also ranked in the top 10. NC State should have had better outcomes then, but I don't think it was from them playing badly as much as it was playing 3 straight series against top 10 teams and not getting much luck their way at all.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
That makes them something like 10-1 this year in 1-run games. God’s team.
They showed a stat last night... (can't recall the exact numbers). But teams that lose that 1st game RARELY win the CWS. Vandy dodged a bullet.

NC State beat the best Stanford could offer (pitching wise)... & did it handily by running up pitch counts. If they can somehow keep it close v Leiter tomorrow... I am looking forward to seeing what they can do. Until something changes, though... Vandy is the team to beat. ...the one you have to go through & likely 2 times.

Meanwhile.... go Wahoos!!

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
They showed a stat last night... (can't recall the exact numbers). But teams that lose that 1st game RARELY win the CWS. Vandy dodged a bullet.

NC State beat the best Stanford could offer (pitching wise)... & did it handily by running up pitch counts. If they can somehow keep it close v Leiter tomorrow... I am looking forward to seeing what they can do. Until something changes, though... Vandy is the team to beat. ...the one you have to go through & likely 2 times.

Meanwhile.... go Wahoos!!
read this morning
Of the past 39 College World Series, the eventual champion has won its first game 35 times.

Bullpen saved their a$$